Hundreds pack rally to protest Pa. voter ID law

Published: Tue, July 24, 2012 @ 2:30 p.m.

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Hundreds of people joined in a noisy rally at Pennsylvania’s state Capitol to protest the state’s new mandatory photo ID law for voting.

The protesters — union members, religious leaders and others — gathered around a 25-foot inflatable replica of the Liberty Bell at the top of the statehouse steps this afternoon. They waved signs and chanted slogans such as “Voter ID, Not for Me!”

More than two dozen people were slated to speak during the two-hour rally.

The protest comes one day before the state Commonwealth Court plans to open a hearing on a lawsuit seeking to block the law from taking effect Nov. 6, Election Day.

Similar protests are scheduled on Wednesday in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Allentown.

Comments

1DwightK(1179 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Voter fraud isn't a problem so I'm not sure why state legislatures are trying to impose a solution.

It's almost as if the people supporting this have some underlying motive. Hmmm...

2boatonerie(13 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

Really???? My mother is 84 years old, doesn't drive and doesn't even live near a bus line. SHE manages somehow to get a State ID. I have to show ID when I vote, cash a check, buy liquor, or check into a hotel. These people are truly unbelievable. How do they do anything if they have no ID?

3Attis(829 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

There is no voter fraud, but there are plenty of anti-democratic measures, now and then, designed to suppress votes from the poor and marginalized: grandfather clauses; poll taxes; literacy tests; photo voter IDs and permanent disenfranchisement for ex-cons convicted of felonies. Why not just restrict the vote to Republicans and rich folks? That would at least be honest, even if un-American (as is a photo ID requirement for voting).

4commoncitizen(943 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

boat, you hit right on the head!! Why do we need ID for everything but to vote? No wonder so many dead people in Chicago voted!!

5Jerry(441 comments)posted 1 year, 8 months ago

My perspective:

Getting and mainaining my state issued picture ID is stupid simple and is NOT too much to ask as a responsibility required to exercise my right to vote.

Keeping my voter registration up-to-date is stupid simple and is NOT too much to ask as a responsibility required to exercise my right to vote.

Finding the correct polling place and casting my ballot with everyone else on election day is stupid simple and is NOT too much to ask as a responsibility required to exercise my right to vote.

NONE of the voter registration and ID laws I have seen discussed inhibit me from exercising my right to vote in any way, and they do not concern me in the least.

The only thing that threatens my legitimate vote is the possibility of having an illegitimate vote counted, negating mine.

It seems to me that anyone who argues otherwise must have a different agenda. Hmmmmmm