Not everyone loves the parade

Published: Sun, March 18, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Not everyone loves the parade

After 5 years of living in Ohio, I finally got to one of the St. Patrick’s Day parades in Boardman. The experience was a total flop, and I won’t be back.

People can be so rude and inconsiderate. My husband and I arrived near Kia of Boardman about 45 minutes before the parade began. We had chairs and positioned them near the corner of the street next to a guardrail and were prepared to sit tight till the parade was to start. Every minute that inched closer to the parade beginning, the crowd moved in closer and closer. I realized that we were not going to be able to sit and watch the parade as we do every year at Pennsylvania parades. I finally stood up and moved closer to the road off the grassy area next to my husband. About 6 minutes before the start of the parade a couple with two teenage girls stood smack dab in front of me. They came six minutes before the start and got front row standing areas. Then the girls took off their hats and used them to hold all the candy that was handed out, blocking the other younger kids in the area where we were standing.

About half way through the event, sirens going off and important people now walking through waving at everyone, another small little redheaded girl out of nowhere entered into my already crowded area and stood so close in front of me I had to take a step back. Within seconds the mother and another younger woman entered the same small area I was standing in to be next to this little girl. At this point I could no longer enjoy the rest of the parade. I grabbed the chairs and told my husband I had had enough. Ohio people can be so inconsiderate and never think twice about having some kind of manners. I have heard from a couple other people that they don’t attend the parade any longer because of these thoughtless parade goers.

Needless to say, this couple will no longer attend the St. Patrick’s Day parade or any other parade in Ohio. We will drive the distance to Pennsylvania where people have some manners and all can enjoy the events going on.

Glenda J. Porterfield, Austintown

Protect the park from fracking

The fracking of Mill Creek Park is a very real possibility. In June of 2011, Ohio Buckeye Energy LLC, a subsidiary of Chesapeake Energy, one of the leaders of hydraulic fracturing, began steadily acquiring the deep-drilling rights to all of Everflow Eastern’s wells that were slant-drilled under the park in the ’80s and ’90s. According to Clark Johnson, executive director of the park, there are 20 wells on park property and another 40 on private property that were slant-drilled into the park. The park has been receiving royalties from these wells for many years. According to the Mill Creek Watershed Action Plan, which was written in April of 2007, the following live in the Mill Creek watershed:

7 endangered species of birds

6 threatened species of birds (likely to become endangered within the foreseeable future)

1 endangered/threatened species (the bald eagle)

4 plant species that are rare, threatened, and endangered.

The toxic wastewater resulting from fracking contains neurotoxins and cancer-causing chemicals, such as benzene and formaldehyde, along with radioactive elements. These poisons are also released into the air as a result of fracking. What effect will this pollution have on these endangered/threatened species and other wildlife? What about the health of park patrons and property owners whose land borders the park?

Back before the Boardman Sewage Treatment plant was built, you could watch hellbenders, beautiful aquatic salamanders, swimming in Mill Creek. They are all gone now due to the polluting of the park’s waters and are, in fact endangered in Ohio.

As John Muir once warned, “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” What unforeseen dangers lie in store for us as a result of the fracking of Mill Creek Park?

Chris Khumprakob, Youngstown

Women get pills; what do men get?

Now we have it. The gov- ernment wants to make the pill paid for by the taxpayers for free sex without the worry of getting pregnant. Remember, that is the reason women use the pill.

If the pill falls into the free category, why do women only get this offer? What about men? Can they not demand the same consideration and want condoms to be free also? If not, why not? They perform the same service as the pill.

This government has turned into the biggest farce on the planet, both Republican and Democrat. What we need the government to do is get American jobs back from the foreign countries because we cannot compete with their work ethics or lack of government controls.

We also need to demand the oil companies that refine crude oil here must supply the products made from those refineries to the USA first before they can sell one ounce to any other country.

Rea Buttermore, Boardman

Comments

1chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Dear Glenda, I would like to apologize to you and your family for the rude behavior you experienced at the parade

I was brought up to hold the door open for others, to sat 'please' and 'thank you', and to be courteous. Obviously such etiquette is dying in our area, and I am sorry for this.

