Concealed-carry classes, permits on rise in Valley

Published: Sun, April 14, 2013 @ 12:01 a.m.

By DANNY RESTIVO

drestivo@vindy.com

NILES

Kim is a middle-aged woman who said she is “deathly afraid” of guns.

Ironically, it’s one of the reasons she chose to take a concealed-carry class.

“I want to educate myself so I’m not in fear of them anymore,” said Kim, who did not wish to reveal her last name. “I also want to protect myself.”

Kim lives by herself in a secluded portion of northern Trumbull County. Her home has been broken into a couple of times, and her professional job forces her to travel to crime-ridden neighborhoods in Warren and Youngstown.

“There’s not one specific reason I’m taking the class, but after being accosted by people on the street multiple times, I thought it would be a good idea to get my permit,” she said.

Kim is taking a concealed carry class in Niles offered by Joe Burkey, a National Rifle Association concealed-carry license instructor.

She’s not alone in wanting to take such a class. The number of permit applications is on the rise throughout the Valley.

According to the Ohio attorney general’s website, 471 concealed-carry permits were issued in Mahoning County in 2011 and 114 were renewed. In 2012, the number increased to 570 permits issued and 187 renewed.

The numbers are more pronounced in Trumbull County. According to the Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office, conceal-carry permits issued rose from 1,118 in 2011 to 1,483 in 2012. The number of renewals more than doubled during the same time frame. The number of permits issued and renewed in 2013 is already on pace to surpass 2012. As of April 10, the sheriff’s office had issued 715 permits and 213 renewals.

Burkey’s 12-hour class at the United Veterans of America Post in Niles spans three days with a four-hour session each day. Ohio law requires that anyone seeking a concealed-carry license receive 10 hours of classroom instruction plus an additional two hours of handgun firing on a range.

On Thursday, about 15 people seeking concealed- carry licenses listened to Burkey talk about the difference between a revolver and semi-automatic handgun.

“The biggest difference is that the revolver has a hammer on it,” Burkey told the class while holding a .357 magnum and pointing to the hammer above the gripped portion of the gun. Burkey described the weapons, including the type bullet each used and how each is properly loaded. On the third day of class, students head to a nearby range where they will perform live firing on a 9-inch target from15 feet away.

Burkey said his class teaches the fundamentals of pistol shooting, such as proper aiming techniques, handling of ammunition, firing positions and the details of what a concealed-carry license allows gun owners to do and not to do.

“Ohio is an open carry state,” said Burkey. “I can carry a firearm around or in the open if I want, but if I want to enter a certain establishment, I have to get a concealed-carry permit.”

The Ohio permit is valid in 32 other states, including adjoining states of West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan. Unless gun owners get special permits, an Ohio license is not valid in Pennsylvania, nor is a Pennsylvania license recognized in Ohio.

Burkey said he’s seen a an increase in the number of people taking his class since legislators began to talk about expanding gun laws in December after the Newtown, Conn., shootings.

“My phone was ringing off the hook,” Burke said.

Burkey believes potential legislation for expanded background checks for gun owners isn’t a deal breaker for gun enthusiasts. However, he does feel future gun laws won’t stop there.

“What we’re worried about is the erosion of the Second Amendment,” said Burkey, who believes innocent and law-abiding citizens will be punished under tightly regulated gun laws.

“At some point we’re going to have to say ‘we can’t control all the murderers in the country,’” Burkey said.

He said his current class size is about 15 people. He had a class of 36 earlier this year and another of 42.

The two women who process concealed-carry licenses in Trumbull County say they’ve worked hard in recent months to keep up with demand for such licenses.

They and others say the reasons have to do with proposed curbs on guns since the Sandy Hook tragedy in Connecticut, the Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office’s reputation for handling the licenses efficiently and concerns about safety.

“I did 74 in one day, and I got double pneumonia,” said Michelle Notar, a clerk at the sheriff’s office who handles the licenses.

Her replacement while she was off work, Heather Altiere, said she worked overtime most days trying to keep up.

“I think a lot of them [applicants] were afraid that ... [guns] were going to be taken away,” she said. She thinks some people are also getting their license now to take advantage of Ohio’s not requiring proof of competency to renew a license.

Notar and others say Trumbull County has high CCW numbers because it is a popular place to get a license for residents of Trumbull and adjacent counties.

One reason, Notar said, is she doesn’t require appointments for most aspects of the licensing process.

About half of Burkey’s 300 students in the past three years have been from Mahoning and the other half from Trumbull, he said.

Fred Gerardino, of Youngstown, owns and operates an auto repair shop on the North Side. He said his business is in a bad neighborhood, and he’s had windshields busted and tires slashed in his lot. Gerardino said a police officer even shot someone last year a block from his garage.

“I’m getting my permit because I need to protect my livelihood,” he said. “I need to be ready.”

Gerardino said he’s not worried about pending gun legislation, but his classmate, John Rice, of Hubbard, said the laws are creating more obstacles for law- abiding citizens to protect themselves.

“The people who want to do harm will always be able to get a gun,” said Rice, who moved to Ohio two years ago from Long Island. He admits that where he lives is safer than his old home, but he doesn’t believe laws should restrict Second Amendment rights.

Kim said she hasn’t purchased a firearm yet, and isn’t positive she will once she is certified. Even if Kim does buy a gun, she hasn’t decided if she will carry it on her at all times.

She did say her fear of guns is going away, and she thanks the class for it.

“It’s been a big help to me,” she said. “I think everyone should take the class before purchasing a handgun.”

Comments

1excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

We need to take the guns off the streets and not add more guns to the streets!

2Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Do not think that will happen . So we need those that do have guns to be trained how to use them responsibly.

3Photoman(1018 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I've owned and fired guns since I was 10 years old but I've never shot anyone. I've taken classes and obtained a permit to carry although I usually don't carry but, instead rely on other skills for self defense. How can anyone believe that my owning guns contributes to creating more guns on the street?

4NoBS(2002 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Stories like this kind of fly in the face of the propaganda we're force-fed by the media that claims most Americans don't want guns, or want more restrictions and bans on them.

The anti-gunners need to learn and understand the history of this nation, and understand WHY the 2nd Amendment was included in the Bill of Rights.

52ndamendment(21 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I never put my guns on the street, they might get run over and scratched up if i do, and possible stolen if there just laying on the street. excel I agree with you EVERYONE needs to keep there guns off the street so this wont happen to them also.

6redvert(2099 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't pay any attention to these dummies Excel. Go down to thug town and offer a $10.00 Walmart card for every gun the slimebags will turn over to you. My guess is that you will end up with no guns and will get relieved of the Walmart cards and anything else you have of value.

Of course your thinking is what obowser is counting on!!!

7VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Taking guns away from all the knuckleheads in our world who use guns to commit crimes is not going to happen because of their criminal intent.

These "knuckleheads" abuse our laws and our rights, but lets not penalize Joe and Jane citizen by restricting rights granted by our Constitution.

We need to provide severe penalties for crimes committed with a weapon and "Forget about it" when it comes to plea bargaining when a weapon is involved.

Capital punishment should also be broadened. If you use a gun to kill, expect to see the death penalty and not 10 or 20 years in prison.

Sorry, but there is no room today for "feeling sorry" for a murderer. Many of you may not agree with me, but most of you have never faced the barrel end of a gun like I have.

Public hangings would be nice, death would be better. This is the best way to clean up our streets. If you don't agree, then you have no reason to complain about the violence, because you are enabling it.

8Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Just walk up to them and tell them the gun they are carrying is illegal I am sure they will run to the police station to turn it in.

9islandgrump(59 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Guns and ammo will never be gone. The BLACK MARKET will prevail.
My problem with the carry class is that it does not make you continue to train. Or RE-Qualify. Police officers re-qualify every 6 months or yearly. They are only permitted to carry the weapon they qualify with. If a person cannot dedicate themselves to that routine. They should NOT carry. They will end up hurt or worse. The state should mandate the same training as law enforcement.

10VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Police have to re-qualify because they are hired to defend us all, but most do not fire as often as many citizens do, who will spend hundreds of dollars on ammo and shooting equipment..

11HappyBob(285 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't the folks who object to background checks understand that the checks used for concealed carry are significantly more time consuming, and invasive than simple firearms purchase checks.

On balance I would prefer that anyone who wants "to keep and bear arms" should go through the concealed carry background check.

12excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

So I should be impressed when a bullet that hits me comes from a concealed carry? These people are no diffent from anyone else other than the scrap of paper that supposedly gives them the right to pull the trigger in public. What happens when they get drunk or someone steals their girlfriend and the bullets fly? Anyone around their temper tantrum can get hit. How many have wished that they never had a gun when they are in prison for killing someone? LET'S GET ALL OF THE GUNS OFF THE STREETS!

13NoBS(2002 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Flick, the ones who need the IQ test are the ones who ignore history and who would give up their freedoms. You refuse to see that a cop standing in your front yard cannot keep you from harm by a bad guy who enters your back door. Nothing against cops - but if they're not on the scene at the beginning of the crime, they're too late to prevent the crime. You refuse to believe that a criminal won't turn in all his guns and weapons just because you want him to. You refuse to acknowledge that gun bans won't work, despite clear evidence from around the world that they don't.

excel, all your arguments have been proven wrong. But people like you won't listen to facts, so I won't waste my time on you.

14kk80586(227 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

with the millions of c.c. licenses out there I guess we should hear a story everyday about one getting drunk and shooting at his girlfriend and hitting you. How many times have you been hit this week?
Number one, you don't drink and carry. I think that's even against the law.
Number two, you don't shoot unless you are in fear of your life. I believe to do otherwise is against the law.
Number three, I drove all over today and did not see any guns on the streets. I did see people. Maybe you meant, GET ALL OF THE PEOPLE OFF THE STREETS! Unless a person carries it, a gun cannot get out on the street (other than maybe in a tornado or something). Tell you what, you go to all the bad guy houses and ask for their guns...then go to the gubmint and ask for all their guns...only THEN may you come ask for mine.
Read the 2nd Amendment. If you don't understand it, ask for help. If you don't like it, there is a whole word of countries out there that will be glad to keep you unarmed.

15Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Excel you need to walk around Chicago and D.C. and pretend like you are counting money and see how very strict gun laws work in those cities. flick you are just an idiot so I'm not even going to respond.

16Millerh113(135 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

If Burkey believes the big difference between a revolver and an automatic is the exposed hammar on the former he shouldn't be giving gun safety lessons. I predict we will be reading about Kim soon. Instead of carrying a concealed weapon, maybe Kim should wear a Kevlar vest. Fidelio

17redeye1(4687 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Flick , You are the type that needs a mental test along with a reality test. You seem to be living in a bubble. If you think gun laws will control crime. You are truly NUTS! I rather be a conservative nutjob, then a liberal with NO nuts and NO job !!!!!!

18excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

So if someone with a concealed carry having a temper tantrum guns me down while I am unarmed that makes it ok? Let's see how George Zimmerman fares in Florida when he goes to trial.

19excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Why do you feel the need to gun anyone down? Threats are best handled by law enforcement. Vigilantism only brings retribution and the cycle of killing continues.

20Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm with you Mrs I will use whatever force I need to protect me and mine. I have a scanner and they always send two cars to a breakin call. With most areas assigned 1 car the other has to come from a different part of town. Figure five minutes or so to make it there. Excel you preach to them about gun laws I will be protecting my family. and as another poster mentioned there are 323,000+ CCW holders in ohio its amazing there are any humans left with all these CCW running around shooting everyone.

21excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

A gun will never solve anyones mental problems. There is help for that and it isn't a gun dealer.

22HappyBob(285 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Why do all these discussions disintegrate into "they are comming to take your guns"? Really, with 100 million guns in circulation now, there is zero chance that there could be general gun confiscation.

Mrs Rupp, and others that have gone thru the concealed carry process are a credit to the ranks of gun owners. They know what a through background check is. They are being responsible owners.

For those that object to firearm background checks, what are you afraid of ?

23Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

A background check is a nation registry of gun owners and probably of the guns they own. If I have a check to buy pistol a with serial number 12345 I have now registered my gun with the government. Now when they do want to start taking guns they know exactly where to start. Now lets tie in mental health. I am a mental health professional and I despise guns. I am sure I could probably come up with a reason you should not own one. They just redid the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)and a child that throws a temper tantrum has 'disruptive mood dysregulation disorder'(DMDD) and would probably be in the system and never be allowed to own a gun.

24HappyBob(285 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

To Ytownnative
Do you have a CHL?
Have you ever purchased from a FFL?
You would know that your serial number is not transmitted to the FBI when you have a firearm background check.

Current and proposed law requires the person be adjudicated as dangerously mentally ill. You would have a significant problem convincing a judge that a child throwing a temper tantrum should be adjudicated as dangerously mentally ill.
On the other hand, if the child uses gun or a knife during his tantrum, perhaps he should not be allowed to own a gun.
Additionally there is also a process called relief from disability, which permits one to purchase guns again

Your comment scores a zero.

25Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Do absence of background check enable bad behavior?

You decide

26Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I do have a CCW if that is what you mean and if you look at section D on ATF Form 4473 you MUST enter all information serial number etc... You also must keep this on file as a dealer for 20 years and the ATF has access to these records. If the event the dealer goes out of business the ATF has the actual records. CURRENT law is going to change real soon. And have you noticed all these people saying we don't need guns either have armed guards or carry a gun themselves? Have you EVER seen someone regain the right to own a weapon? Not heard of, and not uncle joes neighbors cousin.

27HappyBob(285 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

#1 Thank you for having a CCW. (and I'm not being sarcastic!)

#2 The registry (4473 Part D) exists in approximately 50,000 filing cabinets and cardboard cartons spread all across the country. I'm sure that you didn't mean YOU must enter the serial #, you mean to say the dealer is supposed to enter the serial number.

Not much of a registry. I would allow that if the ATF gathered all those millions of 4473 in one place and began putting it all in a database, then you can say that there is a national registry. Then you file for an emergency injunction under the federal law that prohibits the creation of a national registry.

#3 I'm not at all certain that the law requiring adjudication of mental disability is going to change, for just the example that you cited.

----------
That Terrorists are taking advantage of our lax (in some states) firearm laws is very troubling. See that link above from Normac. Is it true that people on the terrorist watchlist (& no-fly) are not prohibited to purchase?
------------
Have a nice day!

28AnotherAverageCitizen(1175 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't be so paranoid. Some gun owners sound like little babies. OH NO THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE MY TOYS( weapons)..

They are NOT going to take your guns.

Weapons should be registered, so when they are used in a crime the police know who owns the weapons. If your guns is used in a crime, then you are part of the crime. If you are a responsible gun owner, you should want your gun registered to keep yourself out of trouble.

29KSUgrad(144 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Followup to AnotherAverageCitizen,

If you are the last owner of a crime gun, the law enforcement will be looking at you!

If you have transfered a gun that subsequently gets used in a crime, the law will be looking at you to show that you were not a straw-purchaser!

Best way to sell a gun is to use a FFL as transfer agent, now that "new" owner undergoes the background check and you have proof positive that the gun is no longer asociated with you. Ask any FFL, the best way is to transfer through official channels.

The cost to transfer peer-to-peer ranges from 10 to 25 dollars, and now the seller has peace of mind that they are no longer associated with that firearm.

I can't understand why a person selling a gun does not want some assurance that the person they are selling to is not a prohibited person (unless of course they want to sell to a prohibited person).

Avoiding a background check by using peer to peer sales also gives the appearance that the seller is trying to make law enforcement's job harder.

30cambridge(3096 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

how convenient this guy had his gun handy.

31Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Sounds like they need to make illegal bombs illegaler . I think anyone buying any ingredient that could be used to make bombs should go through a background check. They can do a lot more damage then a gun. You people cant be FOR bombs can you? Just a simple inconvenience but it would be worth it to make sure no one makes a bomb. If you not using it for that what difference does it make to you??

32excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Now more that ever we need a national policy to take away the guns that make those with little minds able to kill many. We have no need for guns on the streets in the hands of civillians. Law enforcement and the military are the only ones that need to be armed.

33Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow excel you really are an idiot

34Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Mrs you must be getting a good retirement check/s

35Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@Mrs Rupp,
Of course Adam is incorrect that fully automatic weapons are easily available.

This is what is readily and legally available without b/c:

In terms of cyclic rate, don't these approach full auto?

In many places, non-dealers can purchase tables at gunshows. Non-dealers can sell at flea markets, non-dealers can sell using gun club web sites like OFCC, non-dealers can sell face-to face, non-dealers can sell by email contact, there are lots of venues that non-dealers can use to sell. Common to all of them is "NO BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED"

The point is that open loopholes enable criminals and terrorists. Do you really want to enable these people?

36Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

too bad we loose Tricare prime

37HappyBob(285 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Responding to Ytown;

#1 Thank you for having a CCW. (and I'm not being sarcastic!)

#4 ATF has granted relief from disability (aka regain right to purchase) over 11,000 times. That neither you nor I know of any personally doesn't mean that it hasn't happened. I just realized you wanted some names: try Jon Young, Jerome Brower, Sherman Dale Williams, Thomas Bean
----------
------------
Have a nice day!

38Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Mrs you cant bother these people with facts.

39Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

To Mrs Rupp,
Cyclic rate makes all the difference in the world if your intent is to spray as many slugs in a little time as possible. Surely you learned that in your military career.

People like Holmes couldn't care less about burning barrels, or accuracy. I'm not advocating banning these, I would like to make it harder for nut cases to get their looney little mitts on them.

Niles may well run a "clean" shop, unfortunately the "bad" shows (and there are enough of them) ruin the reputation for all shows.

40Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

There are two cyclic rates of fire used in the military for the most part.
Maximum and sustained.
Sustained rate of fire is how many rounds you can fire without it over heating.
Maximum is how many rounds you can fire regardless of overheating. Most civilian firearms are not built for very high sustained rates of fire.

41RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

To those of you making light of yesterday's attack in Boston; you are ignorant and should be ashamed of yourselves.

42Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@MrsRupp,
Evil people will try to commit evil, I just don't favor making it easy for those evil people to obtain the tools to commit that evil.

If you and your husband are "law abiding citizens" you should have no fear of background check.

Disarmament? Do you honestly believe that is even possible? Can you give details?

43Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@RTS,
Mrs Rupp is the only one who has mentioned Boston.

44Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@Mrs Rupp,
a) I'm pleased that you have had dozens of firearms background checks.
b) These recent mass murders are what got the nation's attention, the lawmakers should be concerned about the 3000+ that have died by the gun since Sandy Hook. Try to tell me that tightening the background check system would not have had any affect on those.

Would the Virginia Tech shooter been slowed down if his mental health records had been available? Would the Tucson shooter been able to legally purchase, if his records had been in the system?

c) I asked you how disarmament is possible in the US. What would have to happen, what would the process be?
Can you answer that question?

45RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Normac, Look at post 45

46Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@RTS1416,
yup, you you were correct, only Mrs Rupp and Ytown are trying to redirect the discussion by bringing up Boston.
Shame.

47Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@Mrs Rupp,
a) Seung Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech senior behind the worst school shooting in the nation’s history, was able to purchase a pair of semi-automatic pistols that he used to kill 32 people on campus in April 2007 because he passed a federal background check. That’s because the state of Virginia didn’t submit a crucial piece of information: that a court had earlier ordered Cho to seek treatment for mental illness.
Virginia quickly passed a law requiring that type of data to be sent. The federal government can’t mandate that states submit records to the background check database,

b) Why do you think someone is "going after law abiding citizens". You said that you have had dozens of firearm background checks, What harm did you endure by being a "law abiding citizen"?

c) What is a legal weapon? Or did you mean how many weapons were illegally possessed or used in an illegal manner?

48AnotherAverageCitizen(1175 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

MrsRupp. writes. " Of those 3000+ since Sandy Hook how many were done with legal weapons???? My guess is less then 1%"

At what point does a legal weapon become an illegal weapon?

If all weapons were originally purchased legally, then legal buyers must be illegally selling weapons? Thats why regestration and keeping track of serial numbers is important.

49RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The local elderly woman you mention pulled the trigger twice, first was a misfire and the second shot missed.

50Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Exploit Sandy hook for gun control and its ok but mention that the bomb in boston can do more damage and that's a bad thing. Again how many criminals are going to turn in their illegal guns because they are banned? They are already illegal. You need to quit looking at the 2nd amendment and look at the 4th amendment and all these technicalities that these criminals get off on.

51RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

No one is talking about "banning" any guns except you.

52Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Read the post idiot. A criminal with an illegal gun is already banned from having a gun so they want to reban the same illegal gun and use the lives of all the children lost at sandy hook as poster children for gun control. It was a horrendous act committed by a mentally ill person and you people parade it around like this is what happens if we don't make possession of a firearm by someone who is mentally unstable a crime. IT IS A CRIME fool. Just the same as breaking into somewhere and stealing a gun is a crime. just like possessing a handgun under the age of 21 in the state of ohio is a crime. Just like lying on a ATF form 4473 is a crime, just like making a straw purchase is a crime. prosecute these crimes to the fullest extent of the law and the gun problem would solve itself. You can walk up to someone here in the valley and kill them and be out of prison sooner then you can pay off a new car.

53Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@Ytown,
tell us that post is talking about banning guns?

54Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@MrsRupp,
I gave the 2007 example because it's a stark example of what happens when a state fails to submit records. The VA legislature learned a lesson that could have been avoided.

Yes there have been 3000+ that have lost their life at the end of a gun since Sandy Hook. Is that OK with you?

55Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

A 6-year-old child is in critical condition after shooting himself in the chest in a church parking lot in Dallas, Tex., Saturday night. The little boy, whose identity has not been made public, got into a vehicle outside Ridge Pointe Fellowship Church, where found a loaded handgun and pulled the trigger. The gun’s owner, 24-year-old William Ross, was arrested and charged with injury to a child.

56Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

I, like mrsrupp, sent over 20 years in the military traveling all over this globe on a moments notice with and without my family and the freedoms that I defended both here and abroad you idiots want to take away with the stroke of a pen. I am ashamed to come from an area such as this and most of the times I wont even admit to being a veteran. I wish most of you people could spend some time away from here in places like camp hovey, korea for a year or even parts of Europe where you walk off a plane and are greeted by the Polizei with UZI's and German sheperds. I knew when I retired it was a mistake to come back to this area with such narrow minded brainwashed people living here but my wife insisted because we were born and raised here. Except for a few people living here this whole area could burn in hell and I could care less. You will exploit ANYTHING you can including the death of children to prove a point. The people in this valley disgust me and make me ashamed that I served so long in so many remote places for idiots like the ones that live around here.

57Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

4/14/13: A mother of three was shot and killed inside her Aliquippa, Pa., home by the father of her children Sunday afternoon. Police found the back door had been kicked in and Anesha Martin, 25, had gunshot wounds to her neck and head. 27-year-old Jasmen Walker surrendered and admitted to shooting Martin, explaining that he went to her house to talk about a fight but “could not take it anymore.”

58Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The mother of a man accused of going on a shooting spree in a North Fayette tavern was charged with firearms violations on Wednesday for giving him the guns after he convinced her that he was trying to sell them.
Gloria Mazzocco, 60, of Imperial, was arrested, Allegheny County Police Lt. Andrew Schurman said, when “we determined (that she) provided him with firearms” used in the shooting at the Fort Pitt Inn on Steubenville Pike, leaving one man dead and two others wounded.
Her son, David Mazzocco, 25, of Imperial, who is not permitted to have guns because of his history of mental health problems, is charged with homicide and related crimes for the slaying of James Adams, 29, of Imperial.

59Sanjay1976(37 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Yo Ytownnative,
You want a parade?

Maybe you'd like the gun laws better in Colorado, Conneticut, New York, New Jersey or California?

60KSUgrad(144 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

To Mrs. Rupp,
I sense a break thru here. I don’t know about what Norman thinks but I don't believe that guns are bad. I own (although not dozens), and don't think of them as evil or bad.

What I do think is wrong is evil, dangerous, irresponsible people with guns. I can't understand why you are so opposed to making any effort to clean up the gun owner community. A significant percent are good people, responsible people, who are everyday law observing people. There are some, however that have guns today, or will acquire guns tomorrow who are not.

As a gun owner, I don't want those "bad" people to spoil the reputation of the legal and responsible owners.

Keep them out of the community of legal and responsible gun owners!

Why can't you see that that is a worthwhile goal for the gun owners community?

61walter_sobchak(1977 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

KSU,
I have to agree with your logical argument. If we say "guns don't kill people, people kill people", then we must evaluate the people, not the guns. Therefore, it makes sense to regulate the people that want the weapons. As a gun owner, I believe background checks for purchases makes sense. A registry of the guns that I own or want to own, however, should be a concern of law-abiding citizens. But, the 2nd amendment does not grant but guarantees my God-given right to possess a firearm. In fact, none of the amendments in th Bill of Rights grant us a right; they put limits the govt by saying that it shall not infringe on my rights that I already have!

62Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Michael Leach, 59, a former Rochester, N.Y., police officer, was staying with his son at the Clarks Beach Motel in Herkimer, N.Y., The Little Falls Times reported last Sunday. He had been sleeping for a few hours when a noise startled him awake. He saw a dark figure in the doorway and discharged a weapon he kept nearby. At first he didn’t know where the bullet went, but he soon discovered he had killed his son, Matthew.

63Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

A 3-year-old child in Sumter, S.C., is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. The shooting at the Magnolia Manor Apartments was reported around 10 a.m. last Tuesday. Neighbors told police that the child shot the gun after finding it in the apartment.

64excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Today more than ever we need to take the guns off the streets and not add more guns to the streets!

65KSUgrad(144 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

To Mrs Rupp,
Ok, we seem to agree that we'd like to keep our guns out of the hands of evil, dangerous, irresponsible people.

How do you go about that?

I don't know what your experience has been in getting a 4473 check but my experience wasn't hard at all. It was quick, convienient, and didn't cause me any problems at all. Can you explain why it was hard for you?

As far as the questions and my signature (one of my experiences was this: the clerk told me don't worry about the questions or the signature, because it's only purpose is to screen applicants for the benefit of the dealer. "if you put an x in the wrong box, we stop the deal right here and don't even call for the check").

Well, in my case it made no difference because I didn't have to lie.

