'Boom-Boom' back in spotlight Friday night at DeYor

Published: Sat, September 29, 2012 @ 12:01 a.m.

By JOE SCALZO

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The most powerful moment of Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini’s wonderful documentary “The Good Son” comes in the final minutes, when a 29-year-old South Korean named Jiwan Kim travels to Santa Monica, Calif., to have dinner with the man who killed his father.

Nearly 30 years earlier, Duk Koo Kim, had collapsed into a coma after a 14th-round knockout at the hands of Mancini. Kim died four days later, leaving behind a fiancee, Young Mee, who was two months’ pregnant with Jiwan, who didn’t discover his father was dead until he was 9.

In that moving scene, Jiwan confesses that, when he first watched the fight, he felt some hatred toward Mancini. But, speaking in halting English, he says, “I think it was not your fault.”

“Thank you,” Mancini says. “Thank you for coming to America.”

“I know what I said in the doc [documentary] about Ray needing Jiwan’s blessing, and I think that’s true,” said author Mark Kriegel, who wrote the book that the documentary is based on. “But the more I thought about it, I think that it was Jiwan that needed the meeting and needed to bless Ray.

“In a certain way, it was a punch Ray was courageous enough to take.”

Mancini, the former lightweight champion from Youngstown, joined Kriegel at the DeYor on Friday night to show the documentary to an invite-only crowd of 600. Like the book, the 90-minute documentary is tremendous, taking Mancini’s dramatic story and, as Mancini said, turning it into art.

The movie, which will be officially released Nov. 13 — the 30-year anniversary of the Kim fight, already has been accepted at a handful of film festivals, and the producers plan to submit it to the Sundance Film Festival.

Like ESPN’s 2007 documentary “Triumph and Tragedy,” the movie covers the Kim fight in depth. Unlike that documentary, it tells Mancini’s complete story, focusing heavily on his father, the original “Boom Boom,” his hometown and his upbringing.

In the Q&A session after Friday night’s viewing, Mancini joked that everyone needed to get their questions out, “because this is it. This is the last of it.” But it’s clear from the past few days that Youngstown isn’t done with Mancini. He and Kriegel stayed at Barnes & Noble until 2:30 a.m. Friday signing books. That left Kriegel, who makes his living with words, nearly speechless.

“At one point, I was told that people in the back [of the line] were getting upset so they told me to make an announcement that if we only signed the names it would go so much faster,” said Kriegel. “So I do it and then Ray goes, ‘No, I’m signing the whole way.’ I’m like, ‘What do you make me the bad guy for?’

“I never imagined people tolerating that kind of wait for a book.”

Added Mancini, “As long as people were waiting, I wasn’t going anywhere.”

Tank DiCioccio, who grew up across the street from Mancini on the South Side and who is featured in the book and the documentary, believes Mancini’s popularity stems both from his story and his personality.

“He’s a good dude, man,” DiCioccio said. “He’s always been a good dude. He’s a one-of-a-kind person who’s always treated people the way they wanted to be treated.”

Chuck Fagan — who became Mancini’s de facto older brother after Mancini’s real older brother, Lenny, was killed on Valentine’s Day, 1981 — said it more simply.

“I don’t know what ‘it’ is, but Ray always had it,” Fagan said.

DiCioccio never imagined he would still be talking about Mancini’s career 30 years later, but he said he also never imagined people like Frank Sinatra and Willie Stargell and Sonny Bono would want to meet the kid who grew up at 807 Cambridge Avenue.

“You gotta understand — we were young kids, 20, 21 years old, and we were just in awe of the people who wanted to meet Ray,” DiCioccio. “We just couldn’t believe it.

“Not too many people command that type of love from people. I think people respected the way he went about his business. The way he fought resembled this town. Always going forward, banging, banging, banging. Taking shots, giving shots. You get knocked down, you get up.

“That may sound cliche, but it’s the truth.”

