Kasich denies clemency for convicted Ohio killer

Published: Tue, September 11, 2012 @ 4:20 p.m.

COLUMBUS — Gov. John R. Kasich has denied a request for executive clemency from Donald Palmer, who in 1989 was convicted of the aggravated murders of Steven Vargo and Charles Sponhaltz in Mount Pleasant in Belmont County.

Palmer is scheduled to be executed Sept. 20 at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. On Aug. 16, the Ohio Parole Board recommended against clemency for Palmer by a vote of 8 – 0.

Comments

1JoeFromHubbard(976 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

> > who in 1989 was convicted of the aggravated murders < <

1989?

This is 2012 !

What took them so long and who paid for his upkeep in the mean time?

2Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

On 5/8/89, Donald L. Palmer Jr. and an accomplice murdered and robbed a driver of a pickup truck whom Palmer got into an accident with on County Road 2 near Glen Robbins Road in Belmont County. Palmer shot the driver twice in the head and dumped the body and pickup truck in a nearby field. Palmer additionally murdered and robbed another motorist who stopped at the scene of the accident. Palmer shot the motorist twice in the head and left the body and vehicle at the scene.

So well the families are probably still grieving over there loved ones, this cold blooded murderer is writing to penpals and enjoying life in prison unlike the 2 he brutally murdered. Real fair, huh?

Conviction; Agg Murder (x2) Agg. Robbery (x2)
Sentence: Death
Years on Death Row; 14+
Hobbies; Writing, drawing, painting, reading, working out, introspection, poetry, singing and listening to music.

Goals: Enjoy life, no matter the circumstances, and die a better man.

Get the veins ready.................

3LtMacGowan(633 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

m sure people will start commenting about how this guy should fry. Funny how when I commented on the article about the man who was found not guilty after being on death row for 20 years, everyone was silent as a grave on that article..

Allowing capital punishment pretty much guarantees that you will murder an innocent man every so often. I am not okay with that. I'd rather see this man serve life than take the risk of ever murdering an innocent man. You can let some one out of prison, you can't un-execute a person.

4FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

That blog just turned my stomach. Screw the veins, get the firing squad ready.

5JoeFromHubbard(976 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

You've got a good point, LtMac, it is a very difficult situation.

6Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

ltmac

"I'd rather see this man serve life than take the risk of ever murdering an innocent man."

If it's a care cut case, like the majority are, then get the veins ready.
Who gave Donald Palmer, the right to MURDER in cold blood at that, two INNOCENT people?

7Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I bad....not "care" but "clear"

8LtMacGowan(633 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Even if its only 1 innocent man executed for every 999 guilty men. That is 1 too many. I can't live with that on my conscience so I can't support the state's campaign of murder.

9TSponhaltz(2 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

My name is Tiffany (Sponhaltz) Pugh, I am the youngest child of Charles Sponhaltz, one of Mr. Palmer’s victim’s. I was 5 years old at the time of my father’s murder, I was daddy’s little girl, I was with him every moment that I could possibly be with him. I was the little girl he left sitting at the house the night he went to take the chairs back to the Polish Legion of American Veterans, I was the one who sat there heart broken because I wasn’t allowed to go with him to see our friends and spend time with him. I was also the child that sat on her living room floor several hours later while family and friends hustled and bustled around the house, along with the local sheriff’s departments. I was the little girl left in the dark about what was going on and why my mommy was at the table screaming and crying. Eventually my nana and my mother sat me down, wrapped me in a blanket, and told me that my daddy wasn’t coming home and that he was in heaven. I remember screaming and crying, “Why my daddy? He is such a good daddy! I don’t want him to go to heaven. I want my daddy!” I don’t know how long I sat there and cried, but it seemed like an eternity! Then, the next thing I knew, we left our home to go to my nana and pap pap’s house, because we couldn’t stay at our own home. My father was murdered and the killer had his keys and wallet. They didn’t know who it was, so it wasn’t safe to be at our house. At this point not only did I not have my father but I didn’t even have the comfort of my own home and my own bed. The next few days were very confusing, I saw my mom cry a lot and didn’t know anything, because again I was only 5 years old at the time and they didn’t want to upset me more.

Through my childhood I can remember my Uncle Frank Sponhaltz, and my Aunt Sharon Prati visiting often and suddenly it seemed that they had disappeared from my life as well. I now know that their disappearance was due to a big controversy that happened during the trial between my family members and my grandfather, Walter Sponhaltz. My grandfather couldn’t bear to sit in court and hear how his son had been murdered! He couldn’t sit and listen to the evidence, see the pictures of what happened or anything of the sort, he couldn’t face the fact that his son was dead. So not only did Mr. Palmer take away my father he took away my Aunt and My uncle, the two people that knew the most about him, the ones that could share their stories about my father with me. Mr. Palmer not only took my father away from me with his actions on May 8, 1989 he broke my family apart!

10TSponhaltz(2 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

There have been several times in my life where I mention my last name and people look at me with pity after they ask if it was my father that was murdered. I pick up pieces here and there of other peoples’ stories about my father, I hear from several people he was a good man willing to lend a helping hand to anyone who asked, and would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. I shouldn’t have to learn about my father from stories, I shouldn’t avoid telling people my last name because of the pain that it brings up! I should be able to be proud of who I am and where I came from! If it wasn’t for Mr. Palmer and his actions I would have my father here! I would know how his voice sounded, I would know his interests, I would know him as a person. I would be able to understand where I get certain traits from, that can only be explained by seeing them in my father. If it wasn’t for Mr. Palmer I would REALLY know my father, not just know OF him!

Mr. Palmer’s violent act did not only affect my family and I 23 years ago. It has affected us every single moment from that day on. He wasn’t there to watch me on my first day of school. I never got to look out into the crowd during my softball games to see my father’s supporting eyes watching me and cheering me on. He wasn’t there for my high school graduation. My daddy wasn’t there to give me away at my wedding. And it also affects me currently. Each time I look into the eyes of my three beautiful children, and know they will never get to meet the man I so deeply loved, it breaks my heart all over again. They will never get to experience a doting grandpa and eventually, when they are older, I will have to explain the circumstances of his death to them. I will never get to look on as my husband and father talk over a warm cup of coffee or work in the garage as my daddy loved to do. My husband and children will never know him, my father, my daddy.

My father deserves justice. Justice for the family that Mr. Palmer tore apart, Justice for the memories that I never got to make with him, Justice for my children, Justice for my grandfather having to repeatedly hear the details of his son’s untimely death and have to deal with the unimaginable pain of losing a child, Justice for everyone that loved and cared for him. That justice is found for my father’s friends, our family and I ,in the execution of this man.

I will receive Justice and Closure September 20th 2012 !

11Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Prayers out to you Tiffany and your family.

Nicely written with your heart.

And finally Justice will be served on September 20th, 2012.

Keep the good memories alive......don't let this animal take that away to.

12southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Donald Palmer should made to suffer in prison locked up 23 hours a day with NO privileges.

13LtMacGowan(633 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sorry but I don't condone murder. Committed by individuals or by the state.