- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -

« News Home

Air conditioners, electric-bill help offered by agencySFlb

Published: Mon, July 23, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Staff report


The Mahoning- Youngstown Community Action Partnership will schedule appointments for the home energy assistance/summer crisis program through its voice mail system at 866-223-1125 at its new location at 1325 Fifth Ave. on the North Side.

The summer crisis program runs until Aug. 31.

A disconnection notice is not required, and a limited number of air conditioners will be provided.

Income-eligible applicants can receive a one-time electric assistance payment up to $250 and/or an air conditioner. Income-eligible people of at least 60 years of age do not need a prescription to receive either benefit. But anyone under the age of 60 must have physician documentation stating that someone in their household would benefit medically to receive an air conditioner and must not have received one in the last three years.

Physician letters or prescriptions must be dated within 30 days of the appointment.

Income-eligible households with a disconnection notice can receive a one-time electric assistance payment up to $250.

Residents with a tenant-based Section 8 housing subsidy are eligible if the electric bill is in their name. Section 8 tenants applying for an air condition need a statement from their landlord that the air conditioner will be theirs to take upon moving.

But residents of a licensed-medical facility — a hospital, skilled nursing facility or intermediate care facility — as well as a publicly-operated community residences, boarding/rooming houses, and group homes of emergency shelters are not eligible.

Applicants must report their total household income for the past three months. Potential customers are encouraged to apply if their household income is equal to or less than 200 percent of the federal poverty line.

Each applicant must also provide gas and electric bills, proof of income, a photo identification for all household members 18 years of age and older, and Social Security numbers for all household members for in-person interviews. Disabled customers must present proof of disability.


1southsidedave(5189 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Public assistance agencies provide everything these days...just show up and see what freebies you can collect.

Suggest removal:

2dawn421(265 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

so if i dont have a medical card and am under 60 i cant get an air conditioner? ok well call the rest on their gov cell phones and tell them when they can pick it up. this is bull

Suggest removal:

3taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Yaayy! I can get my electric bill paid?? oh, no...wait, I have NO INSURANCE (since my hours were cut) and I have a JOB! got my hopes up there for a minute

Suggest removal:

4Traveler(606 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Once again we see they government is encouraging people not to work. Now the urban youngstown wont have to worry about paying the electric bill. The can devote more time dealing drugs and killing each other

Suggest removal:

5lee(544 comments)posted 3 years, 11 months ago

Is this a good use for the money you steal from me? I don't think so if you want an A/C unit go buy one, that's what most of us do .

Suggest removal:


HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2016 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes