Former mayor’s son found dead

Published: Tue, October 23, 2012 @ 12:05 a.m.

photo

Ungaro

By Danny Restivo

drestivo@vindy.com

AUSTINTOWN

The son of a well-known Mahoning Valley officeholder was found dead about 5 a.m. Sunday at the Sleep Inn on Interstate Boulevard.

Sean P. Ungaro, 39, of Oriole Drive in Liberty, was the son of Patrick J. Ungaro, Liberty Township administrator and former mayor of Youngstown. He also was the brother of Eric Ungaro, a Poland Township trustee.

According to police reports, Sean Ungaro was staying at the motel with a 33-year-old woman. The incident still is under investigation.

The younger Ungaro had a criminal record that included drug possession and theft.

“Our family has been on a journey with my brother that many families across America have been on,” Eric Ungaro said in a statement. “In the end, God willing, our family will become stronger.”

In 2006, Sean Ungaro was arrested at a Coitsville Kmart after he and another person tried to steal razor blades. In 2002, he was found by an ambulance crew asleep in his car and clutching a hypodermic needle. A year before, he was arrested for drug-abuse instruments after police found opiate residue, syringes and a metal spoon.

According to reports, Sean Ungaro admitted he was a heroin addict.

Mike Senchak, executive director of Mahoning County Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services, said the whole family is affected when one member is suffering from drug addiction. He said the disease cuts through all races, classes and socioeconomic backgrounds.

“This is a disease like diabetes or heart disease,” said Senchak. “Pat’s son was a good person that made some bad choices, and he needed some help.”

Calling hours will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Schiavone Funeral Home on Belmont Avenue. There will be a service at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church at 10 a.m. Friday.

Comments

1Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Very sad. My prayers go out to the family.

2shawnc617(4 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

How is this news worthy? This is a family's private situation! Shame on the vindicator!

3kensgirl(634 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

God bless this family during this awful time. My heart goes out to all of them. May Sean rest in peace surronded by God's love and mercy.

4lak(2 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

My heart goes out to the Ungaro Family. If you have never been through this ordeal of addiction do not comment. I agree what right does the Vindicator have to bring up Sean's past-Oh yes freedom of speech-well I can tell you what to do with that at a time like this. I had the pleasure of knowing Sean and he was one of the nicest young men I have had the pleasure of knowing. Noone knows what this young man was fighting,or what personal issues he was dealing with- unless you yourself have been there - do not judge. Addiction is a disease - there is no cure - it has to be dealt with on a daily basis. Remember addiction affects everyone who loves you. Maybe people who are ignorant to the disease should read up on it or better yet attend a meeting. Sean may you rest in peace. My heart goes out to his son who really is going to miss out on having a great father. My prayers and thoughts to all who know and loved Sean.

5lak(2 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with Hulkster find out where this garbage is coming from and do something abut it. I had to go to another young man's funeral who had fallen victom to this same disease and death. I asked the young people at the calling hours how do you get this stuff - I was told "IT'S EASIER TO GET THAN FINDING A JOB AROUND HERE" WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ABOUT THE AREA WE LIVE IN!!
pLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESES PRETATORS BEFORE WE LOSE MORE WONDERFUL YOUNG PEOPLE!!

6dawn421(265 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I know for a fact some of its in boardman. I don't do it but unfortunately I know people that do. This kid was in rehab how many times and it didn't work.please let other parents learn from this and if possible get them help and don't bail them out of jail. Prayers to pat and family

7JoeDirt35(14 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

My prayers and deepest sympathy to the Ungaro family.The Vindacator truly needs to learn respect and tact,true Pat Ungaro is a public figure and could have had small blurp about Sean's death,but to bring up Sean's past truly truly in very poor taste.You should be truly ashamed of yourselves.

8Ashleymena(2 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Sean was an amazing person who was always upbeat and positive. He tried as best as he could to overcome his past and disease and owned up to all of his past mistakes. He was an amazing man, one of the best that I have ever known. An article like this does him no justice.

9jjking720(11 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

My heartfelt condolences to the entire Ungaro Family

10walter_sobchak(1949 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

My sympathy to the Ungaro family. Most public figures will tell you that their families get dragged into the spotlight with them and that it can hurt their families. That is just the way it is. I will never understand the addictive personality. Of course, I also don't have one. But, what I don't understand is with all the education we have done with our youth about drugs, why would a person try it for the first time? What makes that person believe that they will be the first one that can use drugs and not have it end up going down a bad road? It has similarly touched members of my family and, while I have sympathy for the loved ones left behind, especially children, I have anger for the deceased for being so selfish in their choices. I know that is harsh but...

