Teen drowns in club pool

Published: Tue, July 10, 2012 @ 12:05 a.m.

liberty

Valley’s 3rd drowning victim, others illegally entered private facility

By Danny RESTIVO

drestivo@vindy.com

LIBERTY

A 17-year-old’s drowning death was the third in separate incidents in the Mahoning Valley over the weekend.

Police said Bruce Banks, of Fairgreen Avenue in Youngstown, died shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday.

He and several adults illegally entered Logan Swim and Tennis Club, 3245 Logan Way, earlier in the morning, Liberty police said.

Based on the witnesses statements, all the individuals jumped in the pool before they noticed Banks motionless at the bottom.

After a 911 call, Liberty police arrived at 4:23 a.m. and observed three people trying to remove Banks from the water.

Liberty fire units tried to resuscitate Banks and transported him to ValleyCare Northside Medical Center in Youngstown, where he was pronounced dead a few hours later.

Preliminary findings by the Mahoning County Coroner’s office show no signs of alcohol or drugs in Banks’ system, or any physical trauma to his body, said forensic pathologist Dr. Joseph Ohr, the county’s deputy coroner. He said Banks did not have any signs of medical issues.

Criminal trespassing charges will be filed for all individuals who illegally entered the pool, Liberty police Chief Richard J. Tisone said.

Tisone believes as many as seven people were at the private club at one point, while only four were there when the drowning occurred.

“Bruce was sort of a tough- love guy, but he loved everyone,” said brother Brett Banks. “He was a nice kid to be around, and he always made you laugh.”

Bruce Banks attended Youngstown East High School and was a member of the 2010 football team, before he began home-schooling last year, he said.

Kristen Rock, president of the Logan Swim and Tennis Club board, said she was contacted by police Saturday morning shortly after the incident occurred.

She was told by police the people with Banks climbed a fence surrounding the pool. She saw no signs of forced entry.

The club has been open since 1967 and has never had a drowning, Rock said.

“We feel horrible about the tragedy,” she said.

Police are still investigating.

Meanwhile, the Mahoning County coroner’s office has identified the 26-year-old Canton man drowned in Berlin Lake over the weekend as Cory Lowder.

Lowder was declared dead at 2:24 p.m. Saturday at St. Elizabeth Health Center.

Dr. Ohr said an autopsy revealed no evidence of Lowder being entangled in something or hitting his head on the bottom of the lake.

He also said there is no evidence of a medical issue, such as stroke or heart attack, that would have caused Lowder to drown.

Dr. Ohr said there was no smell of alcohol, but results of toxicology tests, and thus final cause, are several weeks away. Lowder had just eaten, but there is no evidence that had anything to do with his drowning, the deputy coroner added.

“My understanding is that Lowder had a child on his back and was swimming to a sandbar when Lowder started to struggle,” Dr. Ohr said.

Several people helped rescue Lowder’s 5-year-old nephew.

On Saturday, police used boats to recover the body of a 21-year-old Amish man in Mosquito lake, after he had jumped into the water from a boat to cool off.

Eli Miller Jr. of Middlefield did not surface after he entered the water.

Comments

1dnajones(4 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

This boy wasn't an idiot. He was a smart, talented, kind young man who made a stupid mistake that cost him his life. How many mistakes did we make when we were young that didn't turn out so tragically? My sympathy goes out to his wonderful family who are suffering so much right now.

2kensgirl(625 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

This kid shouldn't have drown. He shouldn't have been out at that hour to begin with. Where was his mother? I've done stupid things when I was young believe me. We all did. But at an ungodly hour anything can happen. God bless his soul. Very tragic.

3kensgirl(625 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Very sad indeed.

4DwightK(1268 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Thi si ssad and my condolences go out to the family. DNAjones above is correct. We've all done stupid things and been lucky. There's no reason to insult this young man.

5DwightK(1268 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

This is sad and my condolences go out to the family. DNAjones above is correct. We've all done stupid things and been lucky. There's no reason to insult this young man.

6EDGE(2 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

This is the first time I've ever posted. Lumper you're an idiot. I did not know this boy personally, however several boys that I coached at YCS knew this boy very well, including my son. Bruce was everyone's biggest supporter and fan. These kids didn't do anything that we adults haven't done during the dog day heats in our days. They jumped a fence to go swimming. BIG DEAL, I wish this was the worst thing that takes place overnight. The police will do what they have to do, this is not a big crime for them, but because it is coupled with a horrible accident, they have to follow all the protocols. I'm sure they have a perspective on this better then you do. I am also a police officer of 29 years. But to stay on point, this was an accident that took the life of a good young man. I know one of his friends that was there that night. He's devastated. By the time anyone knew that their friend was in distress, it was to late.

All you people can condemn the mother, the friends, Pres Bush, Pres Obama and anyone else you want, you idiots, these are good kids that went to take a dip and things went horribly wrong. By the way, they don't have the luxury of a swimming pool in every other backyard or 8 out of 10 of their friends' homes to go swim at.

7dnajones(4 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

I know where his mother is now and she's mourning this loss considerably, and I'm sure whatever we might think about blame, she's thinking it three times harder. My mom sure as heck didn't know where I was at that hour when I said I was at slumber parties with my friends some thirty years ago. No room for blame here. Peace to his soul and to his family.

8shawnc617(4 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Be carefull casting stones! Karma can be wicked!

Right or wrong someone it still dead! A family is now broken!

Only a coward will post nasty things behind a screen name!

9walter_sobchak(1926 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

EDGE,
While I agree on most of your points, I would classify this as a tragedy, not an accident. The swim club erects a fence to keep people and things from accidently getting into their pool. When youths climb over that fence, it is no longer an unintentional act or an accident. It is the imprudence of youth. We view these events through eyes as responsible (hopefully) adults, not as crazy kids. I look back and wonder how I survived those years unscathed. I mean, the kids were out late at night and they were getting into mischielf, not hard-core felonies! SO SAD!

10Westsider(224 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Such a shame - my condolences to the family. This will serve as an unfortunate reminder to all that a split second poor decision can have tragic consequences.

11commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

I feel sorry for the family BUT I hope no lawyer tries to get them to sue the swim club.

12disgustedjoker(46 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree, Edge. These people are absolutely ridiculous to point fingers at this poor mother. My guess is that she was probably home sleeping, thinking her child was safe and sound in bed or at another friends house at a sleepover. I can bet my life that she didnt give permission to sneak out and jump a fence to go night swimming!!! Kids will be kids and they dont always tell the truth. I PROMISE each and every parent that their child has also told some lies to them through the years. Just thank god their lies didnt end up this way. Its tough being a parent these days. You cant lock your child up in his room and you cant sleep with your eyes open! I can guarantee that there was no parental consent to this behavior. It was a split second mistake that ended tragically!

13HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

lumper, you don't know this young man was an "idiot" because you don't know what really happened that night at that pool. when you're young, you think you're infallible. don't insult the young man, don't insult his mother, and please don't insult his friends. you apparently never lost a loved one or you wouldn't be so vicious and irresponsible with your words. RIP Bruce Banks...May the choir of Angels greet you and may you have eternal rest.

14shawnc617(4 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Lumper your an idiot!
Fact- his friends pulled him out! They did not let him down.

15disgustedjoker(46 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Are you kidding me? At 4 a.m. good kids are at home??? ALL kids sneak out!!! If you think differently, you're living in a dream world! ALL kids do dumb things that could have turned ugly like this. I dont know any of these kids but for you to assume that they are thugs and bad kids is just irresponsible. Unless you chain them to their beds at night, I guarantee they will sneak at night. Is it right, no.. does it make them "bad kids", absolutely not.

16RyanK(1 comment)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Lumper - you are an idiot. Who are you to go out and say that he's stupid when you don't know him or the situation?

Bruce has been one of my best friends ever since I was young. We always had fun, especially during recess at school. We would all gather around and play a big game of football everyday. Bruce is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and I'm sure anyone would agree. He's also got a great personality, which is what made him such a good friend. He always had your back.

Bruces' mom is also one of (if not) the nicest woman I have ever met. She loved Bruce dearly and also her other son, Brett.

Bruce, I just wanna say thank you. Thank you for being my friend, though the thick and thin. You were always there for me, and I wish I could have been there for you. I know you're enjoying yourself now. Watch over all of us. We love and miss you.

-Ryan

17southsidedave(4786 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

The adults this young man was with should have known better. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. Bruce Banks R.I.P.