Niles teen hailed as hero for rescuing friend in bike fall

Published: Sun, September 23, 2012 @ 12:08 a.m.

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

AUSTINTOWN

Anyone who takes a look at 8-year-old Dante Walker would hardly know that mere weeks ago the smiling, bubbly boy was in the hospital with his life hanging in the balance.

Dante, of Austintown, likes little league football, playing with his friends and bike riding. It was an accident while enjoying one of the bike rides that almost ended his life. But the quick thinking of a 16-year-old friend prevented that tragedy from happening.

In early August, Dante was staying at the Niles home of Kathleen Agler while his mother, Katherine Ferradino, was working. Dante and Kathleen Agler’s son, 16-year-old Anthony Agler, decided to go for a bike ride in the area of Summit Avenue.

The idea was nothing new. The two boys had gone for a similar ride only a few days earlier.

Dante said the ride started out normally, but he does not remember all of the details.

“I was going for a bike ride, and we were going down a hill really fast. I hit a pothole, flipped over the bike, and something on the bike caught me,” Dante said.

Flipping over the handle bars of the bike he was riding and standing up with a gash in his groin area are the last things Dante remembers about the ride.

“I was thinking it was a small cut, and I could just walk home. I stood up, but then I just passed out,” he said.

Anthony, riding a few feet ahead of Dante at the time of the accident, remembers much more.

“At first he stood up, and I started laughing, thinking he had just fell, but then I saw the blood and kind of freaked out,” he said. “My first thought was that I am going to get in trouble and be grounded or something, but then I thought I don’t want him to die, so I started applying pressure to the wound.”

Anthony always has fostered an interest in the medical field and learned basic first-aid measures doing research online for future career options.

The 16-year-old boy left Dante briefly to seek help at the nearest house, but no one came to the door. He says he then stood near the wounded child and attempted to wave at passing cars, but no one stopped, so he stepped into the street in front of an approaching car.

The driver of the car stopped and called for assistance but then left the two boys alone to wait for an ambulance.

Anthony continued to apply pressure to Dante’s wound, decreasing the amount of bleeding until emergency personnel arrived. He said he read that it is important to remain calm when offering assistance to someone in an emergency.

“What was keeping me calm was what I read that if you are panicking then the person you are trying to help is going to panic, and I didn’t want to do that,” he said.

Kathleen Agler and Katherine Ferradino both said they are amazed no one stopped to wait with and assist the two boys, but Ferradino said she is happy that Anthony had the state of mind to remain calm, seek help and stop Dante’s bleeding.

“That had to be stressful to be in that situation for him. ... I am just grateful he did what he did, giving my son the gift of time to get to the hospital,” said Katherine Ferradino.

When Dante arrived at the hospital, doctors informed his mother that he had torn three blood vessels in his groin. Ferradino said her son could have bled to death if not for the actions of Anthony decreasing the bleeding from the wound while waiting for help.

Kathleen Agler said she is happy and proud of her son for keeping his head together and offering assistance. She said the experience has made her look at emergency workers and the flashing lights of any passing ambulance differently — saying one never knows who is in need of help.

Kathleen Agler and Ferradino both say Anthony’s actions were heroic, but Anthony does not see it that way.

He said the experience has just made him closer friends with Dante and more of an older role model.

Comments

1bmanresident(597 comments)posted 2 years ago

What a freaking shame!! Everyone that saw that young man trying to get help should burn in hell. I don't have to know these kids to know that they were not the same color as those that were driving past. Such a shame!

2redneckwonder(13 comments)posted 2 years ago

"Kathleen Agler and Katherine Ferradino both said they are amazed no one stopped to wait with and assist the two boys." No one stopped or even stayed around so they wouldn't be victims of crime, i.e. robbed or worse. Niles area isn't what it used to be. I lived there for years and seen it change as Warren and Youngstown moved in, that's why I got out as soon as i could.

3ailierdroit(106 comments)posted 2 years ago

bmanresident, shut the hell up, Shut the Hell Up, SHUT THE HELL UP!!! How sick of you to play the race card. Perhaps you should burn in hell, you assumptive, ignorant tool?

Still, the lack of good samaritans other than Anthony reinforces what Redneck said; Niles isn't what it used to be. I grew up two blocks from Summit and left years ago as landlords/renters began to rise.

In the end, I applaud Anthony for doing not only the right thing, but with a sense of calm and bravery. Keep living the good life, Anthony! You're a great kid!

4Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years ago

I wouldn't want anyone to burn in hell but I have to say anyone that wouldn't stop to help isn't much. I could understand a female being afraid. But if they saw the kid down and bleeding they should help.

When my mom was sick and incoherent it was two black women in the parking lot that stopped and handed me their phone as my batteries died and I couldn't get a hold of my wife in the store. I was able to to talk to her and my dad and call an ambulance for her. I won't ever forget that. When I had car trouble once on 224 a black man helped me out. I have had white people help me out also in emergencies. There are good and bad people in all shades and sizes. You reap what you sew.

5jdneil(1 comment)posted 2 years ago

I'm Kathleen Agler's Uncle and I live in Cumberland, MD. I am proud of the actions that Anthony took when he was faced with a real emergency and did the right things at the right time.
From what Marlene, (Kathleen Agler's mother and my sister), told me on the phone today " Dante, would have 'bled out' if Anthony had not continued to apply direct pressure to Dante's wounds until help arrived.
GREAT WORK ANTHONY! God Bless You.
Joe Neil

6JFerradino(1 comment)posted 2 years ago

Dante is my nephew....I want to thank Anthony from the bottom of my heart for saving Dante's life!! He is an AMAZING young man....words will never express what his actions on that day mean to me and the rest of the family! I don't want to be negative at all in this post, so I will refrain from commenting on other comments, or what people should or shouldn't of done that day! Anthony did all the RIGHT things...that is all that really matters!!