Long, successful day for area hunters on beginning of Ohio deer-gun season

Published: Tue, November 27, 2012 @ 12:01 a.m.

Long, successful day for area hunters on beginning of Ohio deer-gun season

photo

James Govenor of Cortland shows his buck that he bagged Monday morning on the opening day of the deer-gun season in Ohio.

By Tom Williams

williams@vindy.com

CORTLAND

Although hunters now have the option of registering their kills online, one deer checking station employee thinks licensed agencies will continue to be busy.

“Quite a few guys told me they went to check their deer in [online] and saw what they had to do, so they decided to bring it here,” said Allen Byer who was working Monday afternoon at the deer checking station at Monty’s restaurant near Mosquito Lake.

“They’re telling me it was too much of a hassle,” Byler said. “And if you do it online, you do have to have a printer so you can print out your info.”

Busier shift than expected on he first day of whitetail deer-gun season?

“Definitely,” said Byler of Bristol who had spent the morning hunting.

Among those at the station were James Governor of Cortland who shot a 7-point buck after a six-and-a-half hour wait.

“It was probably about 6:30 when I got up into the [deerstand],” Governor said. “At 11, I saw two does but I don’t shoot does.”

At 1 p.m., he found his target.

“It was a nice day — I had a hard time keeping from dozing off,” Governor said of Monday’s sunshine and 40-degree temperature.

It was a better experience than last year’s opening day.

“I let two 6-points go, I was waiting for a bigger one,” Governor said.

He didn’t see any then and he suspects the deer population is down.

“I think the coyotes have eaten most of them,” Governor said. “I farm here in Mecca and the deer population I see being out in the fields all the time is probably down 50, 60 percent from three years ago.”

Governor estimates he’s been hunting for about 45 years.

“I started doing it with my dad and grandfather,” Governor said. “I’m still going — I just enjoy being in the woods more than [anything].”

After several years off, Rob Hornak of Warren has returned to hunting and has bagged a buck in consecutive years.

“I used to hunt but I fell out of it,” said Hornak who resumed hunting several years ago and landed an 8-point buck last year.

His wait on Monday wasn’t long.

“After about an hour-and-a-half, I saw a herd of does go across a swamp,” Hornak said of his experience in Lordstown. “A [6-point] buck came along and I dropped it.”

Hornak wasn’t as thrilled with the sunshine.

“I’d rather have snow on the ground, but I was still able to see them pretty well.” Hornak said. “They were loud coming through the woods, they were moving so it wasn’t a bad day.”

Not everyone was successful. Dave Kellar of Cortland was waiting at Monty’s while his brother, Jack, registered two does he shot in Geauga County. “He brought them down so we can take them over and get them butchered,” said Dave Kellar, who got up at 5:30 a.m. and saw no deer.

Is it similar to how children can’t sleep late on Christmas morning because of the excitement?

“The older I get, the less it gets exciting,” Kellar said with a laugh. “But I go out there with my son [Clint].”

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources estimates that 420,000 will be hunting deer this week and 80,000 deer will be tagged and checked. Gun season ends Sunday but there will be two extra days — Dec. 15-16.

“The good news is that as far as we know, nobody was hurt in Mahoning County,” said Tom Frank, Mahoning County Wildlife Officer.

Monday evening, Frank said he had not heard of any hunting accidents in Northeast Ohio.

Byler said his morning was less productive than his busy afternoon.

“Didn’t see anything worth shooting,” Byler said. “I shot [a deer] with a bow earlier. I’ve been waiting for a buck.”

Byler said the registration process gets simpler — once the hunter is registered in the system, they receive a customer ID number.

“It’s just like a Social Security number that will forever be his number,” Byler said. “When he comes in [again], I can just punch that number in and [his information] already will be [in the system].”

Comments

1whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Like me some Backstraps !!!! Happy Huntin' be safe....

