What’s happening in church

Published: Tue, January 31, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

What’s happening in church

Where do children get the most hugs, kisses, and pampering? Church, of course. Hard to believe we have child abuse out there.

Where do children have the weakest kidneys? Church, of course, but they can play outside for four hours without going. Where do parents have the least rules? Church, of course. Make them go as soon as they come to church.

Where can you see a dance recital? Church, of course. I’ve seen a parent twirling a daughter around.

Where can you find a cry room? Church, of coarse, but some parents ignore this thinking everybody wants to hear their disruptive kid.

Where did I see ladies texting and making out grocery lists? Church, of course.

Our pastor’s sermon Sunday was about the devil. Sure seem’s like the devil was working overtime; he did everything to keep people’s minds occupied on everything but the Mass.

Andy Pappagallo Sr., Mineral Ridge

Super PACs are overwhelming

The power of super PACS has diminished the role of the average voter.

Our single vote is hard to counter the influence of political action committees with unlimited amounts of money from wealthy secret donors. Hopefully, common sense will rule one day.

John K. Hodgson, North Lima

Comments

1PAborn(21 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

It seems that the devil had some time to spend with you as well Mr. Pappagallo. While I agree that noises and other distractions can be disruptive during worship, children in church are a joyful noise. Many church congregations die because of attitudes that make families with children feel unwelcome. I'm sure there is some middle ground that can be reached by involving the priest.

2PAPPY(14 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

If you can read which i don't think you can, i mentioned a cry room. If you go to church you would know what this is. You are from PA. so you started off on the wrong foot with me. I welcome all children we take our grandchildren from day one, we get comments all the time how good they are, this is a church not a dance recital, if parents can't teach their children 1 hr not to go to the drinking fountain 3 times during church or the rest room, shame on them.

3steelhead(123 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Where do you find grumpy old men? Apparently in Miserable Ridge. Seems to me you were too busy worrying about other people's business to be concentrating on the mass. Jesus preached tolerance, love, understanding, nurturing, joy, and alot of other stuff you seem to have forgotten. I agree that adults should act like adults, no texting, etc., but Jesus said to gather the children unto Him, and I will continue to do just that. PS: I see you also discriminate based on what state a person is born in. I can only imagine what other factors you use to discriminate. My children and I will pray for you, I hope it isn't too loud.

4gdog4766(1387 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow, now theres a guy who really gets the spirit. While the rest of us listen to the sermon, think good thoughts, thank the Lord for our many blessings. This guy is sitting there fuming about the trivial things in his life. But I forgive you for your weaknesses.

5PAPPY(14 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow for all you "preachers"out there I never claimed to be holier than thou. you all missed my point it was aimed at the parents not the kids. If only one parent read this letter and says wow thats me, I did my job. This will be my last comment on this. To the guy I wasn't fuming, to the lady who said I discriminate it was a Browns/ Steeler comment. You all took this letter way to serious," the guy from Miserable Ridge" hope you all practice what you preach, I'm not perfect I guarantee you that.

6JME(801 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm not Catholic but my wife and son are, and I occasionally go to Mass with them - I don't completely agree with the Catholic faith, but respect the religion. A couple of things that I don't get is (1) the way some people dress at Mass nowadays - jeans, shorts, flip-flops, etc. (2) The number of people who walk in late, then go running out as soon as they receive Communion, well before the Priest says "the Mass has ended".

7gdog4766(1387 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

One, God doesnt care how you dress for church, just that you come. Two its hard enough to get some people just to come at all so I geuss most priests will take any attendance. And last in all my years attending church, people coming late and leaving early isnt that common and there isnt a mass rush (no pun intended) like your trying to make it sound. So its obvious you dont attend services that often. But I forgive you for your deliberate misrepresentation of my religion.

8CassAnn(252 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

I have to agree with everyone else. One church I attended had an autistic child that roamed the pews making joyful noises during the entire sermon. Children are going to cry, drink, go to the bathroom etc. Why? - because they are children!
Church isn't just for grumpy old men and women that like everything quiet.

9UNCOMMONSENSE(352 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

@PAPPY I agree with you on this one and I am not older, grumpy or from Mineral Ridge! I wonder if these people tolerate the same distractions when they are watching American Idol or Dancing with Stars??? It is a simple matter of respect of which much of society lacks.

10sq51(11 comments)posted 2 years, 5 months ago

Just so glad I am not forced to go to your church. I go to one where children and their being themselves is acceptable not an interference. We even have an occasional dog in our service. They are just as welcome.. But then Jesus did welcome all....