Mahoning Valley Sept. 11 Memorial Gazebo, 1051 Raccoon Road.
The memorial’s gazebo is approximately 27 feet in diameter and the site has an engraved paver-brick sidewalk with several park benches. The Austintown Beautification Committee, who is responsible for the memorial, has acquired a 7” x 7” piece of the World Trade Center which has been encased in a granite stone in the shape of the World Trade Center Towers. The site also has dirt from the crash of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pa., as well as a pound of rocks from the Pentagon bombing in Washington, D.C.
Mahoning Valley Korean War Veteran’s Memorial, 4125 Mahoning Ave. at Wickliffe Circle.
Local VFW posts beautify and maintain this spot honoring veterans of Austintown as well as those of Mahoning, Trumbull and Columbiana counties. Memorials at the site honor “all of those who served,” soldiers who served specifically in Granada, Panama and Persian Gulf conflicts, and all women soldiers of the past, present, and future.The most current memorial was dedicated July 27, 2003, honoring veterans killed in action during the Korean War, showing 118 names etched on granite stones as a “Path of Honor.” There is also a bronze plaque honoring Marine John D. Kelly, a Youngstown native posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his service in Korea.
Tabernacle Evangelical Presbyterian Church Plaque, 2432 South Raccoon Road.
A plaque located in the church’s airlock room honors members of their congregation who served in World War II. The memorial lists 66 names, with two women listed and two others with stars indicating that they were killed in action. The plaque proclaims “Proudly we pay tribute to the members of our church who answered the call of our nation.”
Boardman Park Veteran’s Memorial, 375 Boardman-Poland Road.
This site to the east of Boardman Park’s Maag Outdoor Theater was dedicated on Memorial Day 2003. The large granite monument honors all of those who served in any branch the Armed Forces and celebrates their bravery, loyalty, and character. There is a bronze eagle on a granite pedestal and three flagpoles positioned behind the monument. The memorial is connected to the theatre by a brick walkway with inscriptions of the names of local soldiers.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, 119 Stadium Drive.
Two bronze plaques in Founder’s Chapel list the names of all parishioners from Westminster Presbyterian Church who served in the World Wars. The site lists the names of 74 servicemen and 2 deaths of those who served in WWI and 185 servicemen and 7 deaths of those who served in WWII.
Bristolville Township Park Civil War Memorial, state Routes 45 and 88.
This site features a sculpture carved with crossed swords, a cannon and rifles, and is topped with a swagged funerary urn. The monument was built in 1863, while the Civil War was still being waged, and has the honor of being the oldest monument in Ohio. It honors thirteen “defenders of the Union from Bristol, Ohio.”
Campbell Memorial High School, 280 Sixth St.
Campbell Memorial earned its name in 1919 when the construction of the original school honored all World War I veterans from the city of Campbell; a plaque at the school’s main entrance lists the names of all Campbell soldiers who died in the conflict. After WWII, a monument was erected on school grounds to honor veterans, but by 1986, it was in need of repair. A committee of Campbell citizens worked to update the site, which now displays black granite slabs that honor servicemen of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. A quote inscribed on a concrete backdrop which says “to those who died fighting for freedom” was chosen from submissions from all of the schools in the district. The updated monument was dedicated Nov. 11, 1987.
Dean Hill Cemetery and Disciple Church Historical Marker, N. Palmyra Road east of S. Turner Road.
Evangelist Walter Scott built a church at this site in 1830, and a burial ground was established in about 1837. Although the church did not survive, the cemetery that remains is the home of many veterans from all the wars of the United States. Benjamin Dean of the 105th Ohio Infantry Regiment, a soldier who died from wounds suffered in the Civil War 1863 Battle of Murfreesboro in Tennessee, is buried at Dean Hill.
War Vet Museum and Memorial, 23 E. Main St.
The Canfield War Vet Museum was chartered in 1988 by American Legion Post 177 and their Ladies Auxiliary to collect and preserve items and history from all American wars and conflicts. The building that houses the museum was built in 1809 by Comfort S. Mygatt, a Revolutionary War veteran, and later became the home of Colonel James Madison Nash, a Civil War officer. The museum consists of seventeen rooms housing over 36,000 donated items. The Wall of Honor memorializes veterans; in particular, the Revolutionary War veterans interred in Canfield cemeteries and the 18 Canfield men who lost their lives in World War II.
Elisha Whittlesey Historical Marker, 70 N. Broad St.
