Valley Dems outspend Republicans

Published: Sat, October 27, 2012 @ 12:07 a.m.

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Incumbent state legislators from the Mahoning Valley raised and spent significantly more money than their Republican challengers in efforts to get re-elected.

Campaign finance reports for April 7 to Oct. 17 show the Democratic incumbents, for the most part, relied heavily on political action committees to give them the lion’s share of the money they raised.

In the 59th Ohio House District race, incumbent state Rep. Ronald V. Gerberry, a Democrat from Austintown, received $68,975, much from PACs including $6,000 from the Wholesale Beer & Wine Association of Ohio, $2,500 from the Ohio Education Association Fund for Children and Public Education, and $2,000 each from the FirstEnergy and Ohio Nurses Association PACs.

Gerberry is spending $12,660 for commercials on 21 WFMJ-TV, beginning today and running through Election Day.

In comparison, Kimberly Poma of Boardman, Gerberry’s Republican challenger, raised $24,390 between April 7 and Oct. 17, including a $1,500 contribution from the candidate.

With her campaign $139 in debt as of Oct. 17, Poma has pulled her local network TV affiliate ads before they were to run.

In the 63rd Ohio House District race, incumbent Sean J. O’Brien, a Democrat from Brookfield, raised $31,930 compared with $2,670 raised by Pat Paridon of Niles, his Republican opponent.

In the 64th Ohio House District, incumbent Thomas B.J. Letson, a Democrat from Warren, received $41,850 in contributions compared with $2,836 for his Republican challenger, Randy Law of Warren.

State Sen. Capri S. Cafaro of Liberty, D-32nd, raised the most of any state legislator from the Valley with $118,010.

In addition to PAC money, Cafaro also received at least $42,200 from her family — which made its fortune by operating malls and other shopping complexes. She also gave $10,000 of her own money to her campaign.

Her Republican opponent, Nancy McArthur of Chardon, didn’t file a campaign finance report with the Ohio secretary of state.

State Rep. Robert F. Hagan, a Democrat from Youngstown, is running unopposed.

He received $43,073 in contributions with the big one of $11,543 from the SEIU District 1199 Political Contributing Entity.

Hagan said he is giving much of the money to fellow “progressive” legislators and candidates.

“I’m helping to get my friends elected,” he said. “I don’t know what I’m going to do [with the money I keep]. I may run for [Youngstown] mayor or something. I need to maintain some money.”

In the 7th District Court of Appeals race, challenger Mark A. Hanni raised more than incumbent Judge Mary DeGenaro.

Hanni received $86,755 from donors and loaned $15,100 of his own money to the campaign.

Judge DeGenaro, seeking her third six-year term, raised $37,100 between April 7 and Oct. 17. She had $35,061 going into the pre-general-election period.

DeGenaro is spending $30,305 on Youngstown-area TV network affiliates for commercials compared with Hanni’s $35,335.

The court has jurisdiction over eight counties, but the population center is Mahoning and Columbiana counties.

Comments

1chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Reading between the head-lines:

"Valley Dems outspend Republicans. So what's new. Obama, Sherrod & his Dem Congress are the Moneymakers behind Stimulus Funding and printing money"

Real change will be here on 11/6. Watch the Chris Matthews' meltdown on MSNBC

2ibsteve2u(8 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

It is almost impossible to believe Dems have outspent Reps on anything. I was driving around Mercer county admiring the sheer size, amount, and quality of the Republican signs...I've never seen anything like it in the three decades I've spent stateside since getting out of the Army.

The expense...all I can think is those Republican types sure will spend a lot of money so they don't have to spend money protecting Americans here at home from the dangers of starvation, disease, and homelessness.

It don't make any sense to me...why spend money fighting al Qaeda (or anybody else) "over there", when you got people - the Republicans - trying to make sure Americans don't have any alternative to dying over here?

3commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

IB, WHAT????? How maney more people do you want on welfare and S.S. disability? Who is going to pay for all of the "freeloaders" (There are people that truely need help and we should take care of them). Look at the people in line for the handouts wearing leather jackets, gold jewelry, talking on cell phone, etc----do they REALLY need help or JUST don't want to work?

4ibsteve2u(8 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

@commoncitizen: Seen you guys complaining on the web about "Obama phones" before. Me, I've given leather jackets to the goodwill store before (it's called "charity"). Don't know about the jewelry. You saying you've run up to such people with a jeweller's scope and a bottle of nitric acid to verify it's real?

5ibsteve2u(8 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

I get a little tired of the "people buying steaks with food stamps" bull. I was at wally world and somebody in front of me paid for their food with one of those green cards. As I'm paying for my stuff (cash, before you start), I hear this woman behind me start going off about that previous person buying steaks with an EBT card.

I'm afraid that I may have sounded a little angry when I pointed out that those were chuck steaks, and those things are so cheap and tough that you could use 'em to tenderize the kind of person who runs their mouth about food stamps.