facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

NEWSMAKERS



Published: Tue, November 13, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

NEWSMAKERS

Judge reduces amount in Wynn slander suit

LOS ANGELES

A judge has cut by more than half the $40 million jury verdict that casino mogul Steve Wynn was recently awarded against “Girls Gone Wild” founder Joe Francis.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Joanne O’Donnell issued the ruling Friday cutting the award by $21 million. Her ruling eliminates $20 million in punitive damages the jury awarded Wynn and $1 million they said he deserved because of comments Francis made on “Good Morning America.”

Francis’ lawyers argued O’Donnell erred when she allowed jurors to consider the “Good Morning America” comments since they were not part of the initial case and the panel wasn’t shown the interview at trials.

Francis vowed to appeal the remainder of the verdict.

The trial, which ended in September, centered on Francis’ claims that he was told Wynn had threatened to hit him in the head with a shovel and have him buried in the desert. Wynn denied making the threats and said they damaged his reputation and put his casino license at risk.

Francis testified he heard about the claims from Grammy-winner Quincy Jones, who testified that no such statements were made.

Richie Sambora gets personal on album

NEW YORK

On his new solo record, Richie Sambora has a lot to say about his past. But after two vigorous months of promoting it, the Bon Jovi guitarist has found himself on doctor-ordered vocal rest.

Last week, the 53-year old rocker canceled a string of shows in the northeast due to laryngitis. Doctors suggested he clam up for a little while before resuming his tour, his website says.

True to its title, “Aftermath of Lowdown” covers a lot of personal ground for the rocker, including his much-publicized divorce from Heather Locklear, his ongoing battle with alcohol and substance abuse, and the virtues of being a parent.

Hathaway: ‘Les Mis’ made her feel deprived

NEW YORK

Anne Hathaway credits her new husband Adam Schulman for helping her get through the grueling filming of the screen adaptation of “Les Miserables.”

In “Les Mis,” the 30-year-old actress plays Fantine, a struggling, sickly mother forced into prostitution in 1800s Paris.

Hathaway lost 25 pounds and cut her hair for the role. She tells the December issue of Vogue, the part left her in a “state of deprivation, physical and emotional.”

She felt easily overwhelmed and says Shulman was understanding and supportive.

The couple wed in September in Big Sur, Calif. Hathaway wore a custom gown by Valentino whom she collaborated with on the design. Working with the designer is a memory she says she will “treasure forever.”

The December issue of Vogue hits stores Nov. 20.

Vindicator wire reports


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport