Lack of clean drug tests to hold back Valley hiring

Published: Sun, June 10, 2012 @ 12:10 a.m.

Workers have been brought in from other areas to fill trades

By Burton Speakman

bspeakman@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

Mass hiring for oil and gas jobs is expected to start within the next year, but the lack of a drug-free work force in the Mahoning Valley may prove to be a problem.

In Columbiana County, for example, nine of 10 potential unskilled workers will fail the urine screen, said Josh Dunne, co-owner of Accord Occupational Health Services in Boardman and Ohio Sports and Spine Institute, which does drug testing as part of its work in occupational health.

For higher-skilled positions in the industry, the rate drops to three tests to find one worker, he said, a failure rate of 66 percent.

It becomes expensive for the companies seeking qualified workers since tests can cost $40 each.

The trades, such as welding and pipe fitting, have brought in workers from other areas because there are not enough skilled or drug-free workers in the Valley, Dunne said.

Brian Benyo, president of Brilex Indus-tries Inc., said at the Oh-Penn Interstate Regional Manufac- turing Workforce Summit in April that there are not enough people locally who have the necessary skills for the modern manufacturing industry.

Benyo, as part of the Mahoning Valley Manufacturers Coalition, is working with local colleges and training programs to increase the number of skilled workers.

It doesn’t matter if someone has the best training, however, if they cannot pass a drug test. There is no way they will get hired in the oil and gas industry, said Rhonda Reda, executive director of the Ohio Oil and Gas Education Program.

“Companies can’t afford the risk. Safety is one of the biggest concerns out there,” she said. “Someone potentially getting hurt would create huge problems.”

The most-common drugs that appear on failed tests among local workers are marijuana and painkillers, Dunne said.

The difficulty in getting potential employees to pass drug tests has led companies to target veterans and volunteer firefighters as workers, Reda said.

“We tell them two things. First, they have to be able to pass a drug test; and second, they have to be able to work out in the weather and elements,” she said. “Former military and volunteer firefighters can typically pass the drug test, and they’re used to working in all types of weather conditions.”

Both Dunne and Reda would like to see some level of prior screening for people before they are allowed into federal- or state-funded training programs.

“A number of these job-training programs are funded by the state. It’s a waste of time to put someone through training who has no chance of getting hired,” Reda said.

There are a lot of people taking out loans or receiving grants to go through training programs, she said.

“Hopefully, by talking about this, people will get themselves clean by the time hiring is expected to boom in about a year,” she said.

Failing drug tests is a problem throughout the work force, particularly at the less-skilled level, Dunne said. Everyone with an interest must get together to talk about the issue, she said.

“It does not look good for this area if word gets out that you can’t hire employees because they can’t pass a drug test,” Dunne said.

One neighboring state that did not have a large number of failed drug tests was Indiana. Indiana’s Department of Workforce Development reported that just 1 percent of participants failed drug tests.

The reasons for this could vary. Dunne said he worked with a company that had prospective employees take a written test and then walk four blocks for a drug test immediately afterward.

“It was amazing how many people got lost,” he said. “A lot of people pre-screened themselves knowing they wouldn’t pass the test.”

Comments

1DontBanThisDrone(533 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I've been saying for several years;

You people simply aren't employable. lol

(-:

2michael1757(291 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Nobody can pass a drug test so they start targeting vet's. Wow,they target vets as a last resort. That make's me all warm inside,or did I just P*** myself.

3cheybaby2(102 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Its not Just the Kids As You Think,, I'm 57 yrs old, most of my age group are either alcoholics, Oxycontin attics , crack heads, heroin, pot , even people older then me. I'm so sick of every excuse people have to be screw up. My doctor Fired me because I refused to take his drugs. I have Been Hit Twice by Drunk Drivers and I suffer because of it. But i like a clear head and drug free.. My Brother was a Oxy attic for 10 years because of his Doctor in Niles, He was so Messed up He never Knew he was Sick till he collapsed they did X-rays He had 4 Huge Brain Tumors One was Removed He died 8 Months Later.with 7 tumors, . I used to fight with him over his addiction, all i heard is my back this my back that. People that use are weak minds , weak souls they would rather be screw ups then having a real life.

4drpautot(70 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

i loathe the fact that the government/industries still use marijuana use as an excuse to exclude people for any type of employment. its the most harmless substance out there people! im an advocate for norml, but grow up people. if Clinton can inhale cant we do it too?

5Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

“Failing a urine test is like failing an IQ test. If you fail, you’re probably too stupid to work there,” he said."

