Election doesn’t end debate on abortion, contraception

Published: Fri, November 9, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Associated Press

NEW YORK

Democrats and liberal advocacy groups have declared victory in what they called a Republican “war on women” and are celebrating the pivotal defeats of some GOP candidates who took rigid stands against abortion.

However, the issues in dispute — notably access to contraception and abortion — are far from settled, and social conservatives already are girding for new confrontations.

“We’re going back to the drawing board,” anti-abortion leader Marjorie Dannenfelser told fellow conservatives at a post-election gathering.

Dannensfelser said her organization, the Susan B. Anthony List, would seek to back candidates who can argue against abortion “with compassion and love.” In an interview, she said Republican nominee Mitt Romney was too defensive on abortion-related issues and mentioned Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Indiana Gov.-elect Mike Pence as potential presidential candidates who intrigued her.

For activists supporting family planning programs and access to abortion, the election produced a series of triumphs, starting with the re-election of President Barack Obama. Groups such as Planned Parenthood and the National Organization for Women campaigned vigorously for him, and he won about 55 percent of women’s votes.

The differences between Obama and Romney on some “war on women” issues were stark. Obama vowed to require insurance companies to cover birth control, preserve federal funding for Planned Parenthood, and protect access to abortion. Romney took opposing positions, and said he’d like to outlaw abortion except in cases of rape, incest and threat to the mother’s life.

According to exit polls conducted for The Associated Press and TV networks, 59 percent of voters said abortion should be legal either in all or most cases, while 36 percent said it should be illegal all or most of the time.

Comments

1streetsmartt(127 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

This just shows me that the majority of Americans have been duped.

2LtMacGowan(646 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Goes to show that this country is slowly shifting to the left and its time that the Liberals take charge and continue to lead this country in the right direction.

3paulparks(235 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

LtMac,

There are liberal points of view that go in the right direction, but today's liberal agenda is mostly pagan, humanistic, and atheistic. So for the most part, liberals are going in the wrong, i.e. immoral direction.

4LtMacGowan(646 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I am Atheist. I believe the government should be non religious. Just because I don't believe in god doesn't mean I am not a moral person. I'm thoroughly sick of that false assumption.

As to MrRight If when I die I go before your god I will say that I have lived my life as best I could, trying to do good for my fellow man, and following my own morality and if because I didn't constantly praise you, I'm not fit for Heaven, then Heaven is no place I want to be.

"The wall between church and state should be kept high and impregnable" - SCOTUS

5streetsmartt(127 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

LtMac,

1. I am praying for you.
2. Government has gone from being "non religious" to favoring atheists.
3. Atheists, like everyone, follow their own morals. The question is; "where do those morals come from?" An atheist's morals come from belief in the biggest lie ever perpetrated.
4. As to your response to MrRight, I am confused. How can you acknowledge his "God" if you are supposedly an atheist?
5. As far as praising God, we were created for that reason, and it is the best reason for existence.
6. The Supreme Court of the United States cannot by legal fiat rule God out of existence. The "wall between church and state" is a farce.

6jojuggie(1306 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Lt Mac, America's founders did not intend for there to be a seperation of God & State, as shown by the fact THAT ALL 50 STATES ACKNOWLEDGE GOD IN THEIR CONSTITUTION:

For example the 1st state in alphabetical order is Alabama. Their Preamble begins: We the people of the State of Alabama, invoking the favor & guidance of Almighty God, do ordain & establish the following Constitution........

And every one of our 50 states uses God in their Preamble. WHY?

7andersonathan(669 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I will stick to my morals on abortion and would like to see it outlawed. Rape and incest account for less than 2% Mothers health is a tough percentage due to the fact some doctors will sign off on it. So I will say 30-40 million abortions since it became legal and that is a 10 million give or take and to visualize it nuke Chicago and NYC call it legal or a right.

And the sick thing is that a "Christian" can support a party that says it is OK

8jeepers(127 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Time for republicans to do a 180 on abortion. They should not only allow for it to be covered under obama-care, they should reward every mother that feels she cannot raise a child in this great country. Forget the moral question-the women that seek this way out arent worried about that. Only us do-gooders worry about morality-only to be scorned by the left. So let them have their abortions-and given enough time, the number of left-leaning democrats will by nature decrease. Very simple-fewer unwanted babies/ premies born to addicted parents= fewer future democrats. Sorry if you can't handle the truth.