Romney: Obama casts shame on success

Published: Wed, July 18, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Associated Press

IRWIN, Pa.

Mitt Romney on Tuesday accused President Barack Obama of believing the government is more vital to a thriving economy than the nation’s workers and dreamers, scrambling to get back on message by declaring of Obama, “I’m convinced he wants Americans to be ashamed of success.”

The new Romney approach came as Democrats pressed for the release of more of Romney’s tax returns and hounded the Republican candidate over discrepancies in when he left his private equity firm. The conservative magazine National Review urged Romney to release more of his tax records.

Obama has been trying to keep Romney focused on matters other than the sluggish economy, even releasing a single-shot TV ad Tuesday that suggests Romney gamed the system so well that he may not have paid any taxes at all for years.

As the campaign’s tenor grew combative, Romney seized on comments Obama uttered while campaigning in Virginia last week. The president, making a point about the supportive role government plays in building the nation, said in part: “Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

Obama added: “The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

The challenger pounced.

“To say that Steve Jobs didn’t build Apple, that Henry Ford didn’t build Ford Motors, that Papa John didn’t build Papa John Pizza ... To say something like that, it’s not just foolishness,” Romney said from a campaign rally outside Pittsburgh. “It’s insulting to every entrepreneur, every innovator in America.”

Romney added: “I tell you this. I’m convinced that he wants Americans to be ashamed of success.”

Comments

1300(573 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

What utter lack of education Mitt has. Truly successful people should realize that it's always a combination of a number of aspects that result in financial, or entrepreneurial, success.

For this theory of "I'm the greatest, I did everything on my own" to work, just ask the question: Could Steve Jobs or the others have done the same if they were living in Cambodia? Or Libya? Of course not, successful entrepreneurs need a stable government (or in Russia's case, a large personal army) to protect what they've built.

It's such a glaring personality flaw to be so insecure that one can't acknowledge that everyone's received benefits from outside sources before they became successful. Also, for some to have to publicly state that they're "successful" really is a sign of a very poor upbringing.

2peacelover(799 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

He lives in a country whose stable government enabled his success yet he makes sure he puts his fortune in places where he won't have to pay any taxes on it. Atta boy Mitt. That's the spirit.

3300(573 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Not to mention, Apple isn't the best example to illustrate his point. The PC was developed out of previous technology and equipment, all of which was either military or university created.

If the state never built any roads, where exactly would Ford's vehicles have been driven? As far as Papa John's goes, I don't know its history, but I'd be willing to bet that it would turn to the state to enforce its protected image if someone else opened a pizza shop by the same name.

This whole debate, the fact that some need to call themselves "creators" is symptomatic of their personality disorders. He really should've just been happy with his hundreds of millions of dollars, but his insecurities push him to try to get control over others via political routes. Businessmen should typically stay in the business world where there is no democracy, and very little human rights or dignity playing a role. The same way politicians should typically stay in the political world rather than entering private business.

There's nothing wrong with being a businessman, I'm one. But government is about ensuring people's voice, not leveraging a hostile takeover. In other words, businessmen in government should be the exception, not what people should want to have.

4jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The above messages are typical of the Youngstown mindset. The gist of their thinking is that since we have a stable government, and all that goes with it, that's why people are successful. According to that kind of thinking, everyone should be successful.
Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Robert Fulton, Eli Whitney etc. should be lumped in with the ordinary Joe that walks the streets of Youngstown.
I wonder what differentiates someone who lives in the inner city, of Youngstown, from one who lives in a $400,000 home in Poland? Maybe it's the streets or bridges that the successful man walks on.

5furor(7 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The shame of success can only be disinfected with high taxation.

6walter_sobchak(2056 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

We are all born equal; after that, the race is on. Equality of outcomes cannot and should not be guaranteed. But, class warfare and hating those that have more is an easy sell, especially to the simple-minded people. Barry Soetoro does not understand that the power rests with the people and govt is to be limited. He believes that everything is in control of the govt and what you get is what they allow you to keep.

7jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey gdog, what does you subject have to do with the subject at hand?

8300(573 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Out of curiosity, Juggie, how many times have you had to go to court for contract enforcement? Over the years, my LLC's have had 20 or so occasions where we've needed to take someone to court. That's government.

I'll also add that nothing differentiates someone from other based on home values. If anything, maybe an upside-down mortgage separates them, but we're all human, and we each get 1 vote when it comes to politics. If you feel the need to pat yourself on the back because you live in a nicer home in Poland, I suppose that's cheaper than seeing shrink. But, I'd point out, there are those who live in much nicer homes than that. Are those people better than you?

9sam_carter(119 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

It seems like the republican rhetoric is all opaque philosophical. A bunch of fancy words that mean nothing practical. Government is bad. Govt limits success. Power to the people. Whats so big and bad about govt? We still need police, fire, teachers, soldiers, the roads fixed and the mail delivered. Do you people not want those services?
Obama has proven to be a man of action. GM Lordstown is still open and pumping money in our local economy. bin laden is dead. We are digging out of the 2008 depression.
Why do you guys still insist on bringing this man down?

10jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I have never taken anyone to court.
As far as GM is concerned. GM still owes the Govt 25 B that will never be repaid. And, the UAW there now owns 17% of GM yet they never bought any land, didn't build any buildings, didn't buy any machinery.
GE CEO, Jeffery Immelt, the head of BO's Jobs Council, just announced that they are moving their 115 yr old X-ray unit to Beijing. Should we blame that on BO?
Also, GE now employs 36,000 more people overseas than in the US. Should blame that on BO?
You guys are listening to BO's ads about Bain & Romney sending jobs overseas. You must remember that advertising is effective lying.
Bain, & companies like them,invest in distressed companies. Most of these companies make out well, but some don't. If you guys got rid of companies like Bain, our economy would come to a halt.
When was the last time, former, 3 great cities like Cleveland, Detroit, & Youngstown, last, had a repub Mayor?
By the way, I have never lived in Poland.

11DSquared(1447 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Typical Stalinist rhetoric from the left. The only business Obama ever ran was selling "weed" to his Choom buddies!

12cambridge(3189 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

jojuggie....what is it with you people, no matter how many times someone proves what you are saying is BS you just keep posting it anyway.

Since you seem to cut and paste your comments I went back and found my reply the last time I read that comment, so I'll cut and paste my reply.

jojuggie.....I know exactly how much 25 billion is. It's how much bush spent in Iraq every two months for six and a half years.

The UAW got 17% of GM in lew of benefits. You can read all about it in the link below. You're welcome.

13jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely, not.
Getting back to cambridge - in the website he posted 1 sentence that stands out. "But in 2009, the car companies were on the brink. They had no cash to put into the fund. The alternative:company stock." Isn't that a shame. The companies were up against it & instead of the union giving in, it was the companies that had to give in. Maybe the benefits were too damm good. I'm sure that if the companies would not have given in, there would have been a strike. I'm sick & tired of the goings on with the UAW. In my lifetime I have never bought a foreign car. I have bought 27 brand new cars - mostly GM, but I'm telling you my neighbors foreign cars are looking mighty good.

14DSquared(1447 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Another Green Energy company with stimulus money goes belly-up today. How many does that make now? We've lost count. Over 2.2 Billion Dollars of Stimulus money for Wind Energy outsourced to Foreign countries by esteemed "Businessman" Barry Obama! Four more years of this and we will become an economic juggernaut in the likes of Cuba! Can you say "Si se puede?"

15BabaGhanoush(106 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

FLHT..."
Also, i never see an answer to the question. Would you rather that GM Lordstown be closed?"

How about an answer to a real question,
Should the laws be followed or not?