An Ohio historical marker was erected in July 2011 to honor Elisha Whittlesey, a Connecticut native who moved to Canfield in 1806. In his new home, he practiced law, taught school, and served as prosecuting attorney for Mahoning County. In the War of 1812, he served as military and private secretary to Gen. William Henry Harrison and as brigade major for the Army of the Northwest. He served representative in the Ohio congress, United States congress, and as a presidential cabinet member, and after his death on Jan. 7, 1863, he was interred in the Canfield Village Cemetery.
Deerfield American Wars Memorial, state Route 224 and Deerfield-Windham Road.
Three memorials in Deerfield collectively honor the men who fought in World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, those who gave their lives in those wars, and a Civil War memorial. The a white marble Civil War monument, erected in 1870, has inscribed tablets at its base that lists the names of Deerfield servicemen who died in battle, sharing the age, battle, and date of their death. A stone memorial honors James S. Walker Jr. and Paul R. Kirkbride, Deerfield citizens who gave their lives during the Korean War, and was erected in 1955. A three-sided memorial lists the names of those who served in each American war of the 20th century and was dedicated in 1984.
Zion Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard Square Historical Marker, state Route 46, south of Sawmill Run Drive.
A historical marker points to the spot where Pennsylvania Dutch settlers established the Zion Lutheran and Reformed Church in 1810. Although the church did not survive, a cemetery remained, and it is now known as the Old North Cemetery. Among the stone markers, some written in German, are veterans of the American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, and other wars.
Fowler Town Square, state Route 305 at Route 193.
A veterans memorial displays a cannon used during WWII surrounded by crosses with names representing every war related fatality from Fowler since the War of 1812. The site was dedicated in 1962.
Parkwood War Memorial, 443 Trumbull Ave.
A simple marker, erected in 1963, built to honor the men and women who served in the military from the Girard community.
War Memorial at City Hall, 100 W Main St.
A marble shaft monument lists the names of Girard and Liberty Township citizens who died in World Wars I and II. It was built at Girard’s City Hall and dedicated Nov. 11, 1949. Corps of veterans and veterans organizations were on hand during the event to honor soldiers lost in the conflict and the sailors who gave their lives. The monument was updated years later to also include the names of Korea and Vietnam soldiers who died during their service.
Liberty-Girard Memorial Park and Monument, Park Drive and Mosier Road.
Liberty Park was built in 1926 along Little Squaw Creek as a memorial to soldiers from Girard who served in World War I. The Red Cross Women of Girard raised funds for a 15 foot high memorial shaft to be placed at the northeastern side of the park and dedicated the site on May 24, 1930. The memorial was built with leftover support funds collected by the community during WWI. The monument was erected by H. R. Lewis, a marble worker from the Churchill area of Girard.
Veterans of All Wars Square, Main St. and Kinsman-Nickerson Road.
A granite monument topped with a sphere and eagle with wings outstretched honors veterans of all wars and was erected by the citizens of Kinsman. The statue is surrounded by engraved bricks with names of local soldiers and military posts, as well as two benches and a US flag.
St. Patrick Church Soldier Honor Roll, 167 Main St.
A plaque in the St. Patrick Church vestibule was dedicated in the midst of World War II in 1941 with the names of 143 soldiers who were members of the Leetonia church. The names represent soldiers in the communities of Leetonia, Washingtonville and Columbiana. By the close of the war in 1945, the number of names reached 188, with stars denoting the 11 men who never returned. The Knights of Columbus Council 1569 and other individuals spearheaded a much-needed refurbishment of the memorial, and the improved plaque was unveiled April 12, 2008.
City Hall War Memorial, 140 East Liberty St.
This site was dedicated in 1999, in a joint effort by the American Legion Post 247 and the city of Lowellville. The monument honors Lowellville residents who died in the American wars of the 20th century. Along Liberty Street, there are also a row of trees planted in memory of Lowellville’s 17 fallen soldiers; plaques at the base of each tree show the names of the servicemen who gave their lives in battles of WWII and Vietnam.
Civil War Memorial, state Route 534 at Route 87.
This Civil War monument featuring an eagle on sphere atop a tall shaft was dedicated in 1867, in an event that nearly 2,000 area residents attended. The monument was sculpted by Walter Supple and Howard Brigden. A self-taught sculptor and native of Mesopotamia, Brigden carved the eagle with spread wings that tops the memorial.