This comment says it all. If you can't stay clean for a pre screening drug test then you are to stupid to work.

drp

You can cry all you want about legalizing marijuana, (which I agree they should legalize it) but for now, it's "illegal" and if you want a job you can't smoke it, real simple, real easy. And the major ones that can't pass a simple drug test are the ones that always have the excuse, "there are no jobs here"! smh at such stupidity in society today....

And what gets me is the idiots that no there is going to be a drug test still smoke. If you can't stop using for 30 days then you will never work and only have yourself to blame. Common sense people.

6NoBS(2010 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Lifes2Short, step back and look at the issue that 'gets' you - the fact that the dopers can't stop smoking it even though they know they're heading for a drug test specifically aimed at the substance they choose to smoke. What does that behavior reveal? That those people are addicted. They CAN'T stop. What else explains their self-defeating actions?

I think employers are justified in their refusing to consider hiring stoners. We all know dope smokers who admit they smoke it while on the job - those of them who have a job. How many more do, but don't admit it?

7taxme(345 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Hers is another problem easily solved. Decriminalize marijuana! It's a weed not a drug. I'm sure if they tested for the much much much much much much much more deadly and harmful legal drug alcohol it would show up the ones that pass. Get over it people and I don't want to hear the stupid excuse it leads to more harmful drugs because the truth is ALCOHOL not marijuana is what leads to the more harmful drugs and is addictive as well!

8kensgirl(643 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Heroin is the big thing in this valley. It's cheaper for one thing. This drug epidemic has to stop somewhere. It's really only getting worse. I reported a Dr. giving drugs out right and left years ago and I caught hell for it. Thank God he's retired. So much for trying to help albeit in a small way.

9hmm(184 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

It's so much EASIER to sit at home smoke the "Jane" and collect the check.every month since "they" don't drug test ....lifes 2 short hit the nail on the head same people saying there aren't any jobs can't pass the drug test.......

10sue(173 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

One question: If these people are applying for jobs, then it would stand to reason that many of them are currently not employed. Where are they getting the money to buy drugs?

11taxme(345 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

fcb. I wouldn't want to work around anybody on alcohol either. Both are unacceptable! Your point is senseless. I'm saying if someone is drinking or smoking pot on the job they should be fired but refusing someone because over the weekend not on employer time someone smoked the less harmless weed than cigarettes is ridiculous! Decriminalize it!

12NoBS(2010 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

taxme, there are some people who would be really, really good at some jobs, but they have a history of armed robbery. Hey, what the heck - let's decriminalize armed robbery while we're at it!!

(I can't wait for the clueless replies from people who don't get it)

13chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Maybe its time to start testing people who receive government entitlements, such as food stamps, unemployment, SSD, etc.

14repeaters(223 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

The United States is about 5% of the worlds population and consumes two-thirds of the illegal drugs produced in the world.

Ninety-seven percent of the OXYCONTIN produced in the world is consumed in the United States.

15VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Employers throughout the Valley have been experiencing this as a growing problem. Many applicants come in looking very promising, until they take their drug test. Even though they are informed they will have to submit to a drug test, they assure the employer that it would be no problem. And then the test comes back positive.

Sometimes the parent will then come in and confront the employer, even screaming, using foul language and claiming racism. Some have even confronted new hires, making threats, or even followed employees home.

This certainly tells you a lot about some of The Valley's finest.

16UticaShale(854 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

The result, will be the clearing out of the entitled class with the makers replacing them from their real estate and all prime venues. The workers will change the census of the area and the socialist will be driven out.

17Alexinytown(246 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

The answer is getting some self control, which is something that seems to be lacking here. You would think it would cross the minds of people "hey, this is illegal and probably is a bad idea to do". But we don't always deal in right and wrong here, no less consider the short, medium, and long term results of our actions rather than what is the most self gratifying and expedient experience at the moment.

If these companies can't find people locally, hopefully they will bring in some level headed people to live here so we can increase the number of people here who are just that: level headed.

18jtamarkin(37 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

OK, so Indiana is more conservative and boring. Duh. But...Y-towners should look on the bright side: Weirton and Wheeling, for example, are worse. Wonderful Wild Wet Wired West Virginia..."the [White] WV mating call" is shaking a bottle of Oxycontin. We could pick on Parkersburg and Portsmouth, OH (a drug hub) all day, and then debate the obvious...pot vs. alcohol and tobacco. Addicts usually end up in attics, lost and forgotten with so much other crap. And there are too many Americans who abuse drugs, food, guns, money...our (d)evolving ways have led us to more painkillers.

