Delphi retirees won’t forget

Published: Sun, October 14, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Delphi retirees won’t forget

Last Monday marked the 7th anniversary of Delphi filing for bankruptcy protection in 2005. Coincidentally, almost to the date, Delphi came out of bankruptcy Oct. 6, 2010.

Since then the lives of 22,000 Delphi salaried retirees and families have been forever altered, and not for their good. Many saw their vested pensions reduced by 30 percent to 70 percent. These were pensions that salaried employees had partially funded with their own contributions over their many years of service to GM and then Delphi. All of us saw cancellation of our health and life insurances.

These were some of the consequences resulting from the cold, calculated choices made by the Obama administration, Treasury and the Automotive Task Force to pick winners and losers in the GM (Government Motors) bailout. GM wins; the American taxpayers and Delphi salaried retirees lose.

It is truly amazing that the Obama administration might think that the determination of the Delphi salaried retirees to see a job through to successful completion was like a light switch suddenly and forever turned off once we retired. How wrong they are. We were always a “can do” group of employees. We did “whatever it took” to solve problems and issues so that the products we produced were made to the highest quality standards and shipped on time. We always worked as a team — a team that included our hourly brothers and sisters. The culture of GM/Delphi encouraged those attitudes in all of us.

We salaried retirees are a determined lot. President Obama needs to know that we are not going away until our pensions are fully restored and other grievances redressed.

Dennis Beck, Liberty Township

One dire look into the future

Many Americans have al- ready made up their minds to vote for Obama next month. They consider themselves to be true, rock-solid Democrats, or are voting for him because of race, or are union members who believe Obama supports them. They should reconsider.

There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that this president is “fundamentally transforming” America into a socialist nation. Even if you don’t fully understand these words, or what they imply, you should know from history that socialism doesn’t work, plain and simple. A former citizen of the Soviet Union recently stated that, “socialism is seductive, but is a totally bankrupt philosophy.” Seductive in that many people like the idea that government will take care of them. Bankrupt because you eventually run out of “other people’s money.”

I really don’t think people know the importance of this vote in how it will influence their near future and the future of their children and grandchildren. The national debt is at $16 trillion, and it rests on the shoulders of Americans yet unborn.

People all across our nation are preparing for dire consequences if Obama is re-elected. These people are serious and are getting ready for worst-case scenarios to protect their families and friends, to defend their freedom and liberty; to restore our nation to original intent Constitutionalism. Novels have been written about a possible terrorist nuclear weapon creating an electromagnetic pulse that would destroy all electronic devices within range. If that happens, it is estimated that 25 percent of our population would die in the first year for a number of reasons. Likewise, if Obama and Hillary pursue making gun ownership illegal, there will be a huge backlash of Americans who will refuse to give up their Second Amendment rights.

So, my fellow Americans, consider the consequences of your votes next month; it may mean the difference between liberty and tyranny.

Donald K. Allen, DVM, Youngstown

Another dire look into the future

Imagine:

Nov. 6, 2012, the Tea Party takes over more statehouses, governors’ offices, and the U.S. Senate. Mitt Romney wins the White House.

Jan. 2, 2013, more states begin to pass voter-restriction laws, anti-union laws, more-restrictive abortion laws. The U.S. Congress begins the process of scrapping the Affordable Care Act, the EPA, the Department of Education, the Energy Department and others. They vote to void the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Voting Rights Act and all regulatory agencies.

Congress also starts the process to privatize Social Security, change Medicare to a voucher system, eliminate Medicaid altogether.

Jan. 21, 2013, Congress sends all these bills over to President Romney, who signs every one of them.

Jan. 21, 2013-Jan. 20, 2017, at least one liberal member of the Supreme Court retires. President Romney nominates an ultra-conservative, to whom the Senate quickly consents. The court shifts dramatically to the right for at least a generation.

Jan. 21, 2013-Jan. 20, 2017, Congress moves to change the U.S. Constitution, repealing amendments they don’t like and adding amendments. Amendments allowing religion in schools, outlawing abortion and defining marriage as being between one man and one woman are added. Three-quarters of the states, being under Tea Party control, move quickly to ratify the changes.

Of course, throughout the period, various lawsuits are filed. But the Justice Department is now controlled by President Romney and the Supreme Court by the far right, so good luck.

This may be the most important election of our lifetime. That’s why it’s so important that everyone should vote. Shame on us if we allow this country to be taken over by this bunch of fanatics.

Geoffrey Jones, Boardman

Romney championed auto rescue

The controversy over the GM bailout continues with references in The Vindicator to a New York Times op-ed piece headlined: “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt,” penned by Mitt Romney. Those who wave the title of the op-ed and attribute it to Romney are just playing a crass political game. After all it’s a newspaper editor who wrote the headline, not Mitt Romney.

Those who point to the headline would have you believe that Romney’s plan was to have the auto industry fail, collapse, go out of business. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Listening to Romney’s critics you would think that Obama spared GM the pain of bankruptcy. In fact GM was forced into bankruptcy by the Obama administration in exchange for federal financial help. Obama followed the path laid down by Romney, when he advised: “A managed bankruptcy may be the only path to fundamental restructuring the industry needs.” Six month after Romney’s advice, the Obama administration forced GM into a managed bankruptcy.

No doubt bankruptcy would have looked different under a Romney administration. It would have been much less political and local Delphi retirees might have been treated more fairly, but the focus would have been the same: finding a way to save the industry.

In Romney’s op-ed piece, he explicitly supported federal loan guarantees to help the troubled automaker re-establish itself as a viable business. Romney concluded his piece this way: “The federal government should provide guarantees for post-bankruptcy financing and assure car buyers that their warranties are not at risk. In a managed bankruptcy, the federal government would propel newly competitive and viable automakers, rather than seal their fate with a bailout check.”