Civil War Monument, W. Park Ave. and N. Arlington St.
This site on the grounds of the McKinley Memorial Library features a granite monument surmounted by an eagle, and was built to honor fallen soldiers of the Civil War as well as Major-General James “Birdseye” McPherson, the highest ranking soldier from Ohio to be killed during the conflict. On each side of the main shaft of the monument, the battles of Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Look Out Mountain and Shiloh are listed. The site was dedicated on October 21, 1882, and the ceremony featured a speech by William McKinley, a veteran and of the Civil War and a future American president who was born in Niles.
WWI Niles Cemetery Memorial, state Route 46 and Niles-Vienna Road.
At the entrance to Niles Union Cemetery, a marble marker commemorates veterans of World War I. The monument is adorned with olive branches and the seal of the American Legion. William McKinley Post No. 106 dedicated the monument Nov. 11, 1929. Inscriptions on the memorial celebrate the “patriotism of comrades who died so that democracy might survive,” and displays an excerpt from the WWI poem “In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae.
Veteran’s Memorial Bridge, East Federal St. at Dragon Drive.
A small bridge over a Mahoning River creek honors veterans of all wars with a sign displaying a waving American flag and saluting soldiers. The site was dedicated by military posts from the area including American Legion Post 106, VFW Post 2074, Army-Navy 244 and 252, as well as AmVets 101 and 106. The Niles McKinley High School National Honor Society keeps the area litter-free. A pole displaying an American and POW-MIA flag is stationed at the west side of the bridge.
Veteran’s Memorial Park, South Ave. and state Route 165.
A monument across from the Beaver Township Administration Building honors all of the Beaver Township soldiers who served in United States conflicts. The site, dedicated in 1968 by the Beaver Township Ruritan Club, includes a brick wall adorned with a plaque that honors servicemen; The wall also displays the flags of all branches of military service. A stone podium at the site is used during Memorial Day celebrations, as well as a gazebo and a flag pole flying the American flag.
Jackson Township Veteran Memorial, 1103 North Salem-Warren Road.
This site at the southwest corner of the North Jackson cemetery was dedicated on Nov. 11, 2006. The monument features stone obelisks that each honor a different conflict, with sites for Operation Iraqi Freedom, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, and the Civil War. The monument continues with a walkway featuring bricks inscribed with the name of local veterans. A half-circle wall displays plaques from all of the branches of United States military service and an American flag is on display.
Polish War Veterans’ Memorial, S. Main St. and Route 224.
The statue displayed at Peterson Park shows two Polish Revolutionary War heroes, Casimir Pułaski and Tadeusz Kościuszko, sculpted by Poland, Ohio native Tom Antonishak in 1970. The piece was originally placed at a site on South Ave. in Youngstown, home of a chapter of the Polish Army War Veterans of America, but was moved to the Poland in 2011 as the former site deteriorated. The park honors Polish veterans of World Wars I and II, and features a marble obelisk that reads “Honor and respect to soldiers, Polish heroes and heroines killed for honor and freedom on different fronts during the First and Second Great Wars.”
Civil War Soldier Monument, 110 Riverside Drive.
A statue erected at Riverside Cemetery in 1887 honors Poland veterans killed in action during the Civil War with a sculpture of life-size soldier grieving over the grave markers of his fallen comrades. The engraving on the monument reads “Poland honors her sons who died in the war for the Union, 1861-5.” Future president William McKinley, who spent his childhood and part of his adulthood in Poland, attended the dedication ceremonies. He gave a dedication address and read 39 names of his boyhood comrades from Poland who died in many famous battles of the Civil War.
Judge Turhand Kirtland Historical Marker, 2 Poland Manor.
The Ohio Historical Marker at Poland Presbyterian Church honors one of the first residents of Poland, Judge Turhand Kirtland. Kirtland was a Revolutionary War veteran. The marker reads, “Born at Wallingford, Connecticut. Served during the Revolutionary War. Proprietor, Agent, and Surveyor of the Connecticut Land Company. Appointed Judge of Trumbull County by Territorial Governor Arthur St. Clair, 1800. State Senator, Trumbull County, 1815-1816. Poland Justice of the Peace, twenty years. Moderator of St. James Episcopal Church, Boardman, 1809. First Worshipful Master of Erie Lodge No. 47, Warren, 1803, oldest lodge in the Connecticut Western Reserve and one of six lodges to form the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio, 1809.”
PFC James H. Spencer Memorial Bridge, state Routes 224 and 616 at Riverside Drive.
Poland officials dedicated a township bridge as the Pfc. James H. Spencer USMC Memorial Bridge in 2010. Spencer was a 1966 Poland Seminary High School graduate who enlisted in the Marines and was killed in action July 14, 1967, at age 20. Along with this honor in his hometown, Spencer’s name is listed on the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C.
Sgt Howard Bruce Carpenter and PFC Edward Andrew Skip Horn Jr. Memorial Bridge, state Route 170, southeast of Cortlandt St.
Poland resident and veteran Gene McCullough proposed in June 2012 to rename a bridge in front of the Poland library to honor soldiers Sgt. Carpenter and Pfc. Horn, both of Poland, who were killed in Vietnam. Carpenter died in March 1967, while serving in Laos for the Army’s special forces and was awarded the Silver Star posthumously. Horn, a Marine, died in May 1969, and was posthumously awarded a Bronze Star with a valor for providing covering fire that enabled 15 of his platoon members to return to their company safely.
Poland American Legion Post #15, 35 Cortland St.
The stone and wood structure of Poland’s American Legion Post was dedicated in 1936 and built as a memorial to the WWI veterans of Poland by the federal government’s Works Progress Administration (WPA). At the entrance to Post #15 is a Four Chaplains Memorial, honoring four religious leaders who gave their lives in the sinking of the S.S. Dorchester on Feb. 3, 1943. After the Dorcester was torpedoed by a German submarine, the chaplains gave their life jackets after supply ran out, and soon after, the men went down with the ship. The memorial is used as a reminder to the Poland community of the sacrifices of servicemen.
Edwin Coppock Memorial Obelisk, 1015 N. Lincoln Ave.
Edwin Coppock participated in John Brown’s raid on Harpers Ferry, Va. After being hanged for treason for his participation, Coppock was buried in Hope Cemetery in Salem. His cemetery marker, an obelisk of blackened sandstone, was put in place on May 20, 1876. The inscription reads, “A martyr to the cause of liberty, born in Butler Township near Salem, Ohio, June 30 1835. Was one of John Brown’s company in his attempt to liberate the slaves at Harpers Ferry, Va., October 1859. Was executed at Charleston, Va., December 16, 1859.”
Hope Cemetery War Memorials, 1015 N. Lincoln Ave.
A group of 10 memorials at the entrance of Hope Cemetery collectively celebrate soldiers of all American wars and conflicts. Farthest back at the site are a soldier at rest statue honoring the soldiers of Salem, with Civil War cannons at its left and right. One cannon features a plaque that shares, “The first Memorial Day services took place in Hope Cemetery May 30, 1868.” Three stone tablets in front of the Civil War monuments honor soldiers of all wars, and were dedicated on June 14, 2008. The center stone indicates that it honors servicemen of all United State conflicts; the tablets to its left and right list the number of service members and battle deaths of the American Revolution, War of 1812, Indian Wars, Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Persian Gulf. A flat tablet, listing the names Salem soldiers of these conflicts, is surrounded by four benches with inscriptions of the names of local veterans and other community sponsors.
The Color Bearer Monument, 1399 Franklin Ave.
A bronze and copper sculpture on a granite base in Grandview Cemetery honors Civil War soldiers with a depiction of a color bearer, or the soldier who would carry a regiment’s colors into battle. The soldier on the Grandview monument holds a flag in his left hand and a sword in his right. The piece was sculpted in 1901 by W.H. Mullins Company of Salem and dedicated in the cemetery soon after.
The Doughboy Monument, 1399 Franklin Ave.
This Grandview Cemetery monument to the soldiers of Salem who lost their lives in World War I was unveiled on Nov. 11, 1927. The bronze figure on a granite base features a soldier with a grenade in his right hand and a rifle in his left. An inscription on the monument reads, “In honor of the men and women from Salem, Ohio, who served their country in the World War, and in the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. Let those who come after see that they shall not be forgotten.”
Salem Memorial Building, 785 E. State St.
William Harold Mullins, an important early benefactor in Salem, donated $100,000 in 1924 to construct Salem’s War Memorial Building in memory of World War I servicemen. Mullins planned for the site to be used as a community center and recreational building for the city.
Chamber of Commerce Township Memorial, 713 E. State St.