11flickchick001(6 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Dawn, this is the second post about Sean that you have made negative comments. For those of us who cared about him, show some respect. Your snide comments are totally unnecessary. I don't care how many times someone goes to rehab as long as they continue to try.You need to get a life.

12Cbus(2 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with flickchick001, Dawn you need to stop posting to anything that has to do with the Ungaro Family. Dawn you must live a very sad life for posting such negative statements. I will pray for you as I see you need positive thoughts sent your way.

I am honor that I was able to know Sean and my heart felt sorrow and prayers go out to the Ungaro family.

13Ladytaz0930(69 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

JoeDirt,

My condolences go out to Mr. Ungaro and family as well.

But to another topic if this was a black politician's kid would you feel so sorry or would you be making racial remarks about the drug use????? It is the same thing here but it is a white politicians kid so it is OK.

It is strange how I read some of these comments on Vindy hardly ever add to it but it seems when the same thing happens to white people it is ok or understandable but if a black or latino does it you guys condemn them to hell.

I'm just saying! Let's keep it real.

Feel sorry for anyone no matter what color of their skin gets killed or something like this happens just remember that person you are condemning is also someones child, grand child or just a good friend. Everyone has feelings!

14missa1284(4 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't know this family but my prayers go out to them. As a former addict, I know what a struggle it is. May someone find sobriety and something positive out of such an unfortunate situation.

15flickchick001(6 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't think race has anything to do with it. I'm offended because I lost a friend. The family should be able to bury him with dignity. If Sean was black I would be equally offended. This isn't the place to turn this into a race thing

16uselesseater(229 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

“This is a disease like diabetes or heart disease”

Then go get medicated and have healthcare deal with it.

If he was addicted to opiates, there are treatments, clinics, in patient and out patient care.

Clearly, anyone that wants to stop can. Just apply that wasted energy into stopping instead of copping drugs.

Shame we make excuses for things and call choices beyond a persons control. Where has the personal responsibility in our society gone.

17flickchick001(6 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

wow! sounds like a snap! you have no clue what you are talking about. Judging by your comment it seems like you want to be contrary and disrespectful. Good for you! Hope that made your night. And for your info been through an immediate family member on opiates,meetings, rehab...etc. clean 5 years than started abusing again. It is a tough road

18kurtw(914 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Addiction of any kind is a tough road and it afflicts all groups and every race.

The media does have a responsibility to report a persons prior history- when that history is a matter of public record (visits to a psychiatrist or priest are another matter) and, in a way, it's good because, maybe, it acts a a "cautionary tale" for others- a deterrent.

It's a sad time for that family and, of course, it's easy to be glib about "self-control" and just saying "No", but the truth of the matter is that the human brain is peculiarly susceptible to addictions of all kinds which, once they become rooted, are hard, and often, impossible to "kick". In many cases what happens is they kick us. Just look at how hard it is to give up smoking or the morning cup of coffee for most people and that's minor compared to opiates

19pennygirl(6 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Flickchick,I was glad to see you posted about Dawn 421, He seems to be very negative about life in general.As a parent who has lost a son,I know how devastated this family is right now. They certainly do not need people who did not know their son giveing their opinion about his death. This Dawn person hides behind his computer. He claims he knows for fact about drugs in Boardman,well how about posting some names to go with your facts. You have alot of nerve posting your sympathies to the family. Dawn421,I would bet money that your neighbors would say you are a pain in the ass and nosey.

20kensgirl(634 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Can I just ask one question of an addict? Why did you start in the first place? Ever since the hippie culture of the 1960's we were all taught NOT to take drugs. Most of us heeded that call. Why did some others go the wrong way? These kids today had more education on the dangers of drugs than we ever had and still they partake. I've never understood why some people do and some don't. Can you just tell me why? This disease crosses all socio-economic barriers and races. I'm baffled. I'm not judging just curious. I hope everyone gets the help they need so no more lives are lost to this type of tragedy. God protect all of you.

21shawnc617(4 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Did I miss something? Where did it say he died of a drug overdose??? I love how we are bringing up his past!!! How in the world do you know how he died? How do you know he was not clean?

