There’s another side to the story about OHSAA athletic eligibility

Published: Thu, September 13, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

There’s another side to the story about OHSAA athletic eligibility

After watching the local news in recent weeks, I believe as a Poland Seminary High School graduate and Poland resident I need to address the proceedings between the Ohio High School Athletic Association and the Bilas family.

The attorney for the Bilas family, Mark Hanni, would have you believe that the Poland Athletic Department and administration had a part in this legal action. I have discovered that neither reported a possible infraction or requested any inquiry into the eligibility of Nick Bilas. The Poland Athletic Department was directed by the OHSAA to complete the necessary paper work for the transfer of an athlete to another high school. After receiving the required paperwork, the OHSAA decided to look into what they believed to be “an improper transfer.”

Atty. Hanni cannot believe that anyone would question the integrity of a uniformed military officer. Neither Major Bilas’ uniform nor the fact that he is in the military have anything to do with this situation. I am sure that Major Bilas has worked very hard to achieve his rank but it is appalling that Atty. Hanni would use the uniform as a cheap prop for his case.

As a taxpayer, I thank the Poland Athletic Department, the administration, and the superintendent for doing their due diligence in this matter, as required by the OHSAA. Perhaps, if the Bilas family with the help of the Mooney administration had done the same, there would have been no reason for the OHSAA to get involved.

I thank Major Bilas and his family for their service to our country and I wish him Godspeed in wherever his next call of duty is.

Wherever Nick Bilas’ athletic career takes him, I hope he stays healthy and safe on the field of play.

I’m sure Mr. Hanni is a fine attorney. However, he should stop finger pointing and plead his case in court, not on television. And as they say in the courtroom, give us the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Larry J. Tusinac, Poland

Comments

1FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

How did I know this had something to do with The University of Mooney.

2gdog4766(1407 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

You had me up until you said "I'm sure Mr. Hanni is a fine attorney"

3HaydenThomas(208 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Mooney and Ursuline up to their usual tricks. Slick circumvention of OHSAA rules which are in place so that the parochial schools can maintain enrollment via athletics.

4ytownisajoke(31 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Kudos to the author of this letter. People need to look at facts- and hopefully the judge in the case will as well.

5natureman(66 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not so sure about this. Integrity seems to be missing from the Poland Athletic Office these days. It is unfortunate for the children who get involved in these struggles.

6ANTIYOUNGSTOWN(234 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Good letter.

Curious, when did athletics become more important than actual schooling?

I have no problem with parochial schools, but I do have a problem when their athletics become more important than the academics. Amazing how the schools were supposedly built on the foundation of a Catholic faith, yet if I go to a game I see many "non-Catholics" playing on the team.

7natureman(66 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

It's not just the Catholic schools. Take a look at the football stadium and gym at Poland High School. Very impressive. Then I would tell you to take a walk through the halls of the high school. Old and depressing and in need of remodeling. People need to make sure that the board of education puts education first if they want to pass school levies.