Blasts shatter post-race euphoria

Published: Tue, April 16, 2013 @ 12:01 a.m.

photo

Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia breaks the finish line tape to win the 2013 running of the Boston Marathon in Boston on Monday.

Related stories:

Valley runners express dismay

Security beefed up worldwide after Boston Marathon blasts

Families seek word on runners

Associated Press

BOSTON

Two bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon finish line Monday about three hours after Lelisa Desisa and Rita Jeptoo crossed it to win the race. At least three people were killed and scores more injured, some seriously.

Race volunteers and public officials rushed to the aid of wounded spectators, and the medical tent set up to care for fatigued runners was quickly converted to a trauma clinic. Runners and spectators were crying as they fled the billowing gray smoke rising from a running gear store overlooking the end of the course.

The explosion sent some runners tumbling to the pavement and others, already unsteady from the 26.2-mile run, were knocked down by those rushing toward the scene. A Rhode Island state trooper who ran in the race said the blasts tore limbs off dozens of people.

The blasts shattered the post-race euphoria of what had been a pleasantly uneventful 117th edition of the world’s oldest and most prestigious annual marathon. Runners still on the course were diverted to the Boston Common; race officials said 4,496 runners had crossed the checkpoint at more than 24 miles but did not make it to the finish line.

A year after record high temperatures sent unprecedented numbers of participants to the medical tent, temperatures in the high 40s greeted the field of 23,326 at the Hopkinton starting line. It climbed to 54 degrees by the time the winners reached Boston’s Copley Square.

Desisa, of Ethiopia, won a three-way sprint down Boylston Street to finish in 2 hours, 10 minutes, 22 seconds and snap a string of three consecutive Kenyan victories.

“Here we have a relative newcomer,” said Ethiopia’s Gebregziabher Gebremariam, who finished third

In just his second race at 26.2 miles, Desisa finished 5 seconds ahead of Kenya’s Micah Kogo to earn $150,000 and the traditional olive wreath. American Jason Hartmann finished fourth for the second year in a row.

Related videos:

Comments

1truth101(20 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Sad as it is to imagine, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we find that those responsible for this are tied to extremist gun rights groups supported by the NRA in an effort to arouse fear.
Think about it. They probably didn't intend to kill anyone - just cause injury and panic at a time when tougher gun laws are being debated.
I can hear the NRA coming out with a statement saying "See, this is why everyone needs to have guns to protect themselves from increased terrorism!"

2redeye1(4560 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Truth 101 It works both ways, Or it could be OBAMMY trying to get our minds off the topic of gun control for awhile . In the mean time he pushes through the new laws Think about it! And I just read else where , Where they (ourGOV"T) were having terrorist attack training yesterday not far from where this took place. Just another thought

3excel(284 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Does the right of those with little minds trump the rest of us who only want to live in peace? Now is the time to ban all of the guns and eliminate the availability of ammo. Bomb making componets must be eliminated and or being easily obtained by the public. These tempertantrums by the little minds need to be stopped.

4cambridge(3027 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

truth....no one is for responsible gun control more than I am but your comment at this time has no merit.

I remember the day I was at work when some guy walked up to me and told me "the Muslims just blew up a day care center in Oklahoma City."

5mjusino(15 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

truth: Funny, me and my son immediately thought there might have been a connection too. Hard to believe we're actually thinking this way.

cambridge: "Muslims" ??

6cambridge(3027 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

mjusino....my point is the guy that told me that was wrong. The authorities are on it and will find out who did it and bring them to justice. Blaming the nra or any other group of nuts is the wrong thing to do. Let the people on the job do their job and keep the victims and Boston in your heart.

7truth101(20 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

cambridge: Your point is well taken and accepted. I meant to pose a possible alternate scenario to "foreign terrorists" for people to consider, but I can see it can be inappropriate as you say.
Since this year's marathon was dedicated to the 26 kids killed in Newtown and the bombs were placed at the 26 mile finish line, it just seemed to suggest what I alluded to. Thanks.

8redeye1(4560 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Cambridge You and I hardly ever agree, But I have to say you are right. So If I offended anyone with my post I apologize too

9jojuggie(1288 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm surprised that you Ytowners haven't blamed Bush for the Boston disaster -YET.

10VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

truth101 - your implications of NRA being an extremist rights group is laughable, as the NRA is actually a civil rights supporter beyond which you cannot even imagine, because you are caught up in political rhetoric of left wing extremists looking to create national socialism.

My sympathies to those who are suffering. My heart shares their pain and agony brought on by these cowardly terrorists.

We can only hope our highly skilled investigators find the cowards soon and our government punishes them severely for their brutal actions. Nothing less can be demanded.