Woman: Police wouldn’t let me dress

Published: Tue, May 8, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

A South Side woman says she is humiliated after being made to lie face down nude on her front porch during a police raid at her home.

Carlissa Douglas, 39, said she had just gotten off work Monday morning and was in the process of changing clothes preparing to take a nap when she heard some commotion and looked to see what was going on.

She said she was met near the front of her Auburndale Avenue home by several men who she later would learn were law- enforcement officers.

Douglas said she wanted to put on some clothes, but was told by the officers she could not go back up to a bedroom and dress. She said she managed to grab her granddaughter’s blanket for cover before she was grabbed by an officer and made to lie on the floor.

“I am bruised all over my arm from the way this one cop grabbed me. They grabbed me around my neck. I was just getting off work and didn’t know they were at the door. ... I was butt naked outside. They threw me down on the porch,” she said.

The officers involved were members of the Mahoning Valley Violent Crimes Task Force serving a warrant for the arrest of Douglas’ 15-year-old son. The juvenile ultimately was arrested during the search of the home.

“I am so humiliated. Everyone was standing outside. Then, they [officers] act like they don’t care and said they can do whatever they want because they are looking for somebody,” she said.

Jon Holloway, supervisory agent for the task force, would not discuss the particulars of the case or the arrest of the juvenile in the home, but he did say Douglas was given the opportunity to cover herself with a towel.

He said officers were looking for a suspect in a crime where someone was shot and could not allow Douglas to go to a bedroom where guns might be hidden.

“We did make an arrest for a robbery in a case where someone was shot in the course of that robbery,” he said. “Standard arrest procedures for the safety of everyone involved were followed.”

Holloway said officers had to identify everyone and clear the house for the safety reasons. They could not allow Douglas to return to another part of the house for more clothes. He again repeated she was given the opportunity to cover herself with a blanket.

Holloway said any complaints would be investigated by the proper authorities, but as of late Monday afternoon Douglas had not contacted his office.

Comments

1foxyglo(372 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

THEY NEED TO TREAT PEOPLE WITH RESPECT, I DON'T CARE WHO THEY ARE. SOME DAY THE TABLES WILL TURN. ALL THE OFFICERS HAVE A FAMILY. YOU DON'T JUST TREAT PEOPLE ANY KIND OF WAY BECAUSE YOU WEAR A BADGE. . PIGS

2livingintheYo(1 comment)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Of course she is not humiliated by the fact that her 15 year old son is a suspect in a robbery where someone was shot. Just another day in Y-town.

3peggygurney(399 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I know Officer Holloway. If he was in charge of this team, then this woman is greatly exaggerating. Grabbed around the neck? I highly doubt it.

I would think that she'd be more concerned that her 15 yr old son was involved in a robbery where someone was shot?

4peggygurney(399 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

@ foxyglo - I'd be careful how you post.

"SOME DAY THE TABLES WILL TURN. ALL THE OFFICERS HAVE A FAMILY."

This could be construed as a veiled threat.

5Sunny(25 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey Foxygo,

When you put YOUR LIFE on the line to catch criminals of violent crimes THEN - AND ONLY THEN - will you have a right to talk about treating people with respect!! Would you want to lose a loved one because some chick wanted to get her clothes from her bedroom and managed to grab a gun and shoot them where they stand? I DIDN'T THINK SO. Shame on you for calling these people pigs! I'll bet you wouldn't call them pigs if YOU NEEDED THEIR HELP, WOULD YA?

6fogalert(4 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Even though she had just gotten off work she should put something on before going to see what was going on. Who walks through the house naked to investigate a possible situation with a 15 year old male in the house anyway. Of course the police don't let you get dressed.