Suit: Man fired for doubting 9/11 memorial safety
NEW YORK (AP) — A former manager at the Sept. 11 memorial says he was fired for raising health and security concerns at one of the most security-conscious places in the world.
Thomas Cancelliere sued the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum today. The New York memorial had no immediate response.
Cancelliere’s lawsuit says he was the memorial’s facilities director from November 2010 until his firing last month.
The suit says he alerted his bosses that the water in the memorial’s signature fountains carried illness-causing bacteria and that exit gates were too narrow and could hinder an evacuation, among other concerns. He says that supervisors told him the issues weren’t his responsibility or were being addressed, but that they weren’t.
He says he was told he was being dismissed because of cost-cutting, but he believes it was retaliation.