Competitive hot-dog eating could be hazardous to your health

Published: Tue, July 3, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

Competitive hot-dog eating could be hazardous to your health

I read in the June 23 Vindica- tor that Coney Island restaurant is sponsoring a “hot dog eating contest” on July 7 at Southern Park Mall.

When I spoke to a Coney Island representative of the dangers of such a contest, his main comment was “it’s done all the time, it’s a 4th of July celebration,” which I don’t think is much of an argument.

The most obvious danger of eating as many hot dogs as you can in five minutes, is the danger of choking, but also the nutritional poison should also be a concern. (In this case the “winner” is actually the “loser”).

The $20 entrance fee could be much better used to donate to a worthy organization that assists people who cannot afford to buy food for their families.

Another surprise in the article is that Akron Children’s Hospital will receive half of the proceeds of this event. Also, I would not expect that Southern Park Mall would allow such a dangerous event on their premises.

I would strongly suggest that this event be canceled before a tragedy occurs.

Mary Clayton, Youngstown

Comments

1Woody(451 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Mary,

How many people have died during or as a direct result of a hotdog eating contests?

2walter_sobchak(1750 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

hot dogs= nutritional poison

Well, if I'm going to eat some poison, I may as well get some nutrition. I will probably have at least 4 dogs tomorrow and I prefer Smith's Natural Casing weiners from Erie, Pa. topped with Cleveland Stadium mustard. Great dog that snaps. I will definitely wash it down into my large stomach with more poison, such as Yuengling Black & Tan. No, wait. Since its our INDEPENDENCE DAY, I will choose a Sam Adams Summer Ale or Cherry Wheat. Then, I will top it off in the finest American tradition of setting off numerous cheap Chinese fireworks, hoping I don't shoot my eye out.

You, Mary, have the independence to eat a tofu burger and wash it down with a diet root beer. I would vomit.

3commoncitizen(949 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Mary, YOU really need to get a life!!! If you don't want to enter the contest --don't.

4Jerry(443 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

It has been determined that the government has the power to force us to do whatever they want us to do, so what is the issue here? The answer is now simple:

What we need to do is make the people who eat too many hot dogs pay a bigger "fine", or "tax", or "penalty, or "healthcare fee", or whatever we're calling it today; until they knuckle under and behave like the government wants them to behave.

5Freeatlast(1989 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

I love JIB JAB

6greene(167 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Mary you seem to be an expert on what behavior is allowed. Sorry, my right to eat a Hot Dog was given to me by my creator.

7Jerry(443 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

greene - You haven't been paying attention this lately. President Obama and the Congress are now allowed to control your behavior in all regards. If they agree with Mary, you ain't eatin' hot dogs.

8oldskool(95 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

TOO MUCH TIME TO WORRY ABOUT HOT DOGS! complain about 17 homicides!

9AnotherAverageCitizen(1172 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

I bet more people go to the hospital after running a half or full marathon. I guess we better stop those also.