19AnotherAverageCitizen(1175 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I just have a hard time believing 90% of the people looking for a job, or a better job will fail a drug screen. Since I know my spouse and I don't use illegal drugs, using the numbers listed would tell me all the others on my street use illegal drugs.

I know there is a drug problem out there, but 90% would fail a drug test, Come On now. And to say it is only in the valley where people fail drug tests.

Burton,
Why not write a positive point of view. For those who don't do drugs there are many opportunities awaiting. List the employers coming, the wages expected, contacts to make. Help the unemployed/underemployed get a head.

20redvert(2100 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

NoBS, didn't take long did it for a real stupid response?

Introducing jtamarkin

21CurmudgeonMBA(17 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Does the Violator have stake in our valley? What is the point of this article? This is the effect of a much deeper problem and there is zero need to air our dirty laundry. Solve the cause of this issue, NOT the effect.

Maybe the Violator should figure how this information damages the Vindicators business, Less people less Vindicator customers.

22DAWABBIT(30 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

POLITICAL CORRECTOMUNDO

As I gaze over tha city with amazment and not pity I see people full of life doing what they do best. Society it seems thinks that they are being put to the test. Nourished with the nectar of the gods they with society are at odds. Their nectar we brand as drugs and we call them thugs. Who are we to judge how their life they are to live and we should continue to give. All this is part of the plan that has been developed by the man. I know that all of this will end in something great and all I have to do is wait.

23doowoptokidrock(325 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I was led to believe those terrible spas in Warren were the biggest problem in the valley. Now you tell me 90 out of 100 have drugs in their system when applying for a job.The Ohio BCI led by Mike DeWine and the MVOC must not be aware of these stats.

24MadScientist(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Josh Dunne, you sir are a tool. “Failing a urine test is like failing an IQ test. If you fail, you’re probably too stupid to work there,”... I just want to say that I'm a software engineer, a mathematician, and the owner of multiple very successful businesses here in Ohio.... I use cannabis / marijuana for medicinal and recreational purposes daily. I would be willing to bet I'm a much sharper tack than you, and certainly a little more in touch with the times... I refuse to drug test my employees, I think it is a violation of their privacy... Any way you slice it, this is discriminatory. Employment should be contingent on performance at work. The moment you start peering into peoples personal lives you cross serious boundaries. In my opinion, this isn't any different than discriminating against someone because they prefer coke to pepsi.... If you perform the job effectively, I could care less what your smoking or popping when you get home. Your home life, and your personal choices have nothing to do with how you perform your job.... END THE DRUG WAR. END SOCIAL DISCRIMINATION!

25mav541(6 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Chuck is right, if your gonna test workers, its time to start testing everyone who gets Government assistance. And, if you think bringing these "drug free workers" in from other area's, just check the bars around the hotels they stay at after quitting time. BTW, its not all of them, only 90%

26busyman(239 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

With the fact the weeds makes you hungry and the valley, Hoo Ya, just got a million bucks for food. These lazy welfare bums and their families can relax for a while. This is why we are getting workers from the outside. Stop giving all the hand outs in this area and maybe they will get clean and go to work. And the Democrats do not want to drug test the welfare takers. That makes a lot of sense, since they are the ones who should be working. Entitlements Baby, that's the Y-Town way. Stop the Give A Ways.

27Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

NoBS

"That those people are addicted. They CAN'T stop. What else explains their self-defeating actions?"

Beleive me, I understand addiction, I learned the hard way and paid the consequences. But in these times, what is more important now, getting help for your addiction and coming clean and getting a decent job or sitting on your a@#, complaining about no jobs, getting your goverment check and just not caring. Real simple, you neither can use every excuse in the book or do something about it. It's up to the individual, no one else.

taxme

It's still "illegal", exactly what part don't you understand?? smh

jmfrank

"A simple solution would be to outlaw the use of pre-employment drug testing as an invasion of privacy. The corporations only want sheeple that will slave away at substandard wages with no worker rights."

A simple solution would be to NOT USE prior to applying for a job. That has to be the most simpliest thing you could do. Don't take much, does it? Are you one of those that sit at home, fire a blunt up, and bit@# and moan about jobs and life in general? And if you do work, are your checks paying your bills and other things you want/need? smh

wabbat

smoke another one....

madscientist

"I refuse to drug test my employees, I think it is a violation of their privacy... Any way you slice it, this is discriminatory. Employment should be contingent on performance at work. The moment you start peering into peoples personal lives you cross serious boundaries."

And what serious boundaries would you be talking about? Doing illegal drugs? Thats discrimination? Since when? All it takes is a phone call to the police about illegal activity in your employees home or they get busted, then you'll be short one employee. You proably don't do background checks either on your employees, I've been in prison, I'm a felon, and I know a few felons who need a job, would you hire them? Remember you don't do drug tests. Just asking and I'll pass along the info.

28lumper(284 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

DUH !!! the people who WANT TO WORK, are responsible and reliable already have jobs !!! this article refers to the " he's working on getting his ged when he was killed " crowd.

29DAWABBIT(30 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Here is a picture of grandma relaxin while postin at the Vindy. She may indeed be MadScientist's granny.

30candystriper(575 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Rumor has it the new mental health parity act gives you one shot at detox for those on Medicaid...cost driven based on results...frequent fliers who drive up the cost are toast...stay clean or no check...remember if a Hoosier doesn't get your job Tim Ryan will sell the work visa to some guy from China.

31mmil85(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm kind of offended at the way everyone views people on welfare. Just letting you know, I am a single mother who recieves housing, food, and medical assistance. I HAVE a job, I'm an STNA, I borrowed $700.00 for classes and liscensure from a family member, to make $8.50 a hour taking care of who could be a family member to any one of you. I do not do any illegal drugs. I recieve assistance because I need assistnce. I do not sit at home on my ass and collect a welfare check. In fact, I am hardley ever home or see my kid because I am working so much. I just cannot seem to get ahead. I have no problem with employers drug-testing people. I do however have a problem with people saying they can pass a drug test when they know damn well they cannot. It is a waste of the employers time and money, money that if not wasted on you could possibly make my wages higher. It is also a waste of your own time. I mean really, what is the point of applying for a job and taking the drug test if you know you're going to fail and not get the job? Seriously?? Waste. Of. Time.

32taxme(345 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

MadScienist is right on. I like u recreationaly use the harmless weed. It is discriminatory to test. Test the employer! Alcohol use on the jpb is much worse and 10000 more dangerous. I know a lot of employers that get high at work. Decrimimalize it lile it was before prohabition!

33ConservativeDude(36 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

This is what happens when the liberals fight for 99 weeks of unemployement. People have the two things that promote bad habits, money and idle time. This is Obama following the Saul Alinsky model to make people dependant on the government. Now these people have been made dependant on the government they have let their lives slip into depndancy and can not qualify for a good paying job. Thank guys like Bob Hagen for fighting for a system that destroys people to the point they can't qualify to get a job.The valley keeps putting these carrer politicians in office and they are destroying the community's and the citizens. Just look around, the evidence is everywhere. We keep doing the same thing and getting the same result. Before, we had no jobs. Now we have jobs and no one to fill them. Now when they hire illegals to fill the jobs it will be one big Bob Hagen whining party - maybe at the Llemon Grove. Hope noboy punches him.

34slappysmith(55 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

conservative dude you should change your name to dumb@ass. 99 weeks of unemployment has absolutely nothing to do with this. and i got news for you, most of these jobs were going to be given to people that dont live in the mahoning valley anyhow. you fools really believed the energy companies? gullible fools

35jtamarkin(37 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Re-read the article...90% of Columbiana County residents fail, according to Joe Pro Drugtester from Boardman. And the Indiana Dept of Keeping Useless Records is cited for the 1% rate in Hoosierland. (This could be an Onion article.) So who's stupid? Leetonia is 99% gone on drugs, but Lisbon is 20% clean? Huh? Gary is more than 100% overdosed, but Indy is drug-free? (Who prints this kind of statistical hogwash?) Last headscratcher...pot was legal before 1937, when booze wasn't,,,what role, if any, did the US paper industry play in the banning of the reefer madness?

36walter_sobchak(1981 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Most of the posters miss the point. Even if marijuana were decriminalized or legalized, employers can still use drug testing as a requirement for employment. Just as Madscientist chooses not to test his employees. There is a major difference between alcohol and dope. A person can be a social drinker and have one glass of beer or wine as an aid to digestion or for nutritive purposes. But, there is only one reason to smoke dope or put illegal drugs into your system and that is to alter your level of consciousness. While that may not matter if you are sitting behind a computer, it does make a difference when you are driving an 80,000# truck down a highway or working on a dangerous oil platform where even a momentary slip can cause injury or death. It is a matter of reducing risk for the company and they have every right to make the demand of potential employees. I have no problem with decriminalizing marijuana and I believe you should be able to grow it for your own use. But, if you do, know that there will be consequences. Life is all about choices!

37Alexinytown(246 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

What is the obsession with doing drugs? What is the obsession with "getting high", and with hemp and all of this junk? Because that is what it is, junk. And someone out there is laughing all the way to the bank (or their most convenient money launderer) as you are getting burned out and they are getting rich off of your bad habits.

And the truth of the matter is your major suppliers don't use this junk, at least not the smart ones.

As long as there is this need to get high, for whatever stupid or ridiculous reason, there will always be a dealer.

Again, it comes back to self control. You know, the little voice that says "hey, this is a bad idea." "Hey, what are the long term effects of this choice?" But no one listens to that voice anymore, it is all about "right now", the consequences be damned.

38gopherjr(10 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Unsklled workers = druggies?

39Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

middlefinger

"Maybe these energy companies are just blowing smoke to justify not hiring. Perhaps this is the cover for all those "out of town" migrant workers filing into the region." - - - -

The thought crossed my mind as well.

40salem26(13 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I always find it amusing that many of the pothead libs who argue "drug testing is an invasion of my privacy" are the same people that believe its fine for the government to limit how much fat is in a hamburger, how larger of a soft drink you can buy, or what kind of car is "green" enough. What hypocrites.

41southsidedave(4843 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

No jobs; yet, money for drugs

42rghnk72(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

If you can't pass the drug screening don't bother applying. Its not a way of getting out of hiring locals either. My company drug screens the same for everyone regardless of what state you are from. And if you stay clean enough to pass the drug test, and resume soon afterwards, they will catch you. There's enough on this job that can outright kill you, without also having to worry about some idiot under the influence of something.

43Bigben(1996 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

middlefinger

The thought crossed my mind as well.

44DwightK(1304 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Drugs are for people who are too weak to face life.

45bunkpatrol(114 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Lack of sane drug policy holds back everybody.

Theres's much more money in pretending we are stopping drugs than in selling drugs.

46Mmmm(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if these numbers are purposely skewed so that when they start busing in workers from other communities we don't question it. Just seems like a really high percentage. How large was his sample size? How accurate are his records? Just seems like there would be better people to interview to get more accurate results. How many people in Columbiana County would go all the way to Boardman for drug tests. Don't they have any labs there? So either he is using the small amount of Columbiana county workers that go all the way to boardman for drug tests in his analysis or I wonder if these oil and gas companies have contracts with this Josh Dunne then they would benefit from failed drug tests. This way they can easily use their own expirenced workers without the community freaking out.

47uptowngirl(117 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Drug testing is not going to go away even if marijuana is decriminalized. Businesses have the right to set their own standards. It sets the overall health and safety standard for a particular industry. Some healthcare facilities no longer hire smokers and test potential hires for nicotene which is a prefectly legal substance. I do not believe that these companies are discrimating against Valley workers, just using a screening tool for hiring which is the standard in their industry.

48OldSchool2(20 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

This valley needs to get its head out of its a$$

49ytownrunaway(4 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Anyone who thinks that addicts are "weak" or "have no will power" obviously knows nothing about addiction. By the way out of 88 counties in Ohio, Mahoning County has the most herion and oxycontin use of all. The sad thing is the YPD are afraid to go into the areas where drugs are sold and/or are paid off to leave the dealers alone. Some of you people are clueless and should not speak of what you know nothing about or choose to hide your head in the sand because it has not touched you or someone you love. I am speaking from experience. I am 53 and had a 10 year addiction. A doctor prescribed me addicting medication without informing me that there are severe withdrawals if you stop taking it. However, after trying many ways of getting clean I finally did it and now help other addicts get clean and stay clean. Mahoning County is a cesspool - when I was in town last I bought a tee shirt that says it all - it says "Youngstown (with a picture of a rifle under) Ohio - 4 Time Defending Champ - "Murder Capital of America" - '95-'97'-01-'02 - "Come Heavy or Don't Come At All!" Ytown has a bad reputation, downtown is a ghost town and you people keep voting for a coke head for Prosecutor and all the other corrupt judges and politicians. Vote them all out and you might see some changes. My family was extorted out of $7,500.00 and I can prove it. What I did instead was get the hell out of Ytown.

50LtMacGowan(668 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Freeze your urine when its clean or buy clean urine and use that in the test.