facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Neighbor, smoke detector credited for saving lives in Girard blaze



Published: Wed, June 20, 2012 @ 8:24 p.m.

Neighbor, smoke detector credited for saving lives in Girard blaze

GIRARD

A Girard man is being credited with saving the life of three people after a fire forced a mother and her two children to the roof of their home.

The Girard Fire Department responded to a call shortly after 5:30 a.m. Wednesday at 333 Hazel St,

Rebekah Cook, along withe her 2- and 4-year-old sons, were awakened by a smoke detector. The mother tried to head downstairs but the fire and smoke were too thick to exit the first floor, said fire Chief Ken Bornemiss.

Cook and her children exited off the second floor roof of their home and started screaming for help.

Craig Smith, of Ward Avenue, heard the screams and brought a ladder to the house — where he helped Cook and her children to safety before firefighters contained the blaze, said Bornemiss.

Bornemiss said the fire occurred because too many cords were plugged into an outlet located in the front family room. The electrical overload sparked a fire which spread throughout the first floor. He credits a working smoke detector for saving the lives of the family.

The Victory Christian Center in Lowellville is overseeing a “Cook Fire Fund.” Contributions can be made in person or mailed to 3899 McCartney Road, Lowellville, OH, 44436.


Comments

1DDennis(1 comment)posted 2 years ago

It is good to hear that the fire did not involve a fatality. That said, it sounds like the fire started out as a smoldering type fire and that the house probably had a outdated ionization smoke alarm. If the house had a photoelectric smoke alarm it is quite likely that they would have heard the alarm and been able to walk out the front door instead of having to resort to climbing on to the roof and relying on a neighbor. Please check out the type of alarm and if it is an ionization replace with a photoelectric. The next time they may not be so lucky to survive.

Suggest removal:

2daysleeper47(59 comments)posted 2 years ago

A+ comment, DDennis. Very true.

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport