President Obama expected to make campaign stop in Mahoning County

Published: Tue, July 3, 2012 @ 12:08 a.m.

President Obama expected to make campaign stop in Mahoning County

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

President Barack Obama is expected to make a campaign stop Friday in Mahoning County as part of his two-day bus tour through northern Ohio and western Pennsylvania, according to a source with information about the event.

The campaign is looking for a place in the county for an early Friday event before Obama crosses the border into Pennsylvania later that day for a rally in Pittsburgh, the source told The Vindicator on Monday.

This is the same source that correctly told the newspaper about the May 16 date of Vice President Joe Biden’s campaign visit to Youngstown and knew about Obama’s two Thursday stops before the campaign announced the locations Monday.

The president could end up in Boardman.

Boardman Police Chief Jack Nichols said his department received a call to send an officer to a meeting last Thursday in Fairlawn, an Akron suburb, to discuss logistics of a potential visit by Obama to Boardman.

The Secret Service didn’t have an issue with Boardman, but officials with the campaign didn’t make a commitment, Nichols said.

“We’ll see what happens,” the chief said.

David Betras, the county Democratic Party chairman, said he could neither confirm nor deny the president’s visit to the area.

On Monday, the Obama campaign would confirm only the president’s two-day bus tour would take him to the grounds of the Wolcott House Museum in Maumee, near Toledo, on Thursday morning and to James Day Park in Parma later that day. The location of the president’s stops Friday could come as early as today.

For Obama’s bus to get from Parma to western Pennsylvania, it has to go through Mahoning, Trumbull, Columbiana or Ashtabula counties.

During Obama’s Thursday events, he will “celebrate the American worker” and “will talk about his efforts over the last three years to get our economy back on track — from saving the auto industry, investing in manufacturing and bringing jobs back to America,” according to the campaign.

The events are free and open to the public, but tickets are required for entrance.

If Obama, a Democrat, comes to the Mahoning Valley, it would be his first re-election visit to the area.

He made two noncampaign stops as president — September 2009 at the Lordstown General Motors complex and May 2010 at V&M Star, which is undergoing a $650 million expansion project at its Youngstown location.

During the 2008 campaign, Obama came to the Valley two times before he lost the Ohio Democratic primary to Hillary Rodham Clinton, now his secretary of state. After the primary, Obama campaigned three times in the Valley.

Comments

1chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Wondering if David will receive a one-on-one interview opportunity like Mitt gave him or will he get the Biden snub. Perhaps he will be heading up theh local reporter's pool.

Can't wait for his next incisve report on this ongoing news story.

2Knightcap(695 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

"The private sector is doing fine".

3lee(544 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Looking for a place in the country, Boardman???

4exlonghorn(35 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Another round of kool-aid!!

5fcb(320 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

I would love to get a quick look at the President of The United States of America! It's hard to correct the mistakes of eight years of the Bush administrations in just three years. however,the auto industry (GM Lordstown) is running strong,because of this man.Bin Laudon is dead because of this man and some very brave Navy Seals.I'am a registered Republican but my vote will go to our President this November. Please do some research on Mitt Romney before you make your decision.

6CongressWatcher(157 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Please remember to thank President Obama for signing the bill that shut down a local business that employed thousands in the State of Ohio. He will soon sign the highway bill which believe it or not classifies Roll Your Own shops as cigarette manufacturers. Be sure to thank President Obama if you or one of your family members or friends is/was employed in that business.

7borylie(790 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

fcb,
As a registered republican,what campaign promises that then Sen. Obama made,do you like the best? One of my favorites is his ability to bring the country together and to quit business as usual in Washington.

8walter_sobchak(1893 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Ask Barack Hussein Obama what it feels like to have enabled the largest tax increase ever on the American people. Then, ask him what it is like to be a Nobel Peace Prize winner having a personal "kill" list!

9DOLE2(594 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Celebrate the American worker? Is this really happening.....

