Ind. GOP Senate candidate stands by rape comment

Published: Wed, October 24, 2012 @ 2:51 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said today he is standing by his statement that when a woman becomes pregnant during a rape "that's something God intended." He says some people have twisted the meaning of his comment.

Mourdock said in a news conference that he abhors any sexual violence and regrets it if his comment during a debate Tuesday night left another impression. He said he firmly believes all life is precious and that he abhors violence of any kind.

"I spoke from my heart. And speaking from my heart, speaking from the deepest level of my faith, I would not apologize. I would be less than faithful if I said anything other than life is precious, I believe it's a gift from God," Mourdock said

Presidential candidate Mitt Romney and other Republicans have distanced themselves from Mourdock's stance.

Mourdock, who has been locked in one of the country's most expensive and closely watched Senate races, was asked during the final minutes of a debate Tuesday night whether abortion should be allowed in cases of rape or incest.

"I struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And, I think, even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen," Mourdock said.

Comments

1Attis(863 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Akin, who unbelievably sits on the Senate Science Committee, believes that a female body (mysteriously controlled by God) prevents pregnancy in a 'legitimate' rape. Mourdock, a wannabe Senator, believes that pregnancies resulting from rape are caused by the rapist and God making God an accomplice to rape. Where do these neanderthal misogynists come from, and why would anyone (especially any woman) in their right mind vote for them and their ilk?

2DwightK(1236 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

These are also the same people who won't create legislation that bars rapists from having parental rights.That means they can harrass the mother, sue for custody and demand visitation. The GOP has some serious problems with how it treats women and those who commit violence against women.

3IslandMike(748 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

GOP = The Party of Hate

4nascar74(43 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

IslandMike: How did you get hate from the article? The candidate was clearly wrong. Political affiliation aside. I believe that you have a lot of hostility built up and want to blame it on others. Go to where your web name bares - an island

5IslandMike(748 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

GOP hates, latinos, african-americans, women and jews.

Mitt Flopper hates 47% of all Americans and wants to turn MEDICARE into a VOUCHER PROGRAM. He also wanted to let GM CLOSE FOREVER.

6IslandMike(748 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Only a Neo-Con could make the rape comment that Mourdock did and not even have anyone surprised by it. That's the GOP in a nutshell.

Can anyone tell me why Mitt-Flopper who they claim to be soooo great as a former governor of Massachusetts is not even going to carry his state in the election? Seems to me if he was able to get elected governor and having done such a great job as they claim, well he should be projected to carry the state in the election. Go ahead Neo-Cons, I'll await your brilliant answers!!

7HonestAbe(270 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

If I were a Republican, I would be horrified by these comments. Why don't you Republicans stand up and unite against Mourdock and Akin? If you have any hope of acquiring mass numbers of female voters, you need to act swiftly and decisively against these hateful morons.

8BabaGhanoush(106 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

ironmike:
" He also wanted to let GM CLOSE FOREVER."

Show us where he said that, mikey.

9WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Why did this surprise anyone? Any woman, especially of childbearing age, who would vote for one of these people should have her head examined.

I'm not saying that all Republicans believe these things, but that these morons aren't censured by their own for making such misogynistic remarks is incomprehensible.