Struthers police swear in city’s first female officer

Published: Fri, September 7, 2012 @ 12:06 a.m.

By jeanne starmack

starmack@vindy.com

struthers

It only took 110 years, but the Struthers police force now has its first full-time female officer.

Emma Brenoel, 22, was sworn in Thursday morning at the city building:

“I will be fair and just in all my dealings with people...

“I will not use the powers invested in me in any way except for the best interest of the public ...,” she repeated after Mayor Terry Stocker.

So, what took the city so long?

Stocker said it was simply thatthough women applied to be in the city’s police reserves, none ever applied for a full-time position.

There were two full-time positions open, and the timing was right, he said, adding he believes Brenoel will be an asset to the city.

“I’m very proud to be the chief when we were able to hire a female,” said Police Chief Tim Roddy.

While the swearing-in of a woman police officer is new to the city, police work is not brand new for Brenoel, who lives in Poland with parents Phil and Amy Brenoel.

She has been a reserve officer for Struthers for a month, and she began as a part-time officer for Poland village in June. She has also been a part-time officer in Craig Beach since February and has been a reserve with the Mahoning County Sheriff’s Office since January.

She graduated from Poland Seminary High School in 2008 and is attending Youngstown State University for a degree in criminal justice.

She completed the Ohio police Officer Training Academy in March 2011.

Brenoel said she can’t see herself as anything but a police officer.

“I think it just fits me,” she said. “I know it sounds cheesy, but I really like helping people solve their problems. It’s not just finding bad guys.”

“I love this place,” she continued. “I like working here. I feel like I fit in. This place will advance my education. The guys I work with — they’re just good guys.”

Looking on while Stocker administered the oath to Brenoel were her parents and her grandmother, Barb Ciccone of Struthers.

“We are very proud of her. She set a goal and met it,” said Amy Brenoel.

“She’s where she wanted to be,” said Phil Brenoel.

Brenoel’s first day on the job is today.

Stocker will swear in another full-time and two part-time officers today.

Ryan Kolenich is the new full-time officer. The new part-timers are Jeremy Cramer and Mark Mehley.

Struthers has 14 officers now, including the chief. The city will give a civil-service test for a police captain. Capt. Tom Skovira retired Aug. 31.

Comments

1bmanresident(597 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

She worked with both Poland and Craig Beach? Great, just what Struthers needs, a super cop. Don't expect to get away with a warning on this girl, not on her watch.

2d824(3 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't believe departments should have reserve officers. They work for free, for who knows how long, with the promise of a job, then just let them go. Slave labor if you ask me.

3justice50(8 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Its nice to know that they abuse their own rules and policies and hired the last one although he should have been disqualified based on his age and now they hire another one who has about a minute of police experience. There were several others on the list that had far more experience than her. Way to go Terry. Dont hire for the good of the city but for your personal agenda! It is obvious they hired her because she is female and not the best applicant.

4hellokitty(161 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Congratulations Officer Brenoel!

5redvert(2058 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

bmanresident, do not live in Poland but drive through it once or twice a day with my truck or classic car. Have not received a ticket or warning. Why is that???

6redvert(2058 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow, reading these posts tells me that this must be "whiny Friday"

7zebratank2006(16 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I have to agree with justice50. After the city was just cited form the plant explosion...this just seems politically driven. Struthers is just trying to look good because they have a mayor that doesn't know JACK and who takes advise from other people who don't know JACK!

8whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Foxy lady, I wanna know for sure.

Trying hard to come up with something so She could frisk me , that will not carry any time.

9kensgirl(590 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Good luck to her and best wishes. I know she'll do a great job. Keep safe - especially from people who try to knock you down (Physically AND verbally). Go get 'em kid!

10JoeFromHubbard(1024 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

@ aconstituent :

Good point.

Personally, I think she is arresting !