facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up

Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church | Background



Published: Sat, November 10, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church, 1210 Himrod Ave., Youngstown, is celebrating its 90th year with the theme “Celebrating Legacy, Pursuing Destiny.” In April, the church conducted a special service. In September, the church had a banquet at Mahoning Country Club. This month, the EMBC Mass Choir and Friends made a live recording, “Kingdom Agenda.” DVDs are $10 and available now and pre-ordered CDs are $10 and will be available after Dec. 1. Call the church at 330-746-7190. Web site is www.embcytown.org.

The beginning: The church was organized April 22, 1922, on Cherry Street, by the Rev. C. W. Lee. Among charter members were Frank Bennett, Denia Bennett, Ernest Jones, Annie Jones, Norah Duff, Bettie Duff, William Pride, Beaulah Pride, Manless Mixon, Adeline Mixon, Virginia Woody, Rosa Lucas, Willie Henderson, Fannie Lee, Willie Williams, Dink Fault, Dennis McDonald and Linsey Johnson, Earnest B. Jones was the only ordained deacon. Its first auxiliary was the Mission with Addie Bennett as president.

Donation: In 1931, Caroline Hazeltine donated property located at 1846 Lawrence St., to the church. The Rev. W. L. Ingram was the pastor.

Division: In early 1954, the church became divided. Some members left to organize Phillip Memorial Baptist Church.

Growth: In November 1954, the church called the Rev. Lonnie Simon as pastor. Under his leadership, membership increased. He served for five years.

Move: On Jan. 8, 1956, the church moved to 328 S. Forest St., Youngstown. On Sept. 1, 1957, a dedication was held and mortgage burned. In 1956, the Rev. Mr. Simon ordained Deacon Eddie Williams and ordained ministers including Pastors Joe Bankston and Elizabeth Powell. Also ordained were five deacons including Deacon Edward Bell, who continues to serve. In April of 1969, Elizabeth sold its property on Forest and moved to 1452 Wilson Ave., Youngstown.

New pastor: In July 1969, the church called the Rev. Henry Clinkscale Jr. as pastor; the church progressed spiritually and financially. In July 1970, Elizabeth Baptist bought Emanuel Baptist Church and parsonage at 7 and 11 South Ave., Youngstown, for $35,000. The church was rededicated and the cornerstone laid. Pastor Clinkscale licensed 11 ministers including Pastor J. Dwayne Heard, currently serving, and three women. He ordained five ministers ncluding the Revs. William Pride, Stonewall Wright and Rev. Willie Mitchell and Pastor Larry Parker. The membership voted Rev. Walter Walker as assistant pastor in 1994.

New building: A building fund was established in honor of James M. Tillman “So Build We the Wall” from Nehemiah 4:6. On July 18, 2003, 13 lots were acquired through the City of Youngstown’s Land Bank Program. Groundbreaking services were Sept. 21, 2003, for Phase 1, the sanctuary at 1210 Himrod Ave., Youngstown, and on July 11, 2004, the cornerstone was laid. The first service was Sept. 12, 2004. On July 18, 2004, a dedication was at the EB Family Life Center, 7 S. Garland Ave.,

Change of pastors: Pastor Henry Clinkscale Jr. retired effective March 14, 2008, after 38 years of service. He became pastor emeritus. On May 23, 2008, Pastor Heard was voted as pastor. His first sermon was June 1, 2008, and installation was Aug. 16, 2008.

Source: Church history


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport