Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

Justice is disappearing in U.S.

Published: Sun, May 20, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Justice is disappearing in U.S.

President Obama has misera- bly failed 20,000+ Delphi salaried retirees, of which I am one. He presided over and promoted inequality and injustice when it came to the Delphi salaried retirees’ pensions. By doing nothing to restore “equality” to those pensions indicates that he just does not care about it at all. How shameful.

The PBGC, wielding its big policy stick, whacked the heck out of the Delphi salaried retirees’ pensions like they were some bloated pi ±ata doll, reducing them by as much as 30 percent to 70 percent. Contrary to popular belief, those pensions were well-funded and fully-earned. The President’s Auto Task Force, along with the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp., Treasury, and its secretary, Timothy Geithner (who also sits on the board of the PBGC), and other players, scripted how the Delphi Salaried Retiree’s Pension Plan would play out, or should I say, peter out. President Obama and his cronies deemed, (doomed), us as having little to no “commercial value” in the emergence of GM and Delphi from bankruptcy. He viewed us as used up, empty vessels set out for the trash man with the rest of the junk. How low and unjust.

“Justice” appears to be something that we can only hope to gain through the courts. If so, we are still there today as we have been from the beginning, asserting our rights to be made whole by whatever legal devices available to us. For some the definitions of “Equality” and “Justice” have been narrowed by the current administration. Have those two precepts become insignificant words? Perhaps the only places where those words really reside are in the dictionary or on “Forever” stamps.

Speaking of “stamps,” I felt the eerie sense of deja vu at the reports of the hastily-approaching closing of Youngstown’s Main Post Office and Sorting/Distribution Center. Postal officials are spreading the “shared sacrifice” mantra to their workers here. It’s just one more economic tsunami to rock the foundations of the lives of the great and special people of our beautiful Mahoning Valley. The Obama administration did it to the Delphi salaried retirees first, and that was just the beginning. The assault continues on with the postal workers, and now the salaried workforce of RG Steel in Warren has been told to expect a reduction in pay and benefits, (but) “only until business rebounds.”

Dennis Beck, Youngstown

Thinking about Memorial Day

Fifty nine years ago, in 1953, I was in my early twenties, my military obligation just completed. That two, three, or four year hitch seemed like an eternity back then, but since then it’s been kind of a blur. I remember: “Boy! Was I glad to get home to see Mom, Dad, sisters, brothers, my girlfriend, and friends from school. I couldn’t wait to talk to them. First things first, I had to get a job, and I wanted a new car.”

Did you see that girl? Wow, I want to meet her. Can you believe it? She said she would go out with me. I better marry her now, before someone else does. We need a place to live, and, guess what, the Stork is coming. Hot Dog! I’m a Daddy. Look at them grow. Twelfth grade, and they’re looking for a job.

Where has the time gone? A lot of water has gone under the bridge. My hair is gray and then, it was full. My back hurts. I used to do “that” in half the time it takes, now. One more year and I can retire. I remember when I worked ... well that was long ago ... not to mention all the hardships along the way.

Memorial Day is almost here, again. As I think of all the graves of young soldiers that gave the ultimate sacrifice for their beliefs, never to experience the things I have seen and done, I bow my head and say, “Thank you Lord for your gift of life to me. May their souls rest in peace. Amen”

This is probably the feeling of most every serviceman alive today.

We have a lot to be thankful for!

Paul Lawson, McDonald

Seniors could repay the kindness

I have an idea that I would like to tell you about. There have been so many articles about students having to “pay to play sports” (or I should say their parents).

On May 4 I attended a program put on by the students at Lakeview High School in Cortland. The students are in the National Honor Society of Lakeview (and believe me there were plenty of them).

Every year they put on a program at the school called a Senior Prom for senior citizens. The kids dress up and provide all the food and drinks, cake and a DJ who played all the music that we seniors liked when we were young.

Seven of my friends and I went together and had the best time of our lives, reliving our youth. The students all dressed up for the occasion and joined in the dances with the seniors. They were very respectful and helpful. This was a free program.

Here’s my idea; Jesus tells us to help each other in life. How about it if the seniors (me), had each senior citizen pay a $5 admission?

It would be enough money to pay for some kids who want to do sports. There were 300 there, so that would be $1,500.

Grace A. Leash, Girard

Time doesn’t change avarice

222“Law OKs one-stop financial shopping” (Vindicator Nov. 13, 1999). Twelve years, and the same problems. To quote from the second article, “[Law] knocks down Depression-era barriers and lets banks, investment firms, and insurance companies sell one another’s products.”

At the time the unquoted remarks were that the law will make sure that 21st century economy really works for our country. What hogwash that was then, and we are embroiled in the same shenanigans 12 years later, with the same consequences. It was pure greed that drove the country into the Great Depression, and it is pure greed that is perpetuating our current problems, and it is the greed that brought us to this point once again.

There is enough blame to go around. “Clueless” says that it is Washington that has put us in the dire straits that we now find ourselves. Affordable housing for everyone. Read the editorial pages of your local papers. The question posed in my letter of Nov. 14, 1999, was: “Can the hearts of men change?” And followed with “we can only pray that they have, or we are all in trouble”. It is not cluelessness that is a “crime.” It is in the hearts of men, who with devious means have found ways to circumvent the law. When there is no law, it makes the greedy more avaricious, and better able to prey on the unsuspecting.

Do we have the moral fortitude do what is needed, or have the politicians so ensconced themselves from the highest political offices to the local township trustees that we cannot remove them. Wake up, America, we are at a crossroads. This is a fight we can win. Go for it.

Leonard J. Sainato, Warren

What to look for in church

I found it interesting to read the article on the May 5 Religion page concerning seeking a home church. Years ago I could have written a similar column.

