Man killed on North Side in dispute over electricity, police say

Published: Thu, March 1, 2012 @ 11:59 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

What began as a dispute over electricity ended Thursday with the city’s sixth homicide of the year.

Police said the suspect, Jasmine Fletcher, 21, shot and killed Munir Blake, 31, both of Lora Avenue, after he tried to cut the power cord she was using to steal electricity from his home.

Police helicopters with spotlights lighting the streets flew over the surrounding neighborhoods searching.

Police said that between 4 and 5 p.m., Blake walked to Fletcher’s home to cut the power source. Police said Blake and Fletcher began arguing.

At some point, Fletcher fired up to 10 rounds into Blake from a handgun, police said.

For the complete story, read Friday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

Comments

1sloppyk32(5 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story the other day about the gentlemen from California purchasing an abandon house, wasn't that on Lora as well? Welcome to the Northside of Youngstown!!

2doowoptokidrock(325 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Get the needle ready for this worthless piece of trash.

3walter_sobchak(1927 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

ytownlion,
I think everyone that is angry with the circumstances in their life should be given a free pass to kill other humans. I would think that squeezing off 10 rounds is a great stress relief. I mean, how dare her neighbor pull the plug on her thievery. Well, she will now be taken care of on a daily basis.

4JME(801 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Sloppyk32,
I was thinking the same thing.

5doowoptokidrock(325 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

A young lady, no a worthless piece of garbage is more like it. She should be shot on sight.

6Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

lion

"It is no mystery that the poor in Youngstown are subject to arrest on a daily basis for trying to exist on nothing."

Excuses! Nothing but excuses. Their are tons of programs and help in the Youngstown area. Just to lazy to get help or get off their butts to change their lifestyle.

"They are the forgotten ones until their actions for survival culminate in a death, be it theirs or someone who they have encountered."

Actions for survival gives them a free pass to commit murder? I hope you were being sarcastic. Their is NO reason to kill another human being over something like this. What ever happened to being accountable for the way you want to live your life?

"It will cost more to incarcerate Jasmine that it would have to supply her with decent housing and utilities."

Give her free housing and utilities so she don't have to work or become a productive member of society. So just give everyone free utilities, money, housing, etc so they don't have to lift a finger to work. Real bright, Skippy.

"More can and should be done bring this needless way of life to a different scenario."

Maybe get a job? HUMOR me and tell me what more can be done. I can't wait to hear this one.

Please QUIT with the EXCUSES.

"Police on the scene would not release a description of Fletcher, and as of late Thursday, were still searching for her."

Here is the low life animal...

7yng00128(67 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Stop hatching these useless thugs.......The hood needs to practice birth control. They produce like roaches. Thats the problem!!!!!!!! Im sure this piece of trash Jasmine probably has parents that are in prison or on drugs....kinda reminds you of the parents of the Chardon shooter.

8VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

With so many programs available for those who cannot afford to pay for their electricity, one can only wonder why she resorted to stealing power from her neighbor. Apparently, she was on the "cut off" list of the power company for past disgressions. I have heard many stories by utility workers over threats, physical assaults, weapon assaults and shootings by residents over their electric services. The utility companies do not wish to discuss these incidents and prefer to keep them quiet.

9LtMacGowan(646 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

That being said. What a piece of trash that lady is to kill some one rather than admit she was stealing and face whatever penalty (probably a fine and probation) she would have gotten.

I'd say that was a proportionate and logical response to facing that, Shoot him 10 times instead. Far better to be a murderer apparently than to be an electric thief.

10captainlinger(621 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

the electric chair would be an appropriate punishment for this woman.

11north_side_girl(213 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Carl, I know for a fact that it isn't 228 Lora, because 228 is MY house. The house the murder took place in is across the street, and would have an odd house number. I saw landlord/convicted drug peddler Joe Pedaline outside the property this morning. This is the second murder on my street from one of his tenants since I've been living there. Maybe now he will pay more attention to who he rents to.

12sonnype(71 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

There are programs that those that cant afford utilities can apply for.This person had money for a handgun and bullets but could not afford to pay for electric?

13drs920(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

this was my cousin everyone this bitch deserves life in jail he was the most kind hearted man ever her broke ass got mad over her stealin his electric how petty i swear theres so much i can keep sayin but im not so i dont get red flaged and go to prison my self u did she gunna get it i promis ill be there the day she goes to prison to loo her in the eyes and ask why

14sasquatch(1 comment)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@ LtMacGowan;
"I see once again some one is screaming for a state sanctioned murder. Sorry If I don't get all warm and fuzzy when the state kills in my name."
That’s OK by me, They are more than welcome to do it in my name instead. It makes me feel VERY warm and fuzzy inside…

15Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

mac

Tell why this animal shouldn't get the death penalty to Munir Blake's wife and 5 children (who by the way witnessed the shooting with10 rounds at that) and I highly doubt their would be any reasonable answers. She killed a innocent man OVER STEALING his electricity. Such a pitiful creature.

""The report states Blake had several bullet holes in his side and there were several spent shell casings on the floor by the stairs. A spent round also was found on the kitchen floor by the sink. The door frame leading to the back stairwell where Blake was found was covered in blood, as were several items stacked next to the door frame, according to the report."

16LtMacGowan(646 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Simply because I feel that 1 murder doesn't avenge another murder.

Also I think she ll suffer more by spending the rest of her life in prison knowing she will never leave except in a pine box.

17CCalloway(2 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Munir was my best friend....and he lost his life to the hands of this bitch, and her father demands a apology for making her sound like a animal...as far as im concerned..this isnt the first time she has been in trouble with the law. if this bitch would of done something productive with her life, then maybe ..MAYBE she woulda have electricity. instead, when her power got cut..she confronted him in his home and shot him. when and where does Micheal come in....no where...but it easier to say someone from a dysfunctional home and life took someine elses life.,because Ms, Jasmin scared to face charges. I hope they all burn in hell...from her to her whole f--ked up family. MURDERERS....noone deserved to die like that...let alone, be taken from his wife and kids...family and friends...YOU TOOK FROM US SOMEONE SO GENIUNE...AND NOW EVERYONE WANNA MAKE EXCUSES FOR YOUR BEHAVIOR,....i believe in the dealth penalty...i would love nothing more to watch u sit and fry you worthless piece of shyt.