10AtownAugie(697 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

The Obama-Biden campaign calls it the "Betting on America" tour -- touring on the bus he had made special in Canada for him. Y'think he might stop by Lordstown to show if off?

11GnomeMad(22 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Why do I even bother reading the comments here? Just the same old airbags with the same old tired name-calling, insults and right-wing "talking points". It's fools like you (and your counterparts on the left) that are the reason there is no chance for civil discourse, compromise or even the remotest chance of ever getting anything accomplished in a bipartisan manner.

Take a look around your homes and figure up how many thousands of dollars of Chinese-made goods you own. Take a look at your investments and see how much of those investments end up going into overseas production of goods that are then imported to the U.S. -- or exported to places U.S. made goods *used* to get exported (back when we actually *made* stuff).

The economy (for those not in the "1%") has been more-or-less stagnant since 1973, yet corporate profits have grown astronomically. How many Republicans have been in charge since then? Hmmm... Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Reagan, Bush, Bush II, Bush II.

Go ahead and vote for Romney. The only "trickling down" you're gonna get from him and his party's "solutions" are them peeing on your shoes and telling you it's raining.

12borylie(790 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Gnome,
Since you obviously bother reading these posts,why complain?
Pres. Bush II, inherits dot.com bubble burst and the start of a recession, but knew how to get us out of that potential mess. 4% unemployment,14,000 DOW and all was ok until the democrats took over the house and senate in 2006.
I'm not sure if I'm one of your same old airbags(isn't that name calling?),but check my posts and I don't insult people. So calling me a fool and an airbag is exactly how going to help civil discourse? Thanks for the lecture. I see you only have 14 posts,I hope your goal is 15 posts.

13ailierdroit(105 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I would go there and hold up some signs of sarcasm....."Tax Me More, Please!?"....."I want the entitlement of paying for my neighbor's health care!"......."I want my children to have more than two legal parents, should I end up in jail!"......."You are the SO in Solar!"....."Show me your triceps, Michelle!"

14REDNECKHILLBILLY(2 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

All of you people that think you are republicans please go and try and play golf and have a drink with a real 1%er and see how far you get.

15peggygurney(392 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm neither republican nor democrat. What I am, is B R O K E thanks in large part to our illustrious president.

BTW - who can afford to play golf? Not this single mom of a child with autism who can't afford healthcare for myself but will be FORCED to get it or be penalized with a tax. Excuse me while I go try to find that money somewhere in my $109 per week payheck.

Yep, thanks Mr. President.

16theoldwrench(240 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

peggy if you only make 6k a year your not paying tax (fed) and you are eligble for IEC. how do you pay for your childs healthcare Explain why you will have to pay a penalty But you won't since it's not true.

17GnomeMad(22 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, jojuggie. I really don't give a crap what imaginary friend you believe in. That's your business and has nothing to do with the business of government -- especially a secular government that holds NO religion above another (at least on paper).

You and your closed-minded buddies may dominate the Vindy comment section (probably because reasonable people get turned off by ill-informed idiots who can't seem to back up their positions without resorting to childish name-calling or making wild claims based on internet rumors or party-supplied unchecked "facts" without anything to back them up), but thankfully there aren't enough of you and your kind to make a difference at the polls. You know... where it matters.

I hope you and your friends have a great time blowing smoke up each others' asses (you may want to pull your heads out of your own asses first, though).

I've got better things to do than argue with a bucket of rocks.

18Klink(36 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Obama has almost doubled the stock market since he took office. Has any President ever doubled the market in one term?

19Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

He's got my 25 votes

20tburk1(30 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Gnome... Love your post...

21Klink(36 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

JoJu - Facts are facts. He took the market from the 6,000's to over 12,000. Not sure what facts you are looking at.

22borylie(790 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

All you lib/democrats,you need us republican/conservatives,we don't need you. Fund all your social programs with your own money. Us conservatives/republicans will continue to help people because we want to,not because we're being forced to.
One thing we all have in common is wanting to help people. You know then we all feel good. The difference is liberals/dems want to do it with someone else's money,effort and sacrifice.

23Klink(36 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Thats around a 62% increase not 38%. Its the increase from where it started. It did take him a few months to stop the market free fall, but he did unquestionably reverse the downfall of the market. The only President to have a market increase over 100% was Clinton in his first term 111% increase followed by a 55% increase in his second term.

24GnomeMad(22 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Me as the "resident philosopher"? Why, thank you! Philosophers do tend to spend a lot of time thinking about things and using logic to come to conclusions. Unlike many here.

As for me saying before that I don't know why I come here... true. But I come to Vindy.com to read the local news -- not your blather. It's just that sometimes I accidentally scroll too far down the page and end up reading a comment or two (kinda like stepping in a pile of dog crap while enjoying a walk through Mill Creek Park). Most of the time I just shake my head and say "eh... to each his own". But then there are days when I'm just fed up with all the chest-thumping from people on both sides who are so entrenched in their beliefs that there's no room for debate -- "you're either with us, or you're not a 'real' American".

I'm more than willing to listen to and consider what Republicans have to say -- if they actually bring real ideas to the table and aren't foaming at the mouth when they share them. I'm not stupid enough to think that the only good ideas come from Democrats. But when you come across as a rabid wingnut... sorry... you may have the best idea in the world, but I'm not going to hear it because I generally ignore the rants of the deluded.

There... the meanie has spoken.

25borylie(790 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Rustedhulk,
Until the real media,the real news sources do their job,we'll continue on the path you've described. This our only hope that enough people get educated on what's really happening in this country and can stop the politicians from owning us. The politicians use the rich for their money and the poor to buy their votes with all the social programs,in place or promised.

26GnomeMad(22 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Point taken, rustedhulk. At least I refrained from using "Repugs" or "Mittens". ;-)

It's no secret I'm a Democrat (though I have voted for Republicans here and there at the local and state levels). It's also no secret that I'm a progressive liberal, though there are some issues where I'm more in line with conservatives. But most importantly, I'm a pragmatist and a realist.

And I'm with you on the need for personal improvement. I'm also all for personal responsibility. What I'm not for is letting people hang out to dry.

By government control and dependency (and by your previous posts), I'm assuming you're referring to the ACA?

Well, I support the ACA even though I wanted it to go further to establish a single payer, universal, Medicare-for-everyone plan. But I also know that a universal plan would never fly, so we have the ACA as it stands. Both sides seem to agree on just about everything it does except how it's paid for. Everybody wants pre-existing conditions covered, every child covered (either on their parent's plan or through SCHIP), etc.... But that can only be done if everybody participates -- like Romney did in MA with a mandate. The Republicans want to throw the whole thing out and start over. Again.

From what I've read, the mandate/tax penalty would apply to only a very small percentage of people. The tax credits for buying your own coverage are paid upfront, not when you file your taxes (and the IRS will issue a refund if you didn't receive the upfront subsidy). Nobody will be sent to jail for not paying the penalty -- future tax refunds will be docked. Small businesses will receive substantial tax credits for covering their employees (who should be covered no matter what -- healthy employees are only good for business, plus it's just the right thing to do). Companies already providing benefits will be able to do so cheaper, and companies that aren't will be finally be able to provide affordable benefits their employees deserve.

I know in my case, I was uninsured for the better part of my adult life, so the only time I went for care was in an emergency. Since the problems I now have weren't detected early and treated while still manageable -- which they would have been if I had affordable access to healthcare -- I'm now basically unemployable due to health issues.

With ACA, I could go back to work and would either continue to be eligible for Medicaid (since the income threshold would be raised) or would receive coverage from my employer, regardless of the mess my health is in. Without it, I'm essentially locked out of the workforce. And I like working.

And as much as I'd like to ask Obama or Romney to give me a check for my vote (cash would be better, I'd think), I'd rather have a job and health benefits and to me Obama is the one fighting for both.

