What about party loyalty?

Published: Wed, October 3, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

What about party loyalty?

I was appalled when I read the article in the Vindicator that an officer of the Mahoning County Democratic Party, Jaladah Aslan, vice chairman of Labor Relations, endorsed a Republican.

I, as a precinct committee person, have a duty to work for the Democratic person who was selected in the primary election. I would hope that a vice chairman of the party would do the same.

If she is not a Democrat, she should not have the job.

Gary Brant, Austintown

Comments

1truth101(20 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Gary,
You have just underscored the glaring weakness of our political system - especially here in the Mahoning Valley. Blind loyalty to either party is a major reason we keep electing weak, unqualified candidates. I too am a Democrat in that I identify more with the overall Democratic philosophy and priorities. That doesn't mean that I have become a lemming who doesn't think. I still vote for the best candidate - not the party. If more of us did the same, we might one day climb out of the local political cesspool and move the Valley forward. I commend Ms. Aslan for being "loyal" to her quality standards and her independent thinking!

2gdog4766(1495 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I am also a precinct committeeman and if this is true Dave can her or we will can you. We have had far too many copperheads in this local party. Over the years there have been several people who fed at the democratic trough, then backed republicans. Don't ask for my support, time and money if you are a lying disloyal person. Rosemary Durking, Pat Ungaro, George McKelvey, Lisa Antinucci and Jim Traficant just to name a few.

3Knightcap(699 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with @truth101 "I still vote for the best candidate - not the party". But I agree with Gary Brant and @gdog4766 on if you're an officer of a party that you should follow the direction of what the party tells you. Or resign as an officer, keep yourself registered as a democrat but vote independent like I do. Just think of the outrage if a Black Panther Party member was chasing away Obama voters away from the poll with a billy club. He'd be kicked out of the Black Panther Party. The best example of one taking advantage of the democratic party is Jay Williams the do nothing mayor of Youngstown. Now he is czar over the czars or whatever waste of taxpayers job he has with Obama. Lastly, I did vote for Pat Ungaro and thought he represented all what's best for Youngstown.

4Photoman(1004 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we would all just vote for the most qualified candidate and remove from our minds those who merely exude that Hollywood b.s. and the never ending cronyism? Oh well, just a dream. Now let's get back to reality and let the losers like we have historically elected send our great nation down the drain.

5Ianacek(909 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Has everyone read the article Gary refers to ? The endorsement was for a Judge's position , which is non partisan because Courts must never dispense justice to those coming before it according to party policy or affiliation . Also, the endorsement was made by Ms Aslan's union , not her personally. The union simply endorsed a sitting judge , which unions sometimes do .

The complainant against Ms Aslan was the other candidate , Mark Hanni , himself a Democrat member who has organized against Democrat candidates in partisan elections ! His behavior in this instance makes one wonder what sort of Court he would run if elected .He would probably find his judgements against Republicans being frequently appealed on the grounds of the bias he has already displayed.
Mayor Sammarone & his 2 staff members should reconsider their partisan endorsement of Hanni , given the positions they hold . The Constitution requires a clear separation of powers between the Executive ( Mayor ) & Judicial ( Judge ) branches of government .

6gdog4766(1495 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I won't backpedal on what I said above, I still mean it. But Hanni is one of the biggest copperheads in the area. He has openly backed,republican candidates in the past. And will in the future like his siblings. He and his siblings have no loyalty to only those they can get something from.

7newsmaker1(127 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

In all elections or appointments, Vote for the Best American.