Official: Canfield superintendent finalist ‘proved himself’

Published: Thu, May 10, 2012 @ 12:06 a.m.

Board OKs 3-year pact with Alex Geordan as new superintendent

photo

Geordan

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

CANFIELD

Alex Geordan is eager to begin his tenure as the Canfield School District’s new superintendent.

Geordan, 43, was hired Tuesday night after an hourlong public interview session and a four-hour-long executive- session interview with the school board.

Board President Adrianne Sturm said the board came out of executive session and approved Geordan’s hiring about 11 p.m. Tuesday.

She said the public forum gave the board a chance to see how Geordan interacted with teachers, students and community members, as well as how he fared answering questions in a public setting.

“He proved himself in the stakeholder interview, and the follow-up interview with the board, as the person to lead our district in a collaborative effort which includes students, parents, staff and community,” Sturm said.

The board approved a three-year contract that will begin Aug. 1. Geordan’s base salary will be $105,000 per year. He currently is the superintendent of the Pymatuning Valley School District, where his annual salary is $93,636.

The base salary for Dante Zambrini, who will retire July 31 after 36 years in the district, is $103,399 annually.

Sturm said the board’s decision to offer Geordan more money was based on his worth.

“It’s not unusual for that to occur. You pay what you need to pay to get the right, qualified candidate,” she said. “The board feels he’s worth the additional money.”

Geordan was hired as the Pymatuning Valley superintendent in 2008, but he has ties to the Mahoning Valley, beginning his career in 1994 as a teacher in the Warren City School District. He had administrative positions within the district from 1998 to 2001 before moving on to administrative positions in the LaBrae School District in Leavittsburg from 2001 to 2008. He also had several coaching jobs in the Warren and LaBrae school districts.

Geordan said during Tuesday’s public interview that as a Mahoning Valley native, Canfield is his dream job.

“I don’t think you can go anywhere in Northeast Ohio better than Canfield,” he said. “This is where I want to be. This is not a need move; it’s a want move.”

Geordan said he’s excited to take over at the helm of a district he holds in high regard.

“I look forward to an exciting opportunity working with an excellent board of education and staff in Canfield along with creating long-lasting relationships with an outstanding community,” he said in a news release Wednesday. “We have a great opportunity to do wonderful things for a tremendous Cardinal student body, but we must never forget that we must do it together as an entire Canfield community.”

Sturm said Geordan will work with Zambrini during a transitional period that will be laid out in detail in an upcoming meeting with the board and both men.

She said the district and community must recognize Zambrini’s accomplishments during his 12 years as superintendent and welcome Geordan as its new leader.

“Certainly [Zambrini] was one of many great leaders in this district. He has served his time here in Canfield very well,” she said. “You expect that somebody is not going to be here forever, and you look forward to a new era.”

Comments

1youngstown615(98 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Almost a $2000 automatic raise "based on his worth"?? He hasn't even started his job yet. Good luck to you Mr Geodan on your new job, but I think starting out at a lower salary & working up, would set a good example. Canfield school officials are "nickle & dimeing" the students & parents, but NOT themselves??

2grand4dad(197 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

A classic example of what is wrong in the public sector. The Board has no problem with the philosophy of "You pay what you need to pay to get the right, qualified candidate,” she said. “The board feels he’s worth the additional money.” when it comes to hiring administrators. But heaven forbid we pay teachers and other middle-class public workers "what they are worth"; we all know they are incompetent, lazy, feeding at the public trough with all their golden perks and bennies. This Board should be fired. If they were being fiscally responsible, they would not be automatically upping the salaries of all newly hired administrators.

3marebs(1 comment)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Geordan said "it's his dream job - it's where he wants to be" - sounds like he could have been hired for the same salary he currently has but in typical Mrs. Sturm fashion, she and the school board continue to report to the superintendent instead of the other way around. Canfield does NOT need Mr. Zambrini in on the transition plans; the voters have made it clear with their response to the levies that it's time for him to take his ego and just go!

4grand4dad(197 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Tony,
I think you misunderstood my post, please read it agaIn. I was being sarcastic, echoing what I see every day on these posts where someone is attacking workers in the public sector. I am all for the workers in the public sector. I fully support teachers, police, firefighters and all public workers and believe they should be fairly compensated for the important work they do for all of us and was very passionate that SB5 should be repealed. I firmly believe teachers are underpaid for the job they do. What I have a problem with is the administrators - that is where I believe there are abuses in the public sector. When school boards want to cut salaries and benefits for teachers because the district has no money, I believe they act irresponsibly by then turning around and hiring another administrator at a much higher salary than seems prudent for the economic environment in which we exist.

5grand4dad(197 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Tony,
I don't know how else to say this to you. I AM ON YOUR SIDE ON THIS ISSUE. I FULLY SUPPORT ALL PUBLIC WORKERS. I do not think they are lazy, incompentent, etc. I am sick and tired of people attacking the public sector. I fought hard for the repeal of SB5. There are some abuses in the public sector but these are mostly at the top, that is the only point I was trying to make. When school boards continue these abuses at the top, it fuels the perception against al public sector workers. Sorry if I was unclear.

6walter_sobchak(1922 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

We constantly hear that about 82% of school taxes go to personnel costs. Canfield can't get a millage increase passed and the school board hires a new super and pays him more than the retiring super. Now, what chance do they think they have to getting a millage increase passed? They have about as much chance as getting my vote next time! This guy just got a 12% raise and he gets his dream job! What about proving your value first!

7UsuallyBlunt(105 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Alexs' family has a history in public education...his mother and father were very fine educators and I am positive that Canfield will get its dollar worth from this exceptional young man...( good for you Alex! )

8nipsy(133 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope Canfield will get it's dollar worth from this exceptional young man because they will not be getting anymore tax levy money!! Good luck passing a levy after throwing my tax money around like Monopoly money!! This was his "dream job"! He was making $93,000 at PY. His predecessor was making $103,000, yet the board, in their infinate wisdom, decided to pay him $105,000????? I am willing to bet he would have taken the job for $94,000....