UPDATE: GM recalls 413,000 Chevy Cruzes

Published: Fri, June 22, 2012 @ 1:05 p.m.

DETROIT — General Motors will recall 413,418 Lordstown-built Chevrolet Cruzes in the United States for the 2011 and 2012 model years because of the risk of a possible engine fire.

The recall will allow GM to modify the engine shield under the vehicle.

The company said in a statement today that the modification will help prevent liquids from being trapped in the engine compartment, where a fire could start.

The recall includes all Cruzes, manual and automatic, built in the United States, through May 2012.

In a separate safety recall, GM will inspect certain cars included in the first recall to assure welds in the rear compartment were applied properly.

“The most important thing for our customers to know is that we are proactively working to assure the Cruze is the safe and durable car they purchased,” said GM Vice President of Global Quality Alicia Boler-Davis in the statement. “We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by these actions.”

For details watch Vindy.com and see Saturday's Vindicator.

COMPLETE GM STATEMENT ON THE CRUZE

Comments

1CongressWatcher(154 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

As a coerced tax paying investor, this makes me a little nervous guys! Let's try and do better from now on. Maybe the president and ALL of the valley politicians and UAW leaders should use this as another photo opp with no real questions allowed afterwards. What say yee David Skolnik?

2anothermike(203 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe you ought to contact the CEO at GM and inform them you would like to teach them how to build motor vehicles...........

3Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

How many fires ????

4Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

GM said Friday that the fires can ignite when fluids drip onto a plastic shield below the engine. GM knows of 30 fires caused by the problem. No injuries have been reported.

Dealers will cut the shield to let the fluid drain to the pavement. GM says most of the fires were caused by spills during oil changes that weren't cleaned properly.

5Harley_Guy(108 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

The ACTUAL RECALL NUMBER is 475,418 when you include the 61,299 from Canada and the 701 from Israel (which were produced from the Lordstown plant as well). It is interesting that other plants around the world that produce the Cruze were unaffected...

See: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/0...

Don't you wish you could get the real story and all the facts from the Vindy?!?

6CongressWatcher(154 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

AnotherMike, since I am actually a semi-retired automotive engineer who spent almost 15 years designing Audi vehicles, I think I should make that call to the CEO. And wouldn't you know it, as a US citizen I am a stockholder in GM. So I guess that gives me a right to complain when things go wrong. If they don't want to hear it, they can simply buy back ALL of the shares of the company from the government RIGHT NOW.

How does that taste?

7DwightK(1236 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

This sounds like a pretty simple fix and unworthy of screaming in caps. Let's all take five and remember we're adults.

8Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Honda just recalled 1.4 m cars for much worse
So turn your hate somewhere else

9Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

YES they did !.4m recalled
Plus how do you wash the blood of 9m americans off your JAP *RAP . But I guess that does not matter to you if you can spread you hate. You should .(HO never mine you so full of hate you do not care who hurt ).
Just so your hate for yourself is satisfied GET HELP

10Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Plus F&E it would be nice if you did not stoop so low as to call names
HAVE A NICE DAY

11Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

No it just shows your class
When you are wrong the only thing to do is call names and try to hurt .
Feel sorry for you and hope things work out for you . Just do not try the hurt others and buy Foreign stuff so you can hurt those you feel hurt you
There is ford
Have a nice Day

12CongressWatcher(154 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

For the record. I designed Audi vehicles, but always owned one or more GM cars. I did this out of patriotism. When you think about it, that is a large amount of dough over the years that I gave to the company. It concerned me that my government gave them more money. I see them moving more jobs overseas. That angers me. I see them shedding their promises to their retirees, that angers. I do expect the designers and builders in this country to work in a patriotic way. The same way that I patriotically supported them over the years. Honestly, I did not buy the GMs because they were the best car on the market for my money. I spend much time and money keeping them on the road. I also think GM needs to start making more spare parts available over the long haul. Please remember that those of us that do support you really want to buy the best car for our money some day. One that lasts a long time because cars are not cheap.