Mancini left Youngstown for New York at age 18 and has spent most of his adult life in Los Angeles, but he admits he’s never left Youngstown, any more than Youngstown left him.

When asked what he thinks of being remembered 30 years later, Mancini smiled and said, “Oh, man, it beats the alternative.”

“I can’t explain it,” he said. “I’m very blessed.”

Comments

1IslandMike(676 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Always great to see Ray back in his hometown. He loves Youngstown and Youngstown loves him. It must have been a FREEING feeling to finally speak about the Kim tradgedy. Y'town has been blessed to turn out some great athletes through the years and it's always great to see that they've all remembered this GREAT city.

I'm always amazed at how many kids have played in various sports on athletic scholarships that are from the public and private schools in this area. That speaks directly to area coaches and volunteers who make that success possible. THANK YOU!!!

2redcent(38 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

"He and Kriegel stayed at Barnes & Noble until 2:30 a.m. Friday signing books."

"That left Kriegel, who makes his living with words, nearly speechless."

That's the clear difference in how we here were (are) raised. A genuine appreciation for hard-working folks - who care a great deal about our own "hometown" sons and daughters.

Best wishes and much success to "Boom-Boom" on the film and book from all of us here.

3aconstituent(193 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I am in agreement with BOTH of you!

4youngstownsteve(73 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Ray Mancini is a great role model for kids and a great ambassodor for the Mahoning Valley. The difference between him and Pavlik is night and day. Too bad the creep Pavlik did not follow the same road. Conratulations Ray, the greatest boxer the valley ever produced!

5Valleyvoter(21 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Is that the best photo you have? You gotta be kidding me. Makes Ray look terrible.

6endthismess(288 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Great book, downloaded on my Kindle...very good read...couldn't put it down. Really glad Ray let the story go and found a writer he could work with. Ray is first class....all the way...never forgot where he came from. I too remember watching that fight when Kim went down....that night there was no real winner which goes to show that a death can happen to anyone at any time in their boxing career, whether it be immediately or many years later resulting from physical and repeated blows to the head, you just never know. And yea Vndy.....a better pix of Ray would have been nice, don't be lazy....do it right!

7steelwagon(284 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Ray Mancini is so well respected for one reason.
He's always been a gentelman and respectful towards others.

Of course he's in my opinion the greatest boxer to ever come out of the Mahoning Valley but being a champion and a great fighter doesn't guarantee the admiration and respect Ray commands.
That's something this fine gentelman has earned both in and out of the ring.

8walter_sobchak(1753 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Ray is truly a class act. He definitely is a product of our neighborhood we grew up in on the south side. Respect for yourself and the adults in the community. I will never forget the day he won the title in Las Vegas from Arturo Frias, running into the ring and sharing in the excitement of a Y-town boy's success. Great times!

9Capybara91(11 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I still think Ray beat Camacho after a long lay-off but I thought the Packers beat Seattle, too. I have to read The Good Son. Ray will always be our hero, a man of incomparable grit, resilience, and grace.

10YSU_Alumna(29 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

The entire Manicini family has always been a class act. Tragedy they never deserved has hit them from many sides. I felt so honored to have been a friend of the family, having met Ellen when I was a cosmetology student at Choffin WAY back when. I used to watch Ray box Golden Gloves and bowled with his mom, dad, sister and grandmother until I moved to Florida when Ellen Mancini took one of my dogs because the weather would have been too hard for her. She loved her as I did, on Caimbridge in the same house where she raised her entire family, which I visited whenever I was "home" from Florida. Raymond and his entire family are truly honorable and sincerely wonderful people and anyone that thinks or says otherwise is totally uneduacated about the Mancini family.

11nononsense(2 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I can't believe this guy gives and gives and is the classiest thing that's happened to our valley and the BEST THE VINDY can do for HIM is take a picture like that? I am ashamed of you!!!! We Love RAY !!! TREAT HIM LIKE HE TREATS US!!!! SHOW SOME RESPECT ....PLEASE