This wide stone tablet at the entrance of the Chamber of Commerce honors veterans of the Salem community in many of the wars of the 20th century. The top portion of monument includes a centered eagle with wings outstretched, surrounded by representations of all branches of military service. Below, the memorial is inscribed, “In honor of the men and women of this community who served our country in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, preserving freedom and our way of life.” The memorial was erected in 1968 by the citizens of Salem.
Soldier at Parade Rest Monument, 2482 state Route 534.
Placed in 1910, the Civil War monument on the grounds of Southington Local Schools was built in its spot for the youth of township to be reminded of the sacrifices of veterans. The site features a granite soldier at rest atop a column, adorned with brass plaques that contain quotes and the names of 70 Southington natives that served in the Civil War, War of 1812 and Revolutionary War. The monument is one of only two in Ohio to mention the abolition of slavery in their inscriptions. It reads, in part, that the boys of Southington “served in the war for the preservation of our national union and the abolition of human slavery.”
The Peacekeepers Memorial, Poland Ave. at Hamilton Blvd. and Fifth St.
This memorial honors a Navy sailor and 13 Marines from Ohio who were killed in the Oct. 23, 1983 bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. The site overlooking Lake Hamilton was dedicated on Oct. 22, 1989. Area Marines killed in the attack and honored on the monument are Lance Cpl. Edward A. Johnston of Struthers, Lance Cpl. Stanley Sliwinski of Niles, and Sgt. James E. McDonough of New Castle, Pa.
Struthers High School Veteran’s Memorial, Morrison St. and Euclid Ave.
This site on the grounds of Struthers High School began as a stone dedicated in 1952 to honor those who fought in World War II. Struthers residents spearheaded an expansion campaign in 2006, and the memorial gained six stone tablets with the official seal of each branch of American military service. American, Ohio, and POW-MIA flags are flown at the site. The final refurbished monument is meant to honor all veterans who served in any American war or conflict and was officially unveiled on Oct. 2, 2006.
Korean Veterans Memorial Bridge, Broad St. and state Route 616.
A flag and plaque are displayed at the North end of this bridge honoring all veterans of the Korean War. The bridge was dedicated Oct. 6, 2000, with local veterans organizations, veterans from the conflict, and the mayor of Struthers on hand to celebrate.
Vienna Soldiers and Sailors Monument, state Route 193 and Warren-Sharon Road.
The monument on Vienna’s township green was dedicated on September 4, 1889, and features an obelisk surmounted by an eagle. The design and construction of the monument was completed locally in Howland and Cortland, respectively. The monument reads “Vienna Honors Her Dead Heroes” and features inscriptions of the names of Vienna soldiers who had died during the Civil War and in the years before 1889.
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, 860 Niles S.E.
An upright granite monument in Oakwood Cemetery honors “the unknown dead” of all American wars and conflicts. Medallions at the site honor the Grand Army of the Republic and the Women’s Relief Corps #58. The monument was erected by the Bell-Hammon post in 1920. The site is often a stop in the Memorial Day parade of Warren and is honored in the celebration each year.
Trumbull County Veteran’s Memorial, W. Market St. and Mahoning Ave.
This park built on the east bank of the Mahoning River commemorates the sacrifices of Trumbull County citizens in military service. The site began as the home of Statue of the Three Soldiers, honoring Civil War veterans in the great battles of the conflict, and was dedicated July 4, 1890. The WWI “Doughboy” monument was originally dedicated on Nov. 11, 1941 in a separate location, and was moved and rededicated on Nov. 11, 2008, along with a WWII sculpture by Robert Eccelston, when the site was re-dubbed a Veteran’s Memorial for the county. The site also features two stone slabs that honor those who gave their lives in the Korean and Vietnam conflicts.
Trumbull Civil War Training Site Camp Hutchins, 860 Elm Road NE.
This site on the grounds of present-day Warren G. Harding High School was used in the fall of 1861 as a training site for the Sixth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry Regiment. The camp’s name honors John Hutchins, a Warren attorney, who was an abolitionist and Underground Railroad agent. The regiment trained there played an important role in the surrender of Gen. Robert E. Lee. A historical marker near an oak tree at the school’s entrance was dedicated on Oct. 8, 2012.
Warren G. Harding High School Veteran Memorial Wall, 860 Elm Road NE.
A memorial wall organized by the Warren Rotary Club is displayed near the main entrance to Harding High School’s media center. Michael Bollas, a Rotary member and Vietnam veteran, spearheaded the project and researched Warren high school graduates and attendees who died during their service to include in the memorial. The final project includes names of those who served in the American Revolution through the Vietnam War.
