emmaNUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH | Marking 100 years
Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 140 Cherry Ave. NW, Warren, is celebrating its 100th anniversary with the theme, “To God Be the Glory.” Emmanuel Lutheran is part of Hope Lutheran Parish, which also includes St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Warren, Messiah Lutheran in Newton Falls and Trinity Lutheran in Niles.
Celebration details: A special service is planned at 10 a.m. Sunday at the church with Bishop Elizabeth Eaton of the Northeastern Ohio Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America preaching. The service will be celebrated by the Revs. Dee Emmert, lead pastor; David Conrad; David Genszler, interim pastor; and former pastors and sons of the parish. A dinner, by reservation, will follow at Sorrento’s Banquet Hall. The event will feature a proclamation by Mayor Doug Franklin, recognition of Bishop Eaton, visiting pastors, descendants of charter members, members who are 90 years old and older and 50-year members. Bagpiper Tom Weller, a church member, will play.
The beginning: Twenty members of St. John’s Church in Townline were dismissed to form a congregation in Warren — Emmanuel Lutheran Church. It was founded by 23 charter members Feb. 6, 1912. The congregation called the Rev. Ralph Long to serve as pastor; he also served the Newton Falls-Townline congregation. On July 11, 1912, the church incorporated under the laws of Ohio. The cornerstone for the first church was laid Aug. 11, 1912, and on April 6, 1913, the church was dedicated.
Growth: The church was growing; a dedication of an addition to the sanctuary and parsonage was conducted Jan. 17, 1924. On Oct. 23, 1947, a fire ruined the sanctuary; it was refurbished and rededicated in March 1948. The congregation realized the need for a larger sanctuary and ground was broken Oct. 29, 1950; the cornerstone was laid May 27, 1951, and it was dedicated Dec. 16, 1951. A fundraising program was started for an educational building and new offices. Groundbreaking took place Jan. 10, 1960, and a dedication service took place the following year.
Mission church: Emmanuel Lutheran aided in the establishment of Living Lord Mission Church in Howland Township with some 60 confirmed members transferring there. Living Lord had its first service Sept. 8, 1963.
Musical dedications: The grand piano was dedicated June 21, 1987, and the Austin Pipe Organ on Sept. 20, 1987. The organ dedication was part of the church’s 75th anniversary.
Improvements: Air conditioning was installed in the sanctuary and Rush Fellowship Hall in July 1977. The congregation approved installation of a stair lift in Memorial Lobby. The sanctuary was refurbished and dedication was March 24, 2002.
Activities: Emmanuel Lutheran, considered an inner-city church, sponsors a monthly free meal, food pantry and clothes closet. The church has Bible study groups for adults and youth, Christian Fellowship Group and Fiber Club.
Source: Church history files