Warren GE plant to close

Published: Fri, April 5, 2013 @ 5:36 p.m.

Warren GE plant to close

The 179 union workers at the General Electric Ohio Lamp Plant will be out of a job next January or thereafter, the president of its union said Friday.

“The ‘no’ vote pretty much did it,” Scott Moore, president of Local 722 of the IUE-CWA, said late Friday.

Moore had a meeting with company officials Friday afternoon at which they said talks were through and the plant is closing.

Moore said he has not scheduled a meeting with the union membership because they already know the news, and “They know what it means. They voted for it.”

The plant will close no sooner than next January by the terms of the contract, Moore said.

The workers voted against a proposal Monday that would have kept the plant open.

For more on this story, see Saturday’s Vindicator or vindy.com

Comments

1busyman(239 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Now the handfull of older workers that get the special retirement package because the plant is closing can support their children and grandchildren because their kids that could of worked there are done. And we can not figure out way large compandies do not want to build new factories here. Manufacturing is coming back to this country and the valley will be look over because even when the unions want to cooperate to keep jobs there are some older wokers that just do not care about the next generation. My hats off to the auto workers for their sacrifice to keep the industry hiring some of the sons and daughters.

2INTEL(62 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

No matter how the union voted.. they were going to close anyway..Its just a good excuse to blame the rank and file workers...
. just look at the GE plant in Youngstown on Market Street... It was closed years ago.. .its all about shipping jobs out and more profits for the stockholders and corporate execs.... plain and simple...

3seriouslyalready(8 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

With this deal the plant was slated to get new product line and had the very real potential to add jobs and be here for years to come. Anyone who tells you differently is only trying to ease their guilt and justify not only their no vote but their tainting the younger people with lies so they would vote no also. The deal would have in no way impacted their pensions as most would have been able to retire within the next 2-5 years. No there were no guarantees given for the simple fact as GE had yet put a plan in motion. What would have lit a fire under them? RATIFYING IT!! At the very least this deal bought the employees another 2 years of work. Yeah a pay cut came a long with that but it was still a decent, livable wage. Good luck making that down at Walmart. Simple fact is the company was excited by this plan. They saw the potential. Unfortunately a handful of greedy old people and a few young sheep ruined it for everyone. The lies they spew(ed) would make your head spin. And how about they have been celebrating in front of everyone, rubbing their faces in the fact that they "won"??? How low is that?

4Silence_Dogood(1340 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

UNIONS ARE A JOKE, A BAD JOKE.

5mnascar(36 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

The union mentality in this valley sucks. No job is always better than to have one that doesn't pay as much with benefits. Union Mentality! You wanted GE to close so they honored your wishes and closed. Can you now say " Do you want fries with that?"

6uselesseater(229 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

What was GE making there? Incandescent bulbs?

Unions to blame for closure? I doubt it. GE has been cutting head count in US manufacturing for decades. This region has seen lots of GE job losses. This is nothing new.

Unions need to wakeup to reality. Citizens on average have had their wages go backwards at least a decade. Chinese and other slave abusing countries has nearly endless nearing no cost work force.

If unions wanted to matter, they'd stop the theatrics and start defending rights of all workers in the US. They'd go after tariffs and the import/export racket companies like GE are heavily abusing.

7Busdriver42(16 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

In my opinion the no vote was done by the tradesman in the plant. They do the least but want the most. It was a known fact it contributed to the bankruptcy at Delphi another member of the IUE

8Busdriver42(16 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

To the union bashers, do you get paid holidays? Do you get paid vacation days? Do you get beneifits even if you have to pay for part of it? If so thank us union people for fighting for this stuff, just ask the people who work for Walmarts and the big call center by Quaker steak and lube who are non union, both these places are sweat shops. If you have the flu you better come to work with a barf bag and depends on or else you will be history.

9RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

I am not a "union basher" but I do not need to thank ANYONE for what I have worked hard for and have deservedly recieved. I also did not have to give someone else part of my earnings so they could strut around like king pins waiting for their underlings to kiss their rings in gratitude.

10Busdriver42(16 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

To RTS1416, when you boss comes up to you and says how long have you been working here but don't count tomorrow, you would of loved to kiss someone's ring when today is your last day no an's, if's, or but's. Seen it done, explain to your family why they let you go for no reason, boy I love my union pension that I worked hard for and deserved too, but just felt a little more secure than you will ever feel.

11RustOnMyBelt(114 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

It wasn't because of the unions.It wasn't because of foreign imports.It was because a multi-billion-dollar company ,General Electric, decided to make a new product overseas instead of investing in a new line right here in America.If ANY company could afford to spend money to keep jobs here,GE could have and in doing so,they would have set an example for other companies to follow.Had things gone the other way, the Ohio Lamp plant would have been in the national spotlight in a positive way..instead, their lawyers played the union like a cheap fiddle and moved on.First RG Steel, then Ohio Lamp, these are sad days for the valley.

12Sparky(184 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Make sure you don't get on angry bus drivers bus if you're non union. I mean, bad grammar aside, I have no idea what he/she was trying to say. Keep kissing that ring I guess!!

13Busdriver42(16 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Like I said if your jobs give you all the perks like paid hilidays and stuff, thank a union man, your company would not give you crap if they didn't have to. A lot of men died to get you all your benefits, and died isn't just sort of speak, they lost their lives fighting for what is right.

14Sparky(184 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

So someone that forged their own success by achieving a college degree and above, getting in with a Fortune 500 company that pays well for my intelligence and experience needs to thank a union man? I thank myself for working hard and achieving my own success. My perks are a result of my own efforts and I need not thank any union man for anything. I have job security because I am good at what I do, not because I have seniority.

15Busdriver42(16 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Sparky you sound book smart world dumb, you probably need a map to cross the street, I met too many of you "Waldo's" in my life time. Delphi use to be a Fortune 500 but got run into the ground by intelligent greedy people. This will be my last post I feel sorry for the GE workers.

16zz3(931 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Isn't it funny the company that takes the most out of the US without paying taxes but can't cough up a few dollars for a good work force. The reason for leaving is the same most of the business are leaving the U.S. (busyman) is regulation/taxes/healtcare requirements by this administration, not a vote by anyone!! I do agree with the NO vote simply because you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere with GE! If it closes so be it, but how many citizens would stop buying GE product including the ex-employess?? Not many I am afraid! It takes everyone sticking together for a common cause. DON"T BUY GE PRODUCTS. If this happened in Europe they would be in the streets. Bug your political figures to death about all the regulations etc...that are driving business out of the US.