Surrender of Gen. John Morgan Monument, state Route 518, west of twsp. Hwy. 793, West Township.
Erected in 1909 and dedicated in 1910, a large stone adorned with a plaque marks the spot where Confederate General John H. Morgan surrendered to Major George W. Rue on July 26, 1863. Hoping to divert Union troops and resources during the Confederate campaigns in Vicksburg and Gettysburg, Morgan and a small group of his men moved through Indiana, Kentucky, and southern Ohio before they pushed northward near Lisbon, Ohio. The battle that ensued, where Morgan lost 364 men, marked the farthest point north any Confederate troops reached during the Civil War.
Mahoning County Courthouse, 120 Market St.
The entranceway to the courthouse holds 10 tributes to more than 100 soldiers who have died in six military conflicts and the attacks of September 11. Every branch of the U.S. military is represented by plaques, photos and inscriptions. One plaque honors the four men from Mahoning County who have received the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Smoky Hollow Memorial, Rayen Ave. and Walnut St.
This site honors lists 12 men from the Smoky Hollow neighborhood of Youngstown who gave their lives in World War II and the Korean War. An inscription on the monument reads that it was sponsored by the Golden Eagles Club in 1957. In 2003, the site received maintenance and expansion with a preservation project by Youngstown CityScape.
Oscar Boggess Historical Marker, Edwards St. and Boggess St.
A historical marker indicates the former homestead of Youngstown resident and Civil War veteran Oscar D. Boggess. Born a slave in Virginia in 1832, he was freed 11 years later, and in 1864, he enlisted in the 43rd United States Colored Troops. After becoming a decorated veteran, he moved to Youngstown and offered growth for the city as a founding member of the Tod Post of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Oak Hill Avenue African Methodist Episcopal Church—its first African American congregation—in 1870. Boggess died in 1907 and was buried in Oak Hill Cemetery with full military honors. The marker was the first dedicated to an African American in Mahoning County, and was unveiled on Sept. 15, 2006.
Mahoning County Vietnam War Memorial, Wick Ave. and West Federal St.
This tall, polished stone tablet honors the Vietnam servicemen of Mahoning County. The side of the monument facing north is inscribed with outline of the country of Vietnam, the branches of American military service, and a dedication and quote honoring the veterans and those missing in action from the Vietnam conflict. The southern-facing side of the monument shows the names of Mahoning County soldiers killed in action and missing in action. The site is cared for by Youngstown CityScape.
The Man on the Monument, Federal Plaza and W. Federal St.
This site honors the memory of Youngstown soldiers who gave their lives in the Civil War. A large marble shaft is adorned with a soldier looking north up Wick Avenue, and at its base, the monument’s four sides show the names of the 108 Youngstown residents who died in battle or from disease during the conflict. The monument was dedicated July 4, 1870, with speeches by then-Governor Rutherford B. Hayes and congressman James Garfield, both of whom later became United States Presidents.
Catholic War Veterans Monument, 609 Steel St.
A pointed arch guards the entrance of the Italian-American war veterans’ memorial in Brier Hill. Donated by the Modarelli family and dedicated in 1985, the monument honors the IAWV’s 13 members who have died in World War II and the Korean War.
Beeghly Center Veteran’s Plaza, One University Plaza.
On September 15, 1996, YSU dedicated Veterans’ Plaza directly in front of Beeghly Center. The $500,000 community project, which was funded in-part through private donations, includes a wall is decorated with plaques to honor all United States veterans. Spring Street, the road leading up to Beeghly Center, was updated with a scenic entrance and renamed Armed Forces Boulevard in 2009.
First Presbyterian Church Servicemen Plaques, 201 Wick Ave.
Two plaques at the rear entrance of the Youngstown church honor 96 World War I soldiers and 205 World War II soldiers. The servicemen listed were all members of the congregation of First Presbyterian Church.
Please contact the Vindicator at 330-747-1471x1254 with any information on Veterans monuments in your area that were not included on our list. In particular, any information on the following sites would be appreciated: Southside Park, Youngstown; Mahoning County Veterans Memorial at the Canfield Fairgrounds; Veterans Memorial Bridge, at state Route 18 and Bailey Road, Lordstown; Lordstown Veterans Memorial; and the Soldier at Parade Rest monument, at the Wallace-Meyers Mausoleum in Hope Cemetery, Salem.