2buster62(24 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Dear Mrs. Porterfield:

You are right on the button. People in Boardman are rude. I live in Boardman and these people out here are the rudest people in the world.

Do not try to cross Market or 224, they will on purpose try to hit you.

I quit going to the parade out here. I do not even go to the Canfield fair because of their attitudes.

We have a neighbor who is in a Pittsburgh hospital due to being hit by a driver on a Cell Phone.

William E. Reeds
7544 Market Apt. 405
Boardman, Ohio 44512
reeds_william@yahoo.com
3307587094

3tonne(199 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

The loss of civility is rampant everywhere, not just here in Ohio. As proof, all we need do is read some of the comments posted on Yahoo and other national websites. Anonymity seems to breed rudeness and some people, like those at the parade, don't seem to care how their behavior appears or how they treat others. I no longer go to movie theaters because of the way people behave in them. I don't know that there is much that any of us can do, but what a sad and unflattering reflection of the times.

4commoncitizen(949 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Buster Nad Glenda, To say that the peo[ple in Boardman are the blame is not fair. How do you know where these people live? They could be from Youngstown, Canfield, Austintown, New Castle???? Why not ask the women to move?
Buster, doesn't sound l;ike PA. is any better.
Sorry to say, you will have inconsiderate peo[ple anyywhere.

5gdog4766(1254 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Folks, I know this woman and she is a miserable impossible to make happy person. She is just one of those people who if she hit the lottery for a million she would complain she didnt win two million. This is a parade that thousands of people come to. To expect everyone to worry whether you can see from your seat at your staked out site is idiotic. But if you knew this woman you would not be surprised. Trust she'd blocked your line of sight or move in on you in a heartbeat.

6300(552 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I like how this lady thinks that she should've had the parade all to herself. How dare anyone else show up to watch it.

I can just see her being that lady at a basketball game telling everyone to sit down after their team just went ahead with a minute to go.

7clyde505(4 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Glenda,

Why do you assume, and lump everyone from Ohio into the people who went to this parade.

Sounds like there are rude people everywhere, and you are pigeon-holing everyone in Ohio in reference to these people in your very small area to watch a parade. It also sounds like you did nothing about asking them to move -- but rather stormed off in a huff because you didn't get it the way you envisioned your day to be.

I know a number of considerate people in Ohio who would have moved if you would have asked. I have been to my share of parades in different cities and I have seen polite people all over. So why don't you commend the people who were polite at the parade, instead of the 10 people around you.

Like the person before me said, maybe these people came in from PA for the parade. So your home state might be the problem -- not all the people in Ohio.

8walter_sobchak(1750 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Glenda,
Let me apologize for Ohio being the Heart of it All for rudeness. When you return to Pa., will you apologize for being the state of child-molester assistant football coaches?

9anothermike(202 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I think that it must be that the X and Y generations have been spoiled and they have a "me" attitude about everything. They have their "agenda" and everyone else needs to step aside. You are invisible as far as they are concerned and it's obvious there is no teaching of manners at home or at school. Even when dining at a restaurant, the "servers" (I use the term loosely) act like they are doing you a big favor. I always considered myself a "good tipper", but I think it's time to eat at home more often and cut the gratuity on the rare occasions when I will venture out..........

10CommonSenseGuy(37 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

The Browns will never be successful until the 11,500,000 people who live in Ohio learn some manners! As for the 12,700,000 polite Pennsylvanians, all I can say is Go Steelers!

11pwhite1027(102 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Dear Ms. Porterfield,

I think I speak for many by recommending that you go back from where you came from. Parades are for children and families; not a bitter person who isn't happy unless others are miserable.

Perhaps, you should have led by example and simply explained to them that they were blocking your view and that you had been their first so as to have a good view of the parade. That would have demonstrated proper manners rather than complaining to the newspaper. I'm sure they would have gotten far away from you rather than lust in your misery. Get a life!!

I'm sure a little red-headed girl (what difference does it make what color her hair is, do you have something against red hair), wasn't thinking about your plight. Get over it for goodness sakes!