27GnomeMad(22 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Just trying to get it off my shoe, toycannon. If some of it gets on you while I'm scraping it off, well... duck.

And yes, I'd rather have a job. The problem (for me) is that there are jobs out there for what I do, but because of my pre-existing and continuing health issues, potential employers would see their group rates jump because I would be "contaminating" their risk pool. I'd be happy to take a job without benefits, but that would raise our household income to where we'd no longer qualify for Medicaid -- so my wife and I would lose our insurance -- and for someone in my condition, that's just not an option.

8% isn't a great number, but it could have been much worse and from the numbers I've been seeing it seems to be improving -- not as quickly as we'd all like to see, but improving.

Now that the transportation bill is finally coming together, I'd expect to see a significant drop in the unemployment numbers soon.

28GnomeMad(22 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, the private sector isn't exactly going to pony up the funds for infrastructure repairs and expansion, though it's the private sector who'll be profiting from that government funding. Same applies to all the other products and services the government pays for but purchases from or contracts out to the private sector.

As for the "private sector is doing just fine"... yes, Obama stepped in it with that gaffe. I don't think he meant it quite the way it came out, though. The private sector *is* doing fine, in that it's not dead and is no longer in a death spiral. It's recovering -- slowly -- but recovering. Kinda like someone coming out of surgery asking the doc "how am I?" and the doc says "you're doing fine" even though the patient can't immediately jump out of bed and run a marathon. I believe Obama's policies saved our economy from death -- now it just needs time to heal and finish its recovery before it's able to really take off.

29lovedrama(138 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Please -- everyone can argue all year over this. He's a better president than both Bush and any other republican-no matter what argument you give. Romney will destroy all but the rish. Peggygurney--if u arent lying about your income then u either make below minimum wage or you are part-time ( which I am not judging you for). I too-was a single mother-and did not qualify for much help as I would've if I didnt work. If you make 109.00/week-whether it's take home or gross or whatever, then you and your child qualify for Caresource which allows for treatment almost everywhere and is excellent.You also get at least a few hundred on that EBT card and your utilities are significantly lower than, say, someone making about $300-400 a week--which is still like living in poverty but limits their assistance ( unless they have tons of kids). Be blessed and thankful for democrats that continue to strive for helping mothers such as yourself. I would vote for a president --any party--that gave the most assistance to individuals who are trying to better their life--say grad school or whatever--and not sitting around bitching about things while they take advantage of the system. call or visit ODJFS with those measly paychecks if you havent already and you will be pleasantly surprised to have FREE healthcare, food benefits, paid school and daycare ( if you are at work or school), grants in place of some loans, and HEAP assistance! With Romney you'll b living in the Rescue Mission....

30VindyPost(436 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

In 3 very short years: Mitt, George, and those Alike...READ ON!

*Now, the Fifty (50) Obama Accomplishments:

1. Passed Health Care Reform
2. Passed the Stimulus
3. Passed Wall Street Reform
4. Ended the War in Iraq
5. Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan
6. Eliminated Osama bin laden
7. Turned Around U.S. Auto Industry
8. Recapitalized Banks
9. Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”:
10. Toppled Moammar Gaddafi
11. Told Mubarak to Go!
12. Reversed Bush Torture Policies
13. Improved America’s Image Abroad
14. Kicked Banks Out of Federal Student Loan Program, Expanded Pell Grant Spending
15. Created Race to the Top
46. Recognized the Dangers of Carbon Dioxide
47. Expanded Stem Cell Research
48. Provided Payment to Wronged Minority Farmers
49. Helped South Sudan Declare Independence
50. Killed the F-22

31lovedrama(138 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

somebody also needs to do something about the price of college textbooks. My niece goes to school, takes out loans and her two books were over $125.00 apiece --used! She said if she sells them back she may get thirty--but often cannot sell them back. Total ripoff to young people trying to make it in this world!