We have two hundred years of Bankruptcy Law.
There are two choices for business: Chap. 7 and Chap. 11.
No one ever suggested that any part of GM be liquidated.
Chap 11 provides for certain procedures that would break all agreements and start from scratch.
All contracts would be subject to be broken.
Secured creditors come before unsecured creditors.

Obama took the law into his own hands and turned the law on its head. The bondholders that held 79% were relegated to the back of the bus with 29%.

There's a right way and there's a democrat way. As long as the means justify the ends.

BTW GM paid back government debt with government funds.

16cambridge(3189 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

jojuggie....The point is that you post over and over again that the UAW got 17% of GM and you post in a way that says they got it for nothing. That is not the case. They gave up benefits that GM was not in the position to pay at this time so they got stock instead. I doubt that any UAW member would rather give up their benefits. They made a sacrifice so GM and their jobs would carry on. I have no doubt that you would be so much happier if GM went out of business but that didn't happen so you should just get over it.

Now getting back to that 25 billion you're so worried about. Remember, the same amount bush spent in Iraq every two months for six and a half years? You remember bush don't you? He's the one who proposed the auto loans to begin with. He's the guy you voted for twice, right?

17300(573 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I think this debate boils down to those with a narrow understanding of how the world works vs. those with a broad understanding. No one is saying that individual hard work isn't needed or that the government is the only reason why someone's successful. Absolutely NO ONE is saying that.

What we're saying is that it takes a basket of aspects that leads to success, and government is one of them.

Simple minded rhetoric like "government's not the answer it's the problem" is patently ridiculous. Nobody with an ounce of thought would buy into such a statement. Government plays a role in helping to build the environment which allows a business a strive. It also protects the population from unscrupulous business practices, such as some businessman who keeps all the profits but pollutes the area around him.

If people like Jojuggie can't understand this, then I really don't know how else to phrase it.

18jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

What kind of mumbo-jumbo is "a basket of aspects & the Govt is one?"
A very famous American once said "The 9 most terrifing words in the English language are I'm from the Govt & I'm here to help."
What BO said is being trashed on TV, local, & natl newspapers, and it's not favorable for him.
His statement about success in America is going down, in history, with another famous statement by Pelosi, "We must pass the bill to see what's in it."
In a recent interview, on TV, one of the founders, of Home Depot, said he could not go into business today with all of the regulations necessary to start a business.
About 40-45 yrs ago US Steel wanted to build the most modern steel plant in the world, on the shores of Lake Erie, in Ashtabula County, at a cost of 2 Bill. After about 2 yrs and securing every permit possible, they still were required to get many more permits, so they scrapped the project. Think we could have used that today?

19DSquared(1447 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The" once helpful US Government" is now out of control AND money. It has become a monster on steroids and if Imam Obama is given four more years, we will look worse than Cuba! (By his design!) He!!, he will probably build a wall to keep taxpayers from escaping.

20300(573 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Honestly, you don't understand what I wrote?

I really have to question your intelligence at this point. Not because you might have a different opinion, but because you don't seem to be able to understand a pretty basic sentence.

Back in the 80s and early 90s I voted GOP. I stopped in 1994 when Newt was rising up. My impression was that the GOP had quit being the party which represented the educated and intellectual, and had thrown its support behind the uneducated and anti-intellectual (what was at the time the Democrats in Youngstown).

This justifies my switch. The GOP of today is largely Juggie/Redeye types. When a political party gets the majority of its support from the ignorant, it's time to vote for another party. If what I wrote is "mumbo-jumbo" then I know I'm dealing with someone who isn't educated. Someone who's not educated deserves respect just as much as the next man, but he's certainly not someone with whom it's worth having a conversation.

21jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Good RIDDANCE, 300. I certainly did understand what you wrote. I wonder if you understand what I wrote.
You said I'm uneducated. Also, in one of your previous messages, you stated "What utter lack of education Mitt has."
Mitt graduated from Harvard Law & Business Schools, Cum Laude.
'nuff said.

