Dogs chained outside condemned to miserable, lonely lives

Published: Sun, June 3, 2012 @ 12:01 a.m.

By ELISE McKEOWN SKOLNICK

news@vindy.com

AUSTINTOWN

Typical dog items – water and food bowls, chains, and dog houses – were scattered on the grassy area in front of Family Video.

But the occupants of the dog houses on the corner of Kirk and Raccoon roads were far from typical. Four women, wearing collars that were attached to chains staked into the ground, sat in front of or laid in the dog houses.

“We’re bringing awareness to dogs that spend their entire life outside, just to try to bring awareness to the fact that it’s not a life to live,” said Carla Touville, a co-founder of Safe at Last Dog Rescue, sponsor of

Saturday’s 14-hour event.

Dogs that live chained outside run the risk of hanging themselves on their chains and typically don’t have

access to adequate shelter or food, Touville said.

Most also become aggressive, because of lack of

socialization with people and other pets, she added.

“I think a lot of times people don’t really realize how bad it truly is and they feel that it’s just OK to go ahead and put them outside,”

Touville said. “And it kind of ends their trouble because out-of-sight, out-of-mind.”

Toni Iacobacci, a co-founder of Safe at Last, said raising awareness was worth dealing with the windy weather and chilly temperatures.

“I drive past a chained dog every single day, twice a day,” Iacobacci said. “And it breaks my heart to see him out there 24/7, day in, day out, chained to a house, with a bucket of water. He watches his family walk by him every single day and they do not pet him, they do not acknowledge him, they just leave him chained to that house every single day.”

Iacobacci lost a dog, Daisy, to heartworm. She rescued Daisy from a dog pound after the small animal spent the first couple of years of her life chained outside.

“If she had not been chained outside she probably would never have contracted heartworm disease,” Iacobacci said.

Debbie Deeley, of Fowler, stopped by the event to help the organization.

“I think it’s very commendable what these people are doing,” she said. “And I love animals and someone needs to help them.”

She purchased raffle tickets and made a monetary donation to Safe at Last.

“I think these people are very special,” Deeley said. “The animals can’t speak for themselves.”

A basket auction, iPad raffle, and refreshments were included in the event. Dogs available for adoption were also present.

Safe at Last has adoption events at Family Video from 4 to 9 p.m. the first Saturday of every month.

Safe at Last Dog Rescue was founded in October 2011 to find new homes for animals from area pounds, those no longer wanted by their owners, or strays that members find.

To date, the Mahoning County-based group has found homes for more than 55 dogs and has 25 in foster homes.

For more information, go to www.safeatlast.petfinder.com http://www.safeatlast.petfinder.com/ .

Comments

1boardmanres(40 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I hate to see a dog tied and neglected. Why bother having one if that is how you treat it, kudos to this group for bringing the plight of these "pets" to our attention

2timOthy(802 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey Opinionated people ! Mine is outside and it's a Beagle . A Hunting dog ! No way and in Hell would I bring a Hunting dog in my home. One it'll mess the dogs nose up. And that means no Rabbits to KILL ! You people should use your energy against these worthless Politician's.And stay out of a DOGS LIFE. It's a DOG !!!!!

3whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I love all animals including dogs, have 3 myself, but if it came down to it, I would skin them and eat them if I had to.

People are alot like sheep, all these dogs that are killed in the slaughter houses should be offered up for meat to the poor.

No excuse though for not taking care of your pets , if you cant take care of them and spend time with them you shouldnt have them.

One more thing grammar Nazi, go to hell !!!.

4MAP1976(7 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Sometimes the truth hurts. Chaining a dog outside 24/7 for years and years is cruel, and if you do that you are an idiot! Timothy I know hunters with Beagles and their dogs live inside and are outstanding hunters. Hats off to these ladies and anyone involved with human AND/OR animal issues.

5kensgirl(538 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

A couple of years ago a friend of mine on the south side of Ytown had a neighbor who had a pit bull tied up in his back yard. It was standing in the freezing rain shaking from the cold. I called everyone I could to help this dog. FINALLY a Ytown police officer called the humane agent and he took him away (after the pos owners denied it was theirs). I called to adopt the dog and they said that I couldn't because it was a pit and thus deemed dangerous. They put him down shortly after. If I knew this would be the outcome I would have stolen him. This is not the first time I've encountered ruthless behavior from the humane agent. They always take the side of the worthless owners over a defenseless animal. Why do people think that animals are put here to ignore or abuse?

6jimmyd123(195 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Tim.. its people like u who shouldn't have a dog.

7GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Jimmyd123, My thoughts exactly.

8Joe306tow(49 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

You know, these people think they know everything about everyone. Typical Busybodies that don't look at the whole story, only what they perceive as the truth.

Did you people watch these Dogs "24/7" to see that these dogs were chained up with "NO Interaction" with humans. You claim that there was " a bucket of water" for the dogs. If NO HUMAN interacted with them how did the Bucket of water get there?

You know if you folks spent time on something that would actually help. We could find a cancer cure or end starvation in the USA.

I think you are doing this to look good to friends and family, not to actually make a difference.or is it to get donations for your so called "Dog Rescue?"

I don't believe these dogs have zero human interaction (Water Buckets), and I believe this is just a publicity stunt for your "Dog Rescue" to get donations.

9CountryGirl51(169 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow ! Some people just don't get it ! I guess you have to be a real animal lover to get it !! So Sad.....

10MAP1976(7 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Funny how the people complain and what animal folks do, actually don't do anything for anyone or anything. They are lonely bitter people. So sad.

11TNJ(1 comment)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, people sure are uneducated about animals and animal welfare.
I know several of these people in the Safe at Last Dog rescue and I can definitely say that things like this are not a publicity stunt for some random "rescue."
One of those interviewed at the event has spent numerous hours walking dogs at the pound, rescuing dogs from animal hoarders and the money raised is used to fully vet and treat abused and neglected animals in the youngstown area. This person has personally spent time with animals on the pounds 'death row' list just to ensure their last moments on this planet were not lonely. These animals have been abandoned for many reasons; family relocations, new puppy, no time, too old, no money for vet bills, mostly just lazy human beings. To donate time to these lonely and unwanted animals and know that they will be sadly put down because of neglect or abandonment is quite an emotional stressor, They still do it. Bottom line is they believe that these animals deserve happiness and security and safety regardless of their fate. 100% of the funds they raise go directly to caring for cats and dogs that they rescue from abusive situations. Some come from the pound others from local hoarders and even some that were from fighting rings. They personally provide food, water, shelter, socialization and love to these animals. They provide surgery and shots and even do much of the dirty work themselves. Deworming animals is not a fun task, hand feeding puppies that were found on the side of the road and abandoned is not fun or easy. These people have more true compassion and empathy than most people I know. They foster animals until proper homes are found and complete thorough inspections to ensure their animals are placed properly into forever homes. They deal with devastating loss and still maintain the strength to continue to raise awareness for important issues that are often ignored.
We need more people that care in the Youngstown community and maybe we could see some real change. Those that show no compassion to animals often show no compassion to humans either. It takes a very special kind of person to devote their time, energy, money and heart to any kind of cause. These people deserve front page for every event they host. With every news story they can reach more people and educate them on issues of animal abuse or neglect and educate individuals on canine behavior and how to properly care for their domesticated companions.
It is very unfortunate that there are people out there that are so misinformed about the animals they have and the community that they live in and around.
Safe at Last: Keep raising money and awareness; haters are going to hate due to their unfortunate bitterness and ignorance. Even with their negative and uneducated remarks, you still get the benefit of having your story heard.

12danikytn(242 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Take the dogs off the chains in Youngstown, and put the hoodlums on them....indeed...

13Freeatlast(1989 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Nice job guys
redeye1@ I see why you use to be married !! Just kidding :):):)
Have a nice day

14timOthy(802 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Map and jimmyd, Sorry it took me awhile to respond to your comment about me and dogs. 1st I own a farm and been around animals all my life. And your comment are lies and mis truths. All animals have ways to protect themselves. Horse's and Pigs roll in dirt and mud. Sally our Registrar beagle is out side and well. It's call shade, water, and holes they dig. While petting your friends beagle with a house nose think of that City People!