Thanking our vets

Published: Fri, November 9, 2012 @ 12:01 a.m.

SEE ALSO: Take time for soldiers monuments tour

photo

Ralph Santos, a veteran who served four years in the Navy aboard the carrier JFK, reads a thank-you note from Victoria King, a second-grader at Stadium Drive Elementary School in Boardman. More than 100 veterans attended the event Thursday.

By Ashley Luthern

aluthern@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

As the grand strains of a patriotic march filled the Stadium Drive Elementary School auditorium, a Navy veteran posed a question to his granddaughter sitting on his knee.

“Do you know the name of this song?” asked Pete Klandela.

“No,” replied his granddaughter, Kayla Golden.

“It’s called ‘Stars and Stripes Forever,’” he said.

Kayla, a fourth-grade student, invited her grandfather to the school’s Thursday breakfast and assembly honoring veterans. Klandela served in the Navy from 1954 to 1961.

More than 130 veterans, most of whom are students’ relatives, came to the event, and local businesses donated food for the breakfast, said Jim Goske, Stadium principal.

“This is our second year doing this, and it’s been a great program,” Goske said. “... The veterans always express how great the program is, and a few tear up when the kids sing.”

During the assembly, students from all grades recited patriotic poems and sang songs, such as “My Country, ’Tis of Thee” and “Fifty Nifty United States.”

Stadium Drive kindergarten student Asher Renzenbrink invited his father, Joel Renzenbrink, who has served nine years in the Army National Guard.

“It made me happy,” Asher said when asked about having his dad at school Thursday.

Renzenbrink said he was surprised that so many veterans came to the event.

“I think this is really nice and it’s a good way for young children who don’t understand things of the world ­— to give them an appreciation of what soldiers do,” he said. “I hope the school keeps doing this.”

Through the program, students “get a sense of history and appreciation for what veterans have done,” Klandela said.

Kayla said she learned that “veterans sacrifice for us every day.”

“It’s nice to do stuff like this and thank [veterans] for what they’ve done for us,” she said.

Comments

1IslandMike(757 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Veteran's Day, a day we thank those who have served us.

Or, as the republicons say, a day we recognize part of the 47% who are dependent on government to live.

2evolutionent(1 comment)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Look island mike you knuckle dragging wanna be mob boss... You are nothing but a disrespectful disgrace to the American race.... Let me tell you when it comes to the military it's not about democrat or republican it's about the USA... Lets start form the beginning the constitution is color blind sooooo black, white, Chinese or green man from Pluto has the same liberties as any free man Legally in this country. So that being said your dirt ball comment about the 47% has no merit in this article and just as much goes to prove the republican point..that 47 % of america is uneducated job dodging welfare sucking waist of resources... At the end if the day if you want to make this a political party issue the Republican Party believes that equal rights to a equal contribution of all this country is the only way to guarantee future freedom and liberty of all where is democrats believe that supporting the poor and disenfranchised people with hard earned American dollars to guarantee support serves no purpose but to only further the national debt and further the financial burden of the American tax payer.... Also incase you haven't noticed IT's VETERANS DAY the one day of the year we as the people honor the fallen from the past present and future that voluntarily walk into a field of battle and gave the ultimate sacrifice for your freedoms and mine to get online and make total moronic comments that have no Merit about this article... That being said god bless the USA and thank you to all my brothers and sister soldiers before me and after me that have and will put there lives on the line to keep America free....

3youngstown615(98 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

As a Veteran, with grandchildren attending Stadium Drive school, I was invited to this event. It was really moving, with the video that was viewed , and the wonderful songs the children sang. Unlike the days after Viet Nam, Americans are finally showing the veterans the respect they deserve. I hate the way political leaders continually keep our Country at war, but the American soldiers all ways answer the call , without questions, and defend our freedoms. Thank You to the teachers, staff & children of Stadium Drive School for a wonderful tribute to our local Veterans!!

4redeye1(4576 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll bet Island Mike never serve in the military . He was probably a anti war activist. I also agree that he is a horse arse and a big one at that.

5FormerYtowner(96 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Island Mike, while I agree with you, I also agree this is not the article to post those comments on.

Evolution, you had me until "prove the republican point..that 47 % of america is uneducated job dodging welfare sucking waist of resources."

I hate to blow your bigot mind, but I am a Dem and yet none of those.

To our veterans past, present, and future...Thank you for giving me the freedom to be able to voice my opinions, and allowing me to enjoy the freedoms you all have and will fight for. God Bless you all.

6IslandMike(757 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

@MLC,

That's what I hope a person like you thinks of me, I take that as a compliment from someone like you.
evolvingman, or whatever name your hiding behind, did you say something, because I seem to not care what it is.

7JoeFromHubbard(1071 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

When I was in Vietnam it never occurred to me that so many people back "in the world" would be so angry about us or our mission.

It looks like some of that same kind of anger still exists.