2paulparks(235 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

All right - all you animal rights activists... Since there is is no requirement that a hunter eat his "kill," what's your ethical difference between killing a deer "for fun" and killing a dog "for fun?"

I guess there is no campaign for a Nitro's law for deer.

Once you start elevating one species of animal over another, you run the risk of elevating animals to the level or above human beings.

3grog8797(21 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Hunting deer in season is legal; hunting dogs is not. Dogs are domesticated animals with a unique relationship to people going back thousands of years. Most importantly, those disturbed individuals who severly abuse animals are very likely to also abuse people.

4paulparks(235 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

grog,

What is the "ethical" difference between hunting deer and hunting dogs? ...not the legal difference. Animals are animals, my friend.
Domesticated - baloney! How about pit bulls or dobermans?

My point is not to condemn hunting, it's to point out the societal irony in elevating some animals to near human standards - when they all lack the main thing that separates animals from humans, an immortal soul.

God intended that we use animals responsibly, which includes killing them in some instances.

It just seems funny to me that you can kill a deer "for fun" and get your picture in the paper - but kill a dog for fun and you're public enemy number one!

5FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

paulparks,

You sir (i use that term very loosely) are a jerk.Killing a dog for fun? Really? I have read some ignorance on this forum before, but that comment is by far the worst one I have ever seen.

6paulparks(235 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Former,

Equal rights for all animals... that's all I ask.
Kill a dog for fun. Kill a deer for fun. No ethical difference. One's a crime. The other makes you a hero.

What's the matter? Got a soft spot for dogs? Aren't deer cute enough for you?

My comments are designed to point out society's absurdity on animal rights, not to denigrate dog owners. My friend, a dog is just a dog, not a person.

7fudputer(46 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

P-Parks- what would all you hunters do if the sides were even-give a deer a gun-give him a site that can maginify 500 yds- oh and the people scent and blinds!!!.I imagine you would all mostly sit home and watch -Love of Life-as for the dogs-I doubt very many family members would lay at your feet and listen to all your Bull@hit-Happy Hunting-and yes I dont hunt....

8VindyPost(436 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

paulparks,

what ?... kill dogs for fun...? WHAT?
CRUEL. Illegal.
wrong, wrong, wrong...Dogs "assist" humans in hunting. Dogs are domesticated. Deer are wild game.
Dogs such as: spaniels, terriers, hounds, retrievers, pointers, setters, etc ASSIST in squirrel, fox, rabbit, duck, coon, and DEER hunting ! Dogs are specifically trained for these skills and tasks.

I hope you don't own a gun or bow since you contemplate/justify killing dogs for fun.
Your comment ...Twisted.

9UsuallyBlunt(105 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

My wife shot, (and killed) 2 deer yesterday! First a doe and 3 hours later, a spike buck that was limping. I guarantee our kids will be eating good this winter. WE will not be looking for any type of GUBMENT assistance to feed our family!

10charms(228 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Vindy,

You have missed Paul's point. What he is saying is that society has decided to elevate dogs to an extremely high status. Ethically speaking, there is no intrinsic difference between the life of a dog or the life of a deer... and if society can sanction the killing of deer "for the fun of it," it could just as easily sanction the killing of dogs "for the fun of it."

Killing a human v. killing an animal is intrinsically different. Dogs are no better than deer, cattle, sheep or chickens - all of which we kill with our culture's blessing.

Our culture is out of whack when it sanctions the snuffing out of a human life in abortion, in part, because of the artificial elevation of some animals over people.

My guess is - many members of PETA are pro-abortion - that is a perversion of values.

11AnotherAverageCitizen(1175 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I do not know anybody who hunts deer and leaves it lay. There may be no LAW against it, but all hunters I know will drag the deer out, and have it processed.

Next time there is an earthquake or tornado in the area, I will look to see if anybody uses a deer to look for your loved ones in the rubble. Or will they be using a K-9.

12GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Paul,
Put the computer away. You're writing the most nonsensical.posts on this website. Go seek medical attention immediately. I fear for your sanity.