Dave Grohl to give keynote at SXSW
Warren native Dave Grohl may be taking a break from his band, but with the addition of an appearance at South By Southwest next spring, 2013 is shaping up to be a busy year nonetheless.
The often eloquent Foo Fighters frontman has signed on to give the keynote speech at the 2013 South By Southwest Music Conference on March 14 in Austin, Texas.
He’s also working on his Sound City documentary and new Queens Of The Stone Age material with Josh Homme. Both are expected next year as well.
Grohl announced earlier this fall that his Grammy-winning Foo Fighters had no immediate plans to record or tour and that his immediate focus was Sound City, his documentary about the famed Los Angeles studio.
Colbert joins leaders at wax museum
Stephen Colbert is taking his place among the presidents at the Madame Tussauds wax museum in Washington and will be featured in a new media gallery.
Colbert visited the museum Friday to unveil a wax figure created to represent him. The museum says Colbert donated his own clothes to dress the figure in a suit, tie, cuff links and lapel pin. Colbert wore an identical outfit.
The new figure will be the centerpiece of a new media gallery with a replica of “The Colbert Report” set where guests can sit next to Colbert’s figure behind his fake news desk.
Designers from Madame Tussauds went to Colbert’s New York studio in June to take more than 250 measurements and photographs of the Comedy Central star to create the wax figure.
Jason Mraz to make historic appearance
Jason Mraz will make history next month when he performs in Myanmar to raise awareness about human trafficking.
Mraz will headline a free outdoor concert Dec. 16 at People’s Square in Yangon, at the base of Shwedagon Pagoda.
The Grammy-winning singer-songwriter is the first international artist to perform an open-air concert in the country since the end of military rule last year. And he is believed to be just the second Western act to per- form in the country in decades, joining Ozomatli’s U.S. State Department-sponsored appearance in 2009.
Judge grants Cyrus restraining order
A judge has granted Miley Cyrus a three-year civil restraining order against a man convicted of trespassing at her home in Los Angeles.
The stay-away order was granted Friday against Jason Luis Rivera by Superior Court Judge William D. Stewart.
The 40-year-old Rivera was convicted in October of trespassing at the singer’s home and sentenced to 18 months in jail.
He is scheduled to be released in May. Authorities said at the time of Rivera’s arrest in September that he was carrying scissors and ran into the wall of Cyrus’ home as if trying to break in.
Rivera did not respond to Cyrus’ petition.
The 20-year-old former star of “Hannah Montana” did not attend the hearing. Her attorney Bryan Sullivan declined comment.