Change in latitude, change in attitude for Pavlik

Published: Sun, July 1, 2012 @ 12:10 a.m.

He changed longitude, too, and the switch is paying off

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

In early January, just after Kelly Pavlik moved to Oxnard, Calif., to train with Robert Garcia, the two talked about the adjustment.

Pavlik, a notorious homebody, would be in a new place, far away from his friends, his family and the comfortable training surroundings he used to become middleweight champion.

Oh, and one more thing.

“He was going to be the only white guy in my gym,” said Garcia, who primarily trains Hispanic fighters, including WBA lightweight champion Brandon Rios and WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire. “I thought it would make it harder but it was really easy.

“He found himself at home, and we made him do that. We gave him the same treatment [as the other fighters] and everything went well.”

Six months later, Pavlik is coming off two straight victories (albeit against lesser competition) and heads into Saturday’s bout with Will Rosinsky with some momentum for the first time in years.

“It was definitely important [to come out to Oxnard to train],” said Pavlik, who trained with Jack Loew at the Southside Boxing Club for his entire career until breaking away late last year. “I am not here to knock anybody or anything like that, but I wasn’t going any further where I was.

“I am learning, hungry and rejuvenated to get back into it. You can never quit learning in this sport, and I’m learning again and that’s very important. On the personal part, when I get out here I don’t have any distractions or headaches. I am able to focus on what I’m here to do and that’s been very important.”

Pavlik said Garcia has helped him evolve as a fighter, emphasizing three- and four-punch combinations, uppercuts and more reliance on his left hand.

“I knew I had a left hand my whole entire career, but I learned I could use it now,” said Pavlik, who grew increasingly reliant on left jabs and straight rights when his career went south. “That’s what we work on a lot, even on the mitts. A three-piece or four-piece combo — and it’s repetitious. It’s not once or twice in that round and you’re done. Your body gets in that habit — the motor reflex of throwing that combo.

“We don’t just do something then forget about it, we work on it round after round.”

Pavlik’s co-manager, Cameron Dunkin, who was critical of Loew in recent years and pushed hard for the change, called Garcia “no doubt the best trainer in the world” and expects to eventually see a “great Kelly Pavlik again — as good as or better than the first one.”

“[He has] so many more skills than he had shown in the past,” said Dunkin. “Robert has him doing so many different things. He’s turned into a really great fighter. I think he can box when he wants to box and move inside and move his head and like he said about the uppercuts. And he doesn’t have to load up on every punch. He can break them down and box. He can also get you out of there with a shot.”

In fairness, Loew has argued that his training was good enough to lead Pavlik to the middleweight championship and that it was Pavlik’s behavior outside the ring that led to his downfall, not Loew’s training.

Pavlik’s personal problems have been well-documented — when a reporter on a conference call this week asked if he’s 100 percent sober, Pavlik said, “That is a three-year-old question” — but he said moving to California has allowed him to escape the Youngstown microscope.

“I have been coming out here to train and that has been going phenomenal. I isolate myself, mentally and physically out here and it helps also in my home life too. It keeps me grounded and keeps me going forward.”

Comments

1Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

"""".......when a reporter on a conference call this week asked if he’s 100 percent sober, Pavlik said, “That is a three-year-old question” — but he said moving to California has allowed him to escape the Youngstown microscope.

“Like I tell everyone, I live my life,” he said. “I do what keeps me happy and that’s what matters. Whatever keeps me happy in my personal life is the thing, and that is the motto that I follow and that I’m always going to follow. And I am happy right now.""""

Sidestepping the question and making excuses. So he's still drinking and eventually that drinking is going to be his downfall, whether in California, Ohio or wherever he goes. He needs to QUIT drinking. Period!
Good luck with the fight and get sober, because in the long run, it's only going to get worse, maybe all fun and games now, but when you get out of the public eye, it's only you, not your so called friends and fans and followers.

2Youngstown_Strong(91 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

If you're reading this Kelly, don't listen to the chumps and the haters. Go rep yourself and do your best.

You've got what it takes to be champ again - good luck.

3Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

ys

""If you're reading this Kelly, don't listen to the chumps and the haters.""

Who's hating, you don't think he has a drinking problem??? Forget the athlete for a minute and think of the human being. If he could have answered the question with a definite Yes, I'm a alcoholic and been sober for such and such days/months. But he didn't, he gave excuses about his drinking. That is a definite no-no. He has a problem, period. It's only going to hurt him in the long run. Have to admit it yourself before you can help yourself.

"You've got what it takes to be champ again - good luck."

Not if he continues to drink. It's more serious then you think!

4One_Who_Stayed(237 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

@2Short - I love listening to you "reformed" AA types preach.

To you, anyone ever who drinks anything with alcohol in it hes got a drinking problem. If you drink - you're an alcoholic - period - you just haven't "realized it yet". What a load of crap. If the guy likes beer and can still make weight - so be it. You're not his nutritionist nor his trainer - I think the folks who get paid to do this sort of thing are better apt to tell him what he should be doing than the armchair "Boxing Experts" like ToyCannon or "Life Experts" like you are.

Kelly - go do what you do best and kick ass. Good luck.

5Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

1who

First off, hate boxing, stupid sport, and second, why then did he check himself into Rehab??? Why did he leave his trainer and run away? Dude cannot control his alcohol, point blank! Trouble with his family, trouble with the police, trying to be a bad a@# in bars, all boil down to drinking! Comprehend? Not trying to be no nutritionist or trainer or AA preacher or whoever they have in boxing, but unlike you, that only care about the boxer, and when the day comes and he's washed up will you be there for him? Highly doubtful. Or maybe you'll buy him a beer in a lonely dive bar and reminisce what could have been. Not putting down the dude, has you can see in my first post, but thinking about the person, not the entertainment dude you like to gush all over like a little school girl.

6One_Who_Stayed(237 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

He checked himself into rehab because all of this "handlers" told him he should because it would be a good PR move.

He left his trainer and the area and had trouble with the police and his family for the same reasons. . . FAME. Had nothing to do with how much or little he drank.

He got famous and everyone wanted to either be part of his posse and give him advice or pick a fight with him to show how tough they were. Fame has destroyed many more lives than alcohol. Almost including Kelly Pavlick's Comprehend?

And please spare us the "I care about the person" crap. The only reason you are saying anything about Kelly Pavlick is because he's in the paper - you're not his best friend, cousin or any other relative. Hell, I'll bet you've never even met him. Have you?