Joe was a bully; Paul, composed

Published: Thu, October 18, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Joe was a bully; Paul, composed

I am writing this the morn- ing after the VP debate, and the only words that come to me to described Joe Biden’s performance is schoolyard bully. Laughing, mugging, smirking, interrupting. The only thing missing: blows were not exchanged.

Paul Ryan showed a great deal of composure, and self control. Because Martha the Moderator was oblivious, at one point he said to Joe, we could have a much more intelligent debate if we did not keep interrupting each other. Joe ignored his request. Biden was on a mission to burn and destroy.

I felt the moderator showed very poor taste to ask both men what faith meant in their personal lives. That is a personal thing between you and your God. Both men are Catholic, Paul’s answer was a well measured response following the Catholic doctrine. Joe had a much harder time trying to match his Catholic beliefs with the Democratic platform, and his president’s gay marriage, abortion, contraception, and don’t ask, don’t tell programs. He sucked it up and gave his normal confusing answer.

With regard to Libya and the death of our people, lies and cover up is all you can say, and Joe did that.

Tom Page, Boardman

Are you ‘better off’ or ‘surviving?’

I believe the coming election to be extremely important. The future of many people struggling to survive without jobs may depend a great amount on who wins the presidency.

Political advertisements ask: “Are you better off now than you were four years ago?” As a voting senior citizen I question: “Does my survival depend on who occupies the Oval Office?” For me being better off is an extra bonus, but at my age survival is an absolute necessity.

May the best qualified candidate win. It’s the American way.

Mary Lou Jurina, Youngstown

Comments

1gdog4766(1410 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

If joe was a reliarcan they would say he was in charge and Paul wimpish.

2CasLee(9 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

October 16, 2012
Hello, my fellow American voters!
I watched the Oct. 3rd and Oct. 16th presidential and Oct. 11th vice-presidential debates.
1st Romney-Obama debate covered 7 topics: jobs; budget deficit/debt; social security/entitlements; federal regulation of economy; healthcare; federal government role in economy; partisan gridlock.
2nd Romney-Obama debate covered 11 topics: college graduate jobs; gas prices; taxes; equal pay; Bush policies; Obama’s record; illegal immigrants; Libya; assault weapons; jobs; candidate misperceptions.
Ryan-Biden debate covered 10 topics: Libya; Iran; economy; medicare/social security/entitlements; taxes/tax reform/spending/budget cuts; military policy; Afghanistan; Syria; abortion; negative campaign tactics.
As an INDEPENDENT female feminist (egalitarian) voter, I support the Romney/Ryan ticket.
Romney and Ryan won all three debates, although Obama improved some in the 2nd debate.
Ryan won despite Biden’s consistently rude/disrespectful behavior during the debate
(Biden interrupted Ryan often, laughed often while Ryan was talking, pointed his finger often).
Biden’s tactics to evade issues/truth were disrespectful to Americans interested in facts, figures, forecasts, and solutions for real people with real problems.
Romney and Ryan won with substance, directness, integrity, respect, clarity, facts, commitment, inspiration, and leadership.
These debates confirm that Romney and Ryan are the best persons in terms of qualifications and character to lead our country to solve problems and make life better for all Americans.
I am inspired by Romney/Ryan, and I hope that you are too!
Best regards,
Cas Lee

3chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

CasLee, thank you for your intelligent post.

gdog can only make ad hominem attacks

4gdog4766(1410 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Chuck I'm beginning to think your a d-bag reliarcan! Tell me it's not so. But then the moniker you picked would be appropriate.

5mrblue(968 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought Mr. Bidens performance was totally unprofessional. Did he get his teeth whitened?

6natureman(66 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Go ahead and vote for Romney/Ryan and see how they will destroy this country. Anyone who votes for them who is not a rich person is very foolish. Joe Biden is much more experienced and caring than Ryan will ever be. I would never vote for Romney/Ryan because I know what will happen to the middle class. Look what the Republican governor has tried to do in Ohio. The reason we hae all these school levies in Ohio is due to their lack of concern for school funding. Wake up people of Ohio and vote for Obama/Biden!!