22DSquared(1447 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

The Democrat Party lost it's way in the 60's when it embraced LBJ's Great Society and became the "Sugar Daddy" to the far-left Pro-Abortion, Anti-Family, pro-Socialist stance. They tore apart the family (by design) to enslave them to the scraps thrown to them from "Big-Hearted" Liberals who know whats best for them . They have dumbed down the general public by way of the public schools, and in the last 4 years have lowered the expectations of the newest generations to those of the former Soviet Block underclass who pititfully accepted standing in line for a three day old loaf of bread All for the sake of power and an eternal voting block.

23jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I couldn' answer your message last night because I spent the night watching the Fox News channel. Oreilly ( you know, the program that has been #1, in cable news for 12 straight years) had an especially great program. Miller was at his best.
Wikipedia lists a number of Quails, for example - there is a California Quail, Common Quail, Gambel Quail, and a Japanese Quail. I was wondering which one are you?

24cambridge(3189 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

jojuggie....Now that we know what's causing your hallucinations there is a chance of recovery. You should seek counseling.

25jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

For more reading material, you should read Oreilly's "Killing Lincoln." Over 2 M copies sold. A fantastic book.
Many people, on this message board, use the word intellectual & highly educated & think they are same. I think otherwise. They may be better defined as pseudo-intellectual.

26jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Quail, I have been retired for almost 29 yrs..I do my reading & charitable work during the day, and relax watching our Tampa Bay Rays or tha Fox News Channel at night.
I was just wondering if any of you Occupy Youngstowners are coming to the RNC to join the anarchists who swore all h--- will break loose during the RNC. I don't think there will be many Repubs here at that time.

27jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

28jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Commoncitzen. Maybe you should be named.COMMONSENSE.

29jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

This is "tounge in check." Evidently Education in your handle is not a clue.

In times of strife, the Gov't doesn't say I'm here to help. They just do it.

30jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh Education, I didn't answer your 1st question, Yes, we spent 29 happy years years in the Youngstown area and still have connections there, but I feel bad for the area and what it has become. At one time the St Dominic area was a very stable place to live, but not today.
At one time, driving N from Midlothian wasn't bad, but today you had better make sure you are up on your life Ins premiums.
It's getting to be that way from R224 N.
It seems that the trend is to move S of Western Res Rd.
We still visit one a year to be with loved ones.
We have been gone for 20 years.

31jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Education, you're making a "mountain out of a molehill."
What I quoted was a Reaganism. There were many. I will give you a handful, and skip the quotation marks.

Here's my strategy for the Cold War; we win they lose.

Of the 4 wars in my lifetime none came about because the US was too strong.

If we forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

The nearest thing to eternal life, on this earth, is a Govt program.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.

etc. etc.

32TylerDurden(367 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"Intelligent, liberal minded thinkers spend more of their time reading and learning from far more substantive, informed sources."

That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. I know many many liberals and they do not read and are devoid of logic. Of course, I know many many republicans and the same goes for them as well, but to truly believe your "party" is vastly superior in the intelligence and education categories really takes any substance away from what you post.

The Tyler

33BabaGhanoush(106 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"Earlier, I clearly stated that I am "a fiscal conservative, who moonlights as a social liberal,"

That would make you a libertarian, wouldn't it?

34jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

"I am a fiscal CONSERVATIVE who moonlights as a social liberal."
That's a oxymoron if I ever heard one.

THE SHADOW

35GoPens(397 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

@jojuggie
There are hundred's of more credible books on Lincoln then O'Reilly's comical attempt. In fact the National Parks Service found so many inaccuracies that they recommended that The Ford's Theater bookstore not even put the book on its shelves

36jojuggie(1602 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

That's hard to believe, Go.
The Natl Park Sv is a Govt dept. We have a Dem at president. C'mon, man.
Tell me another tale. Over 2M sold & still on the best seller list.

37southsidedave(5028 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Politics as usual...all talk, nothing acomplished

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.