Police arrest city man after shooting

By John W. Goodwin Jr.



A 20-year-old man is expected to recover fully after being shot while riding in a car on the city’s South Side, and his purported shooter is in the county jail.

Phillip Hardy, 21, of Youngstown has been charged with felonious assault in the Tuesday shooting.

He appeared Wednesday before Judge Robert Milich of Youngstown Municipal Court for arraignment on the charge.

Kathleen Thompson, an assistant city prosecutor, told the court Hardy has been arrested in the past for failure to comply and resisting arrest. The judge set bond at $50,000 and ordered that Hardy stay on electronically monitored house arrest if released on bond.

According to police, the ShotSpotter program used to indicate gunfire in the city picked up a gunshot in the area of Judson near Market just before police received a call about a man shot in the same area. The shot hit the 20-year-old victim in the back.

The victim was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center where he was treated for a graze wound. Police took Hardy into custody shortly after the incident when he returned to the scene of the shooting.

According to witness statements to police, the shooting may have been the result of an argument between Hardy and his girlfriend.

Witnesses told police the shooting victim and two other men went to a fast- food restaurant on Midlothian Boulevard to pick up a friend when they noticed a woman hiding behind the building of the restaurant. The woman said she was hiding from her boyfriend.

The woman hiding behind the building had been involved in an argument with Hardy, her boyfriend, while riding in a car a short distance from the restaurant and jumped out of the car to hide from the man.

The group gave the woman a ride home where she was supposed to pick up her car, but after the woman went into the house, a man came outside and fired a shot at the car containing the victim, and his three friends then drove off in another car.

The man firing the shot is believed to have been Hardy.

Hardy returned to the house while police where still attempting to sort out the details of what took place. He reportedly told police he was fearful that the people in the car were going to shoot up his house, so he fired a shot at them.

The man told police he threw the gun out of the car window as he drove away after the shooting, but police have been unable to find the weapon.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.