2 cops face scrutiny in city probes

Published: Tue, September 11, 2012 @ 12:09 a.m.

youngstown

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The investigation into one Youngstown police officer’s retaliatory ticketing ended with a two-week suspension, and an investigation into another city officer’s actions is under way.

Lt. William Ross will be suspended for two weeks after an internal-affairs investigation determined he did target a woman he ticketed after the Italian Festival in downtown earlier this year.

Ross signed off on the suspension recommendation late last week.

Ross was found to have demonstrated failure of good behavior and improper conduct. He begins his suspension Oct. 1. Half of the two-week suspension period will be taken as loss in vacation time, and Ross has agreed not to fight the decision, police officials said.

The complaint against Ross stated the officer wanted an unidentified person admitted to the festival without paying the cover charge Aug. 3. The festival employee working at the gate denied the request, angering Ross.

The complaint says Ross also was upset with the festival employee about a different personal matter and, in retaliation, issued a traffic ticket to the employee later that same night. A co-worker of the festival employee’s brought the matter to police.

Police Chief Rod Foley said Ross’ career as a whole was taken into account in determining a suitable punishment.

“We found that he was certainly spiteful when he wrote the ticket, so he will be punished for that,” the chief said. “We looked at his whole career, and he has been a really good officer over his 20 years here. ... We are disappointed in his actions, and we hope this sends a message that this activity will not be tolerated.”

In an unrelated matter, Officer Phil Chance has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation into his activity, but no one will say exactly what activity is being investigated.

“We can’t comment any further until we discuss the matter with the legal department for the city, but he will be on leave until the matter is resolved,” Foley said.

Chance has been with the department since December 2006.

Chance made headlines in 2010 when he shot an 18-year-old male in the parking lot of a bar in the 900 block of Midlothian Boulevard. Reports say Chance, in that situation, was trying to control a large crowd that had assembled to watch a fight outside the bar. Chance asked the driver of a nearby car to turn down his music.

The driver, instead of turning down the music, aimed the car at Chance. The driver reportedly struck Chance with the car, forcing him onto the hood of the car and dragging the officer. Chance fired a shot striking the driver.

Chance was cleared in the shooting. The driver of the car ultimately pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of obstructing official business and driving under the influence.

Comments

1redding(20 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

HERE WE GO AGAIN! THAT CORRUPT YOUNGSTOWN POLICE DEPARTMENT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE! THEY HAVE ALWAYS USED RETALIATION AS A TOOL EVEN THAT THOUGH THAT NO-TALKING JIMMY HUGHES WOULD'NT ADMIT IT. NOW, SINCE THE YPD IS NO LONGER HIS FRIEND, I BET HE'S HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT ALL THE TIMES HE COVERED THINGS UP FOR THEM. WHY DID ROSS THINK HIS FRIEND SHOULDN'T PAY TO GET INTO THE FEST. IT WAS CHEAP!

2dawn421(265 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

is this a paid suspension? it never said. and he gives up vacation time? what a joke, i bet he files for the vac pay

3redneckwonder(13 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

“We found that he was certainly spiteful when he wrote the ticket, so he will be punished for that,” the chief said. “We looked at his whole career, and he has been a really good officer over his 20 years here." Obviously he's been crooked for his over 20 years, this behavior is not something that's done on a whim.

4peggygurney(402 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

YPD has been good to me and my family. I'm certainly not going to look upon the entire force with distain because of the actions of 2 officers.

5georgejeanie(869 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad I'm out of that rat hole town. I see nothing has changed cops on the take, rogue cops being judge and jury, what a place, and you Dumbocrats keeping voting that same straight party ticket. Good Luck!

6redding(20 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

@ PEGGY GURNEY.. 2 OFFICERS ARE INVOLVED IN THIS MATTER BUT, YOU KNOW FOR YOURSELF THAT A WHOLE LOT OF YPD OFFICERS GET INTO TROUBLE. LOOKS LIKE IT'S HARDER NOW FOR THE YPD TO BE DIRTY COPS AND GET AWAY WITH IT. HAIL TO THE CHIEF!

7whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Dont you have a black panther meeting tonight redding ?

8whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

If you don't break the Law , then you don't have to worry about it. Period.

9HaydenThomas(208 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Someone needs to tell Youngstown Born and Raised the cop ADMITTED it was in retaliation.

10peggygurney(402 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

@REDDING - No, I do NOT know that a whole lot of YPD officers get into trouble. I've heard about things that have happened in the past sure. But like I said above, since I've lived here, YPD has been good to me and my son. VERY good. My son is autistic, and several officers have gone out of their way to make him feel safe and secure, and let him know that they'll be there for him if he needs them.

Police officers are human - just like you and I. They make mistakes - just like YOU and I. There are officers in every single force in the country whose actions are less-than-stellar.

But again, like I said above, I will not withdraw my support for our police force because of the actions of a few. I, for one, will support the YPD until they give me a reason not to.

11XYTOWNER(1 comment)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Haven't lived in Y-town since Mike Yarish was Sheriff. I can see I haven't missed a thing!

12southsidedave(4807 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Suspended for two weeks over writing a so called "Unwarranted traffic ticket"...what was the ticker for?