Although he probably was wrong to advise me that way, what he said made a certain amount of perverse sense. Whether I lie or not the abiliy to walk out with my purchase was completely dependant on the response from NICS.

So the way I look at it is that the Brady check is a good thing.

Can you suggest an alternative that would make it hard for the "bad" guys to ruin it for the rest of us?

66Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@MrsRupp,
You wrote:” Prosecute parents for improper storage", Does that somehow bring the child back to life?.
Unfortunately there are a lot of gun owners who are not are careful as you.

Castration comment: Are you repeating yourself? It didn't make sense the first time

67Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Mrs why do you argue with these trolls? They are so narrow minding they aren't even worth the imaginary ink that shows up on the computer screen.

68Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

@MrsRupp,
A background check is punishment?
Really?
Is there something that can be done to limit guns to responsible people?

On the castration comment, you've assumed wrongly that I am a man.

69Woody2(26 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Interested in your post at 96.
I thought that you only had to provide last three addresses for CCW. Is that wrong?
I've got a similar issue that you mentioned. What can I do to prevent my adult child from purchasing a gun. He is such a hot-head it scares me. He would be a poster child for road-rage and hangs with a group that would be best described as skinheads.
What can I do, before he kills?

70Woody2(26 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks Mrs Rupp,
Our child is not incompetent, but in our opinion he is irresponsible and unpredicatble. So far he's avoided being arrested for anything serious, claims that he is drug free, but drinks to excess and becomes really nasty and violent. I'm not afraid for him, but I'm also scared for my wife and myself. That's the reason I asked about the CCW. I'm thinking seriously about buying guns for myself and my wife to protect us from him.

If it weren't for him, otherwise I feel safe in my home and we don't go to places that we fear, so didn't feel like we might need a concealed gun. But then again we can never tell where he will show up, so maybe we do need a concealed so we can have it with us all the time.

We asked the police about a restraining order but they said we need more evidence, like witnesses that are willing to testify. We have witnesses, but they are all afraid of him as well.

If he doesn't have a gun, or can borrow one, is there anything we can do to slow him down or prevent him. I just realised that I sound like Nancy Lanza. OMG!!

71Woody2(26 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks,
Yes we are afraid, but I'm just as concerned for our son.

We are afraid for his girl friend and their baby girl. Our neighbors have actually asked us to let them know when his is around so they can get away.

I guess that we can try to protect ourselves, but what can we do to help protect others who don't know him.

As an example, I was once with him on 680 and another car passed him. His reaction was to get angry, sped up and forced the other car off the road. He was laughing about this, saying that he taught the MF a lesson. I was terrified, as was his baby girl in the back seat.

What can I do to stop him before he kills someone?

72excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Guns can victimize everyone who comes in contact with them. There is no need for the general public to have any. A safer America depends on their elimination from the general public.

73Bigben(1996 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

excel@ Ah I see your still popular and still on the wrong side. Now if I were to behave as you did on the fracking article posting your anti 2nd amendment puke I would talk fracking here. I won't do that though because I am a gentleman. I see your still in denial hope you can swim. lol

We should all go out and plink some tin cans this weekend knowing how mad excel would be if he were there. lol. Don't get your blood pressure up too high everyone will be safe but the cans.lol

74excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Bigben@ You are living proof why guns should be banned. In your case sharp objects should not be in your possession. So having a gun makes you superior? Small minds have taken many lives recently in a quest to prove their superiority. So you would like to shoot me full of bullets?

75Bigben(1996 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

excel@"So having a gun makes you superior?" - - -What in the world ? Are you feeling OK?

"So you would like to shoot me full of bullets?" - -Ah no reread.

Me :We should all go out and plink some tin cans this weekend knowing how mad excel would be if he were there. " - -I'll break it down for you. I figure you wouldn't like that good folks were having fun shooting TIN cans. As in you would not approve. Somehow you have even twisted this? Really? You have a persecution complex.

76oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

excel, you live in dreamland.
You should definitely consider some professional help

77oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

most unknown fact in this area

78excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Those who need a gun to feel good about themselves are definitely lacking in the mental department and hve no need for a gun in the first place.

79oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Well that is your opinion, and when it comes time that your in need of help, I hope that never happens, but your tune will change. It's not that I need a gun to feel good about myself, it's the fact I have the balls to stand up for those of you who don't

80oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh and I have had many types of weapons in my possession for many years both home and abroad and have yet to witness any of them kill anything except the animal it was aimed at!
Your senseless stereotyping is delusion mister.
These weapons protect your freedom!

81Woody2(26 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Can anyone help us?

I'm not just afraid for him, but I'm also scared for my wife and myself. That's the reason I asked about the CCW. I'm thinking seriously about buying guns for myself and my wife to protect us from him.

I just realised that I sound like Nancy Lanza. OMG!!

Yes we are afraid, but I'm just as concerned for our son. We don't want to see him end up in prison, and we certainly don't want to see him shoot or kill anyone else.

What can I do to stop him before he kills someone with a gun.

82excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Guns in the hands of the public on the streets just contribute to the carnage. Only government can provide real safety by maintaining a military and police forces. The general public has no need to have guns in their possession. The recent school and theater killings could have been avoided if guns weren't available to the perpetrators.

83Bigben(1996 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

excel - --"Only government can provide real safety by maintaining a military and police forces. " - - -Sounds like Germany in the 1930s and 1940s . Were the Jews allowed to own firearms back in those days ?

84oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

excel....Insanity...

Woody For the love of your family get that kid into therapy

85UsuallyBlunt(105 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Woody, seems like you understand how serious this could get! And, a restraining order is only good if the targeted person respects it! Protect your family AND the community from him if he is as bad as you say!

86Woody2(26 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

The police say they can't prove he's comitted a crime yet, and he is an sdult.

His girlfriend took off yesterday and left the baby with us. She thinks he got a gun this week on the southside somewhere, but she is not staying around because she so scared of him.

We are thinking of leaving town ourselves at lest for the weekend, We pray that he won't take his anger out on some stranger

87Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Woody if you believe he is a danger to himself or others call the cops and tell them exactly that. Secondly if you or your spouse were to get a firearm could you actually use it to defend yourself against him? If not go to buckeye firearms and look at the taser they have there. Non lethal and if fires the barbs so you don't have to get close. Around $400 but much better then having a gun around that he could get hold of.

88jojuggie(1469 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Ytown, now, is a safer place to live.

89DwightK(1300 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

There's nothing wrong with owning guns. There's nothing wrong with being trained to carry one. I question where we have failed as society that so many people fear their fellow man and feel the need to carry a weapon but that's for each individual to decide.

I have an enormous problem with those people who think expanding background checks somehow keeps them from exercising their 2nd amendment rights. If you can pass the test, you can have a gun. If not, society has determined that you have forfeited your rights.

Background checks work. Almost 2 million gun sales have been stopped since the checks began. Why would anyone, no matter what their views are, be against expanding background checks to all sales?

90Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Well lets expand the background checks to everything that can be used to cause harm to another person. It wouldn't effect your right to own an item just make you pay more money for it when you include the background check. If you buy anything that can cause harm to another person but your not going to use it for that what does it matter? Any same person could see that having a nanny state monitor our every move and every purchase would be better for everyone. Want a 6 pack of beer? gotta get a background check drunk drivers kill a lot of people everyday. Want a swimming pool ? one of the leading causes of death in children is drowning. I would suggest a 4-6 week course in pool safety and complete background and mental health checks for anyone wanting a pool. YOU DO WANT TO PROTECT CHILDREN DONT YOU? So this minor inconvenience is the best for the children. SO just pay the extra fees .

91KSUgrad(144 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Ytownnative,

Violence committed with firearms is a serious issue; how to deal with that violence should be discussed seriously.

Your nonsense contributes nothing to that discussion.

92Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

violence that causes the unnecessary death of people. Tell the people in Boston a pressure cooker cannot cause any violence. Everyone wants to blame an inanimate object for the actions of the person. With no personal responsibility anymore we need the government in every aspect of our lives. here are the leading causes of death in the US. Sounds like we need to regulate a lot more to stop these deaths.

•Heart disease: 597,689
•Cancer: 574,743
•Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
•Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
•Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
•Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
•Diabetes: 69,071
•Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
•Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
•Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364

93Bigben(1996 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Tell it Ytownnative.

94KSUgrad(144 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Ytownnative,

Your nonsense contributes nothing to that discussion

Your list is not even remotely related to concealed carry classes.

95Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

So are a lot of other things in this country. You cant have a serious discussion with most of these narrow minded idiots. BAN GUNS BAN GUNS thats all they say. Gun are evil. NO a gun is made from the same materials your car and many other things are made of. These idiots want to assign a persona to an inanimate object and blame that for the actions they decided to commit. I've had guns for 30 years and it never jumped up and shot someone. for the most part they are safe queens. ban idiots and the country would be a much better place. Being from Kent state I would expect no less of an idiotic response from anyone that attended KSU.

96VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Violence committed with firearms IS a serious issue and one of the best ways to combat this violence is by enforcing our current laws, which our government is avoiding to do.

What current laws? Let's start with 10 years in prison for possession of a firearm by a felon. Or, 10 years for an illegal transfer of a firearm. Or, 10 to 20 years for using a firearm while committing a crime. I could go on and on about all the laws that our government refuses to enforce...laws broken in crimes that our government claims are too small and numerous to go after. But, it is the accumulated effect of all these "little" crimes that affect society so much.

Chicago is one example. They have some of the toughest anti-gun laws in the nation, but their gun crimes are some of the worst, and yet they still do little in prosecuting these criminals to the full extent of the law. Thus, professional criminals are back out on the street in short order and right back to committing crimes against society.

This is sending the wrong message to criminals and is telling society they are not concerned about getting criminals off the street, they are only concerned with passing more laws and raising taxes to pay for them. The fallacy is, we the taxpayer never realize the promise as our tax dollar is consumed by the system...and then we are told they need more laws and more money.

97RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Ynative, Where is your degree from?

98Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

I met a woman once who was from Kent State. I was in uniform and she started screaming at me calling me a baby killer because of Vietnam and a murderer because of Kent state. I politely informed this psycho that I was under the age of 10 when Kent happened that just set this deranged person off even more. She was from Kent and anyone in uniform was the enemy I guess. Ever since then I could care about anyone from that area and view anyone from that area the same as I would view a pedophile. And I'm guessing you are school smart and street and real world stupid.

99RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Nope, been working all my adult life, some secondary vocational training in my profession. Just wondered where you come off telling someone who makes a rational statement about you being way off topic an idiot, then criticizing them for their scholastic background. Since you failed to provide where your educational background is from I guess we can assume you have none, although your posts have already made that evident. And now anyone from Kent is viewed by you the same as a pedophile? Your posts seem to suggest that you are a angry, uneducated, insecure person that regrets their choices in life.

100Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

anti gunner pro lifer?

101Billyc1943(21 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

@RTS1416,
Ytown claims to be a mental health professional. While he may hold that position, his posts are suggestive of a person unable to process information and lacking in social and emotional maturity.

Characterizing all who attended a particular school based on a single encounter is typical of some one with significant processing deficits.

What is really worrisome is that he is a concealed weapons carrier.

Obviously there is no background check in the CCW process for emotional maturity.

102KSUgrad(144 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

On presecution of gun crimes. In todays Vindy...

Can you offer some specific examples of gun crimes that are not being prosecuted?

I'm going to ignore the insults and just chalk it up to child-like behavior.

103Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

idiots of a feather flock together

104SansArmes(17 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Of course Ytownnative is referring to the flock at NRA and GOA

105Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow three of them in four posts.
par for the course around here

1066675409(37 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Guns are the problem and not the solution.

When our civillian deaths by gunfire far exceed our deaths in all combat zones by our military then we have a problem.

In the United States, annual deaths resulting from firearms total

2002: 30,242
2001: 29,573
2000: 28,663
1999: 28,874

107KSUgrad(144 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Ytown
What are you talking about in your post #113?

108oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

population control

109Normac1945(23 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

@oldskool:
I don't understand your comment, is it somehow related to concealed carry classes?

@ anyone else:
good question from above, are there any specific examples of gun crimes that are not being prosecuted?

110hunky(40 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

No one here, with all your opinions and comments, have addressed the real reason that Sandy Hook happened. Anyone remotely connected to law enforcement knows that if you own a gun, you are responsible for it at all times. The mother of the shooter did not secure her firearms. Those guns were readily available to her mentally ill son. So was the ammo.

111excel(318 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Sandy Hook reason? The real reason is availability. Guns are available to the general public. They need to be removed. Only our police and military have any need to be armed.

112hunky(40 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Lol excel, I can't believe you live in Youngstown. Sounds more like Fantasyland. Perhaps what you were trying to say is that people who own guns should be as trained as law enforcement or the military in order to be responsible. Or maybe Make-a-Wish Foundation can take all the guns out of the hands of the idiots for you so the rest of us won't need them.

113Billyc1943(21 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

@Hunky,
There is no question in my mind that Nancy Lanza was irresponsible. But after the search warrants inventoried a holiday card to her son with a check, money to buy another handgun, signed by Nancy Lanza, it is also clear to me that she was straw purchasing for her son. THe purpose for the check was written in the memo space identifying the handgun that he wanted. Since he was underage, the only way for him to "get" his Christmas present was to have Nancy buy it for him, just as she had done with all the other guns that were in his bedroom.
So it is correct to say that background check of Nancy Lanza would not have prevented the carnage that her son inflicted.

But I don't think that I've ever heard any of the Newtown famlies say " if only there was a background check, my son/daughter would still be alive"

114AnotherAverageCitizen(1175 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Billy,

Thats why background checks, and keeping track of who buys and sells guns need controlled. If Nancy went to 7 guns shows and bout 14 guns and gave them all to her son, we would never know it. However if there were more paperwork from purchasers at gun shows, it would show that she bought all those guns.

Backgound checks notify the authorities of people like Nancy from buying guns and giving them to anybody underage.

115Billyc1943(21 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

By the way, Do you know why there is no problem with the "gun show loophole" in New Jersey?
It's because gun shows are forbidden in New Jersey!

116Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Waaaaaaa It failed live with it. People with common sense voted and it failed. If you don't like the constitution leave the country.

117Billyc1943(21 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Spoken in the same childlike manner that is typical of Y'townnative.
What he doesn't understand is that the bill has not failed, because the bill hasn't been voted on.

The only thing that was voted on were amendments to the bill.

The Constitution is just fine, and the SCOTUS position that legislators can establish laws that regulate firearms is fine.

118Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Should move all the gun haters to mexico they have very strict gun laws there

119Billyc1943(21 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

@Ytownnative,
You are the mental health professional.
Does this guy have anger issues?

120cheybaby2(102 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

I've Own a Gun since I was 19 yrs old starting with a Rifle at almost 60 yrs old I own a Pistol . I've Never Shot anyone. The Most i've done was Practice Shooting. I think all Law Abidding citzens Should Have That Right To Own That Gun, Warren & Younstown is a Dangeous Place Just to drive threw. And Women are Preyed on, as well as the elderly. We have a Right To protect ourselves, The Crime , Drugs and obsessive crazy men in this world ..Why should we be victimized. Its Past Time To Control our Lives Never Letting anyone to take away that control. Im really Thinking about getting a Permit to carry. And Guns off the Streets would be Great But they will always have Guns underground that was stolen from a Break in., alarm systems dont stop them, Dogs they shoot so it never ends. Criminals Will always be Here Packing that gun...

121SansArmes(17 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Rob Portman's vote on gun trafficking was without principle.

He voted against an amendment that would increase the sentence for convicted gun traffickers. The amendment was that simple, no bans on anything, no registration, no background checks, no second amendment issues.

Even the most fervent gun rights advocates wants people who are convicted of selling guns to persons that are known criminals severely punished.

He has no excuse for his vote.