Canfield twins headed to West Point

Published: Fri, March 23, 2012 @ 12:01 a.m.

photo

Anthony, left, and Michael Ross, 18, of Canfield signed their appointment papers Thursday to attend the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. The identical twins will report to the academy in July for six weeks of basic training before beginning their academic and military careers.

By Elise Franco

efranco@vindy.com

CANFIELD

Michael and Anthony Ross exemplify excellence in Canfield School District and will carry that with them to the United States Military Academy at West Point.

The 18-year-old identical twins signed their appointment papers Thursday to the academy in West Point, N.Y. Anthony and Michael, sons of Tony and Lisa Ross, are seniors at Canfield High School and will begin their Army training July 2.

Included with their acceptance into West Point is a four-year scholarship of $475,000 each.

Tony Ross said his sons will arrive at the academy and immediately begin six weeks of basic training before transitioning right into their schooling.

“We’ve told our sons that the greatest thing you can do in your life is serve,” he said. “It’s exciting, and we’re so proud of them.”

Michael said he’s always wanted to serve in a branch of the military and knew as early as eighth grade that he wanted to attend West Point.

“I’ve always felt indebted to my country and wanted to serve,” he said. “I’m most looking forward to the people I’ll meet there, the various leaders I’ll work with, and the opportunities I’ll get.”

Anthony said that when he looks toward the future, a military education and career is what he sees.

“I am ready to get to work,” he said. “I have a picture in my mind of the future. ... I’m looking forward to the challenges this will present.”

Anthony said he and his brother will study engineering at West Point, though they haven’t decided on a field.

Greg Cooper, the district’s athletic director, introduced Anthony and Michael in front of a group of about 200 staff and students Thursday in the high school gymnasium.

“West Point is an outstanding institution that only accepts outstanding candidates,” he said. “We’re lucky to have them here serving our school and community, and they will now serve our country.”

Anthony and Michael maintained a 4.0 grade-point average and will graduate at the top of their class of 238 students, and they both excelled in extracurriculars as well as athletics.

Anthony, the senior class president, also is a three-year letter winner in football and baseball and was a candidate for West Point’s 2011 Outstanding Leader Candidate Award.

Michael, the class vice president, is a three-year letter winner in football and two-year letter winner in baseball. And, he was appointed to the United States Naval Academy in addition to West Point.

Both are members of the National Honor Society and Leo’s and Key clubs.

Col. Charles Coleman, West Point admissions participant and retired army colonel, said Anthony and Michael are the first set of twins that he’s sent to the academy in his 27 years of working with West Point.

“They’ll definitely distinguish themselves,” he said. “They both presented themselves with an almost identical desire to take their leadership skills to the next level.”

Coleman said the pool of applicants started at about 33 and was narrowed to the 10 most competitive. He said two other local seniors — from Boardman and Brookfield — could be headed to the academy as well, but their plans aren’t finalized.

Coleman said the twins have all of the qualities needed to be successful.

“Young men and women choosing to go to West Point are doing so knowing they’ll almost certainly be put in harm’s way,” he said. “I have no doubt in my mind that in four years they will graduate and become a successful lieutenant.”

Comments

1Ytownnative(1062 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Be all that you can be

2Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Tony and Lisa Ross you did a great job of raising these two fine young men.

3Max(86 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations to these two young men! Their parents have much to be proud of. It's always nice to see stories of young people doing GOOD instead of the usual negativity in the news.

4kathleen615(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

WOW, how wonderful. Tony and Lisa what model parents you must be to produce such fine young men. God Bless you boys in your futures. KM

5georgejeanie(889 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Seeing this tyoe story renews ones faith in America. Congratulations to the parents and to these two young men.

6busyman(239 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

You should be proud parents. This is the perfect example of how parenting should work to produce positive outcomes. The Youngstown City schools should hire parents like this from all the schools in which are similair to this and mentor some of the dead beat parents that are blaming the schools for their childs failure to learn. It takes a family to raise a child and in many of these success stories, I am sure that some come from families that are not physcially living together, but they still finish the parenting job. Yes it is a job to raise children, not the job of the system. GREAT JOB AGAIN TO THE PARENTS OF THESE TWO BOYS.

7hellokitty(161 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Double Congratulations! Well, triple congrats,because the parents deserve accolades as well ;)

8Traveler(606 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Once again we see the parents are key to children success..
Instead of blaming the teachers at failing schools let just cut off there parents food stamp.

9toothfairy703(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I am very proud and happy to see West Point aquire fine young men from our area. My son graduated from West Point and is actually just finishing his 5 year commitment to the U S Army. Word's cannot describe the roller coaster of emotion's this journey will hold for the family.From when they drop their child/children off at West Point in July and are advised "you now have 90 seconds to say goodbye to your "New Cadet" on reception day, until you see them home from their first tour of duty, their lives have been changed forever. The sacrifices that have been made by the cadet and their family, are not measurable. It was an honor for my son to attend "The Academy". I am very proud of his decsion to serve our country. However, I would like to say it is not only fine students and parents from the suburbs who get to attend a service academy. I was a single mother who lived/lives in the City of Youngstown. I acquired my education as a divorced/non-tradional student who worked 2 jobs to attend college. Once I graduated, I worked 5 1/2 days a week to pay his tuition for private schooling. Please, do not insult me, or my son, who has given up 9 years of his life to serve our country...excellence is not reserved for the suburbs, there is room for it in the inner city as well.