22pennygirl(6 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Thank you Shawn617 for posting that. People love to assume the worse. Kensgirl...you ask why someone would start in the first place, my ex husband never did drugs,when our son died last year at some point someone gave him cocaine to numb the pain. I believe he may do other drugs because he is losing his teeth, I have found I can not believe anything he tells me.I look at him and I dont know this person anymore. I would also like to add if anyone who is reading this that knows the mother of Sean,please buy her the book Lost No More from Marilyn Burns. This book helped me deal with the passing of my own son.

23dawn421(265 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

To all of you that took offense to my post that asked that parents may learn. Bailing them out over and over doesn't help them.and I do feel bad for the family and yes I know pat as he is our township administrator.you think I was rude but I don't see that. What's the difference whether I say about rehab or this paper prints it? And no I wont post names of the dealers but boardman police know. And to the rest of you that think I'm just rude stop and think that maybe this has touched my life and I may know what I'm talking about. Treatment is expensive and can cost $100 a week or more and if you don't have ins. It is hard. I saw first hand what this crap does to family's and to tell them to just quit doesn't cut it.

24algin11(1 comment)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Ive been reading these comments for a few days now just to see what people are saying because I happened to be good friends with Sean. I didnt see all the comments that the "Dawn421" person posted but obviously he just has nothing better to do, but being an opiate addict myself, now clean 2 yrs, I was completely disgusted with "uselesseater". This person is completely ignorant and has no business commenting on a subject they know absolutely nothing about. The comment " clearly anyone that wants to stop can" was truely the worst. An addict of any kind not just opiates but especially opiates could want to stop for a very long time and be unable to. Not everyone can just go get on medicaid which I believe is what you were trying to say when you said let healthcare deal with it. Rehabs and treatment centers cost alot of money but beyond that the mental aspect of this disease is worse than anything you could ever imagine. So before you go making random stupid comments again bone-up on whatever it is you think you know about! .........My prayers are with The Ungaro's and I love and miss you Sean!!

25dawn421(265 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey align read your texts before you comment I never said it was easy to stop. I commented on another that said it was. Try reading my post before you bring my name in it. I've been there with family and it is bad. I never said a bad thing about this boy but to say he was in rehab. And my son was hos roommate that is how I know. So you all need to stop bashing me cuz I didn't say crap bad about him. O said I hope other parents learn.

26CathyPattersonNaughton(1 comment)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I am a member of Sean's graduating class at Ursuline. When classmates learned of his death, we were beyond heartbroken. Not one mean, unkind, unflattering thing was, or could have been said, about Sean who was by everyone’s account, a kind, gentle soul who graced our presence for 39 years. Our class has had our share of heartbreaks, several of us going too soon, with little reason or explanation. But, have they had their family trashed through the Youngstown Vindicator? The answer is NO. If the Vindicator feels that it is their responsibility to smear the deceased’s name through the mud, then the Vindicator should be thick with pages on all the mistakes of everyone in Youngstown. Sean was not involved in politics, and was not running for office. He had nothing to do with the running of a city, or the votes of a county. Shame on you for believing that this inaccurate and incomplete information is acceptable to publish! Shame on you for compounding the grief of his family and friends! Shame on you for having such a pathetic moral code and the inability to present information of what is truly important to the community. Stop the gossip and fishing for a story, Vindicator.

27Uhs91(2 comments)posted 2 years ago

Great job, Cathy! Thank you for reminding us all how great Sean was.
Dawn421, check your spelling and grammar. It makes you look as uneducated as you sound, "family's" should have been in the plural form not the possessive.

28MPetaccio(2 comments)posted 2 years ago

I was a very good friend of Seans I moved away to Cleveland 4 years ago and was trying to find him went I sadly came across this artical ,Danny we talked on thephone and I will talk to your empolyer as well.I THINK YOU ARE A SAD ,sad man who has no heart nor moral values ,Sean was the former Majors son and yes like me struggles ,STRUGGLES every day with addiction, I can not speak for Sean but I know for me it was to escape my own demeans{he just got lost and for what ever reason related best to the people that got high} Drugs were easily accessible thanks to my parents , but threw counseling and proper diagnoses I now am Clean, and know Sean had the same goal !!He was a GOOD person; He loved his son, and hated the lifestyle that killed him! Printing his criminal passed was not only poor judgment {and I do believe god doesn’t forgive, $elf $serving pigs like you Danny boy} The only print worthy story here is a man died under duress and when I say that I mean the withdrawal from heroin is violent and with that Miserere the thoughts of doing yourself great harm are on the for front of ones mind!!