When reading Romney’s article, it’s clear he has great compassion for the auto industry. He talked about his love for the auto industry, and pointed out that he was born in Detroit, and his father was tapped to lead American Motors through difficult times.

Mark E. Munroe, Youngstown

The writer is chairman of the Mahoning County Republican Party.

Comments

1HappyBob(285 comments)posted 2 years ago

I am voting for Obama. Why ?
I am not a rock-solid democrat, I am not black, I'm not a union member.
I am voting for Obama because I believe that Romney really does believe what he said about the 47% of America.

I am a 47%er. BUT for 50 some years I worked and paid taxes. I now am living on Social Security AND my personal savings accumulated during my working years. So for now, I am in the group that Romney has described as irresponsible.

For Romney to say about me "I'l never convince (the 47% who pay no income tax) that they should take personal responsibility for their lives" is offensive.

For Romney to characterize me, " They (the 47% who pay no income tax) are dependant on the government, believe they are victims, believe that the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe thay are entitled to healthcare, food, to housing , and who believe that the government should give it to them".

Unfortunately I believe that he intended exactly what he said about me. His problem was that he never intended me to hear him describing me to others.

Romney has convinced me that he is just a snake-oil salesman. He will say whatever is needed in a particular town or setting to make the sale.

Ultimately, not only did he offend me personally, he has now convinced me that I can not trust his words.

And that's why I'm not voting for Romney!

2youngspartanrepublican(92 comments)posted 2 years ago

I myself liked the America Geoffrey Jones described.

3andersonathan(669 comments)posted 2 years ago

For Romney to characterize me, " They (the 47% who pay no income tax) are dependent on the government, believe they are victims, believe that the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that are entitled to healthcare, food, to housing , and who believe that the government should give it to them".

Personally I liked what you said above. Mr Romney said it bit his lip before the explanation. Knowing what the headlines would read and his point never being able to be made.

Right now we have a society made up of welfare grandmothers Mothers and more babies on the way
A society of deadbeat dads. There is also a record high Social security claims being made by people of "Non-retirement" Record high Welfare. yet we are told 7.8 unemployment? Social Security is the Bubble Bust no one can afford. You Worked hard, saved, collected at the end of the day [work life] 4 more years of Obama will be the end of America as we once lived in it. If Obamacare does not get underfunded we will be a 2nd tier country and falling quickly and this is the new democrat party ideas Welfare And Social Security disability were started as a temporary help to people NOT A WAY OF LIFE

4Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years ago

The American Dream of today is getting a welfare check and free public housing. Those who work for a paycheck are looked upon as the tax base. The rewards for years of working and paying taxes are getting slimmer. Don't expect much and you wont be disappointed. Government jobs are the only ones with a secure pension

OMG the Culture is out and about . We must stop those people . From the super insight of HULK/ STAN .
He is SOOOO smart

5HappyBob(285 comments)posted 2 years ago

Please explain... "Mr Romney said it bit his lip before the explanation. Knowing what the headlines would read and his point never being able to be made." When was this said, what explanation are you talking about and what was his point (originally)?

"For weeks, Mitt Romney stood by his now-infamous remarks about “the 47 percent.” Sure, he said, his criticism of nearly half of Americans who don’t pay income taxes was “not elegantly stated,” but he refused to disavow it." according to the WashingtonPost.

“Clearly in a campaign, with hundreds if not thousands of speeches and question-and-answer sessions, now and then you’re going to say something that doesn’t come out right. In this case, I said something that’s just completely wrong,” -Mitt Romney to Sean Hannity on Fox News

If the "something came out wrong" he should explain what he was trying to say and why he it blundered so badly. But Romney's original remarks to his wealthy donors went on for over a minute, this was no gaffe.This was no slip of the tongue. This was the honest to goodness Romney being very candid with his donors about what he thinks of citizens who do not have an income tax bill. .

My view of the American society is an optimistic one. It is essential that we have faith and confidence in our leaders. I have none with Romney, he destroyed that with his remarks about the 47%ers.

6grand4dad(197 comments)posted 2 years ago

Well said HappyBob, I agree with you 100%. His views are insulting to all of us in this category.

7jojuggie(1306 comments)posted 2 years ago

Here is one of Romney's 47%'s:

Under the heading of “YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS”, this is an actual event that I personally witnessed and was a part of today.
At approximately 2:30ish pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Kroger store on SR 28 in Goshen, Ohio to pick up a few items. I gathered my items and went to the 10 and under register to check-out.
The person in front of me (white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check out surface – ONE GRAPE. Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the women then pulled out her EBT card (credit card for food stamps) and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can. The register recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00, credit .02, total $24.00 cash back. The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.
As the next person in line I asked the cashier “as a tax payer what in the hell just happened here?” She said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her EBT card. The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it. My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one tax payer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.
This is not one of those stories that a friend of a friend told a friend – I WITNESSED THIS AND WOULD LOVE TO TESTIFY IN COURT TO WHAT I SAW, however, it is apparently not illegal to go into a grocery store and buy a GRAPE, throw it away and take cash back from a food stamp EBT card and walk out the door. If she is so poor she needs food stamps why in the hell didn’t she buy groceries.
Please send this to everyone you know-- this needs to get out to the public! If we don’t get the takers stopped we are all doomed.

8jojuggie(1306 comments)posted 2 years ago

This is for Happybob & Andersonathan - if you haven't read the previous post - here it is again.

Here is one of Romney's 47%'s:

9southsidedave(4786 comments)posted 2 years ago

Vote for Obama if you "need" food stamps and subsidized housing...what a joke.