The writer critiqued the greeters, the music the preacher and the message (it made me feel good), as if someone attended a production at the Youngstown Playhouse, YSU or the Oakland.

Somewhere along the line I learned that our writer had it reversed. We are not the audience watching what God can do. We are the actors and God is the audience. Don’t think the word worship was mentioned, which is what it’s all about. Seek a church where you can worship.

James Crelin, Boardman

Comments

1classics(53 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

The Delphi Salaried Retirees have been wronged by President Obama and his Administration. Where are the answers to what happened to a well funded pension plan. These people deserve to know that. Why are the Officials in charge of making those decisions refusing to answer to an audit by the Special Inspector General of TARP? How can this be happening in American? Be very concerned that you can be next if you are not politically connected or heavily donating to a particular party. And the VP didn't even know what he was talking about. GEEZ

2300(553 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

More people looking for a government handout. Nothing more.

3Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

well funded pension plan.
It was all turned over to the PBGC
and is paying there pensions .

4Photoman(993 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

The larger the government, the more that is taken away from working people.
Big business, big government, big unions--they're all ready to destroy the lifestyles we have known and enjoyed.

5UticaShale(850 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

"How does it feel, how does it feel to be on your own, no direction known, like a complete unknown?"

When will you conservative democrats realize the liberals own you and their agenda is Marxism? Look around your town and see what your Marxist leaders have done to your once prosperous community? You are to blame too, you keep electing these entitled unqualified leaders. So now you see where all this is going and you get hurt by it.
And guess what Delphi people, now you got all the foodcard holders and entitled civil service voters going to vote these Marxist in over and over until everyone is on welfare.
You have one chance left, the silent majority property owners must unite and outvote the Marxist this November.

6classics(53 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

I too am ashamed of all the times I supported the Democratic Party. Had I known this is the directions they were going to morph into, I'd have never given my support nor would my family. The country is a mess and Republicans didn't do us any service either. Delphi Retirees, do everyone a favor and use your influence to help remove this Pres and his legions. And then hold the Rs feet to the fire.

7UticaShale(850 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

@Fair,
No,no,no, it ain't me babe.........

Sorry, did not mean at all that Delphi were Marxist. No, the entitled public leaders you have are, and they don't even know it. Also, I was saying you are up against the entitled welfare, civil service voting block here and they have been community organized. Free enteprise private sector are not the entitled. You guys were sold out by your Union I hear, sad......just to prop up GM.

8classics(53 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Utica, the salaried retirees didn't have a union. The sell out was by the so called protectors of the middle class Barrack Obama and his Treasury directed Auto Task Force and the 3 assigned officials on that task force will not explain how the pension fund was suddenly in such distress and who made the decision to dump it and then top up union pensions with tax payer funds. This has skunk written all over it. Follow the smell of money.

9NewportNewsRE(4 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you 100% UticaShale!

The so called leaders of Youngstown are drowning in the Marxist koolaide. Even though I had tens of thousands of dollars in open judgements against me because the city had to demolish many of my slum properties, they had the nerve to deny me payment for transporting Youngstown homes to my own property around Lake Milton! That D'Avignon just has no vision, they should have paid me 5 times the cost of demolition to put vacant houses onto trucks and drive them away! I love the smell of fracking in the morning!

10ytownredux(117 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Can someone tell me what 70% of a Delphi salaried pension is?? Def sounds unfair to lose it, but sounds more like just complaining if its a decent wage. These are white collar pencil pushers who sat in offices, not those on front lines, sweating and freezing for every dime they got. Just wondering??

11classics(53 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Ytownredux, the pencil pushers designed cars and the plants they are buiilt in. They purchased the materials and handled mutli millions dollar accts like Ford, Toyota, GM. They made payroll for asm plts, sold product and marketed products. 10-12 hrs days were the norm and weekends were spent traveling, no pay for that or overtime. Current pensions are similar to union pensions. Union now gets around $3200. At 70% cut that salary person gets less than $1000 with no healthcare after having spent at least 4 yrs and many thousands for a college education. So I take it u r ok with your tax dollars paying for the union oensions while the salaried should A. not expect the same treatment and B. not even need the same treatment since their pension was sufficiently funded but stollen by the gov who won't tell them why. I'm just askin.

12UticaShale(850 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

How have the local community organizers ACORN type helped you, they helped Obama all the way to the white house?

13palmer16121(115 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm kinda lost...didn't this happen BEFORE Obama took office? If so, then we have a major chronologically incorrect problem.

14cambridge(2965 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

F&E....I think your bitch is with romney, he's the one taking credit for the auto loans that saved the American Auto industry.

15anothermike(203 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

You are NOT lost, Palmer, this DID all start long before Obama resided in the White House. Many of Packard's salaried employees chose not to be union members, and when GM transferred everything to Delphi, these folks should have known it was now a different ballgame. They may feel "entitled", just like the union members, but they have/had no contract. If the funds aren't there, not much anyone can do....if the situation was (and may be someday) reversed, the "salaried' folks couldn't care less about the rank and file union members. Funny how so many "company men" now claim to be disgruntled Democrats....

16classics(53 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Anothermike, you are incorrect. This began and ended under Obama. All went down in 2009. Noone 'chose' not to be in a union. They tried. The contracts were no longer an issue either. They weren't voided because new GM had no obligation to them. Why are you so happy about folks having a sound pensions plan stolen from them:? And why wouldn't you want all people treated fairly when tax payer funds are used? Very sad that you use that tired old divisive arguement that salaried wouldn't care if this was reverse. Well, it's not reversed. Does Hourly care? Is this any excuse to not do the right thing. Think about what you are saying here.