Life on chain is no life at all for dogs, group says

Published: Sat, June 2, 2012 @ 6:38 p.m.

AUSTINTOWN

Typical dog items – water and food bowls, chains, and dog houses – were scattered on the grassy area in front of Family Video.

But the occupants of the dog houses on the corner of Kirk and Raccoon roads were far from typical. Four women, wearing collars that were attached to chains staked into the ground, sat in front of or laid in the dog houses.

“We’re bringing awareness to dogs that spend their entire life outside, just to try to bring awareness to the fact that it’s not a life to live,” said Carla Touville, a co-founder of Safe at Last Dog Rescue, sponsor of Saturday’s 14-hour event.

Dogs that live chained outside run the risk of hanging themselves on their chains and typically don’t have

access to adequate shelter or food, Touville said.

Most also become aggressive, because of lack of

socialization with people and other pets, she added.

“I think a lot of times people don’t really realize how bad it truly is and they feel that it’s just OK to go ahead and put them outside,”

Touville said. “And it kind of ends their trouble because out-of-sight, out-of-mind.”

For the complete story, read Sunday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

Comments

1Ytownnative(1015 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Yea real nice "family" event at family video people chained out by the curb. Was fun to explain to the grandkids why they were chained up. I just told her the were crazy people. Is next month a PETA fundraiser where they throw blood on anyone wearing fur? Maybe get Westboro church there for a fundraiser and that idiot can speak on "family" values. Its called shock advertising and I didnt think family video would sink so low. Well my membership there is canceled.

2thinkinbt4ever(5 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

How sad that you're anti-awareness and you spread that ignorance to your innocent grandchildren. Great job Safe At Last!! Keep doing what you're doing, the dogs need as many people on their side as possible!

3Ytownnative(1015 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

there are better ways to get a point across then chaining human beings up outside a store. But for some people the ends justify the means.

4jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Good job Safe at Last. Don't let this grumpy old man put a damper on what your doing. I would be more than happy to help in any way I can. As far as Mr. Grumpy, you must have did this in the past, otherwise it would not have bothered you this much. If you can't explain to your grandchild what they were tying to do then maybe you should not have had kids. Just saying.

5boardmanres(40 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

ytown native.. do you not feel compassion or pity for the dog that sits chained in its house with no interaction but occaisonal(sic) feeding and watering... Like a neglected spouse, " I got married and now I have a wife/husband" tie them to the house and give them water and food, but no love

6Ytownnative(1015 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I have three pound dogs and a rescue cat non are chained I dont believe in chaining a dog They have a nice big fenced yard to play in and are always fed and watered. Nice days they stay out cold/hot days they stay in. The idea of using humans and comparing them to dogs is crazy. I dont know any of you but if it came down to saving my dogs or one of you there would be no choice the dogs would have to go. Do you also support pro-lifers who use the shock posters of aborted fetuses shown to the children and all? PETA and the way they are? The tree huggers and burning down houses and SUV's? The same extreme measures I USED to give to no-kill shelters but they wont get another penny from me.

7jeratboy(125 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

No dog should ever stay out. If a dog is out they should not be alone. My yard is fenced, I live in a very safe area, and I never have my dog out unless I am with him. A dog is family!
Why have a dog if you think otherwise?

8jimmyd123(196 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Ytown. It's quite clear you don't know the true meaning of owning a dog. For most of us their like a family member. I too have a dog that I rescued from a kill shelter and I would have no problem saving her before anyone other than a family member. She is more loyal to me than most people are.