Police probe teen’s slaying

Published: Tue, January 31, 2012 @ 12:04 a.m.

Youngstown boy shot as he walked home from a party

photo

Crues Jr.

By John W. Goodwin Jr.

jgoodwin@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Carlos Crues Jr. survived an attempted shooting earlier this month only to be shot and killed while attending a party this past weekend.

Police are not discussing motives or suspects in the slaying of the 17-year-old Youngstown boy, and family members are left to wonder why someone killed the youth they describe as an outgoing, lovable person who cared deeply for others.

Crues Jr. was leaving an East Side party on Kendis Circle just before 2 a.m. Saturday walking with at least two females when shots were fired and Crues Jr. was killed. He was dead by the time officers arrived and covered in a sheet a nearby resident placed over his body.

Lt. John Kelty said there have been no arrests made in the shooting.

“We are still investigating and trying to identify everyone at that party so we can interview them. That is going to be a cumbersome task to identify everyone and get them down here for an interview,” he said.

Kelty said there is no motive that he can discuss at this point, but the department is asking that anyone attending the Friday night/Saturday morning party to contact police.

Carlos Crues Sr. said his son was a likable individual who enjoyed sports and cared deeply about his friends and family.

“When he was younger, I got him into football, and he loved it. He was supportive of other kids. We were able to keep him on a straight path and he shared that with other kids,” Crues Sr. said.

He said his son also was very confident, a confidence that could often be mistaken as “cocky” and would sometimes lead to conflict with others. He said others misreading the confidence in Crues Jr. may have led to jealously and ultimately the shooting of his son.

“It was pure jealously. If someone didn’t like him, it was plain jealously,” he said. “He was just friends with everybody.”

Sparkle Johnson, the teen’s mother, said her son did not deal drugs nor was in any kind of trouble.

She said she and Crues Sr. kept him busy to keep him out of trouble.

“He was definitely a ‘mama’s boy.’ That was my only son,” Johnson said. “He had both his parents, and we were both much involved in his life. We busted our behinds to instill education and do for our kids.”

Johnson said she is now just left with fond memories of her son.

“I have so many good memories about him. He was a clown and kept everybody smiling.”

Crues Jr. reportedly was shot at earlier this year. According to police reports, Crues Jr. was standing in the driveway of a Douglas Avenue home on the South Side on Jan. 8 when a gold four-door car pulled up and the rear passenger began firing shots in his direction. Crues Jr. was able to run away without being hit by the gunfire.

Crues Jr. was able to identify two of the men in the car by first name, but no arrests were made. Police did not say whether the two shootings are believed to be connected.

Crues Jr. had a brother who was murdered in 2008 on the city’s South Side. JaJuan Robbins was beaten and shot at a Cain Street home in 2008 when he was 20.

James A. Hudson Jr. was found guilty of murder with a firearm specification in Robbins’ death. He is serving a 15-year-to-life sentence in the Mansfield Correctional Institution.

After losing two sons to violence, Crues Sr. acknowledges the difficulties in raising black males in the Youngstown area, but he encourages other parents to fight the battle in keeping their kids in line.

Tragedy, he said, can happen despite the best efforts.

“I was determined to make parenting a win-win situation, if I was with the mother or not. I was determined to fill every void,” Crues Sr. said. “When kids get a certain age, they run away from us, but just never give up on them. I never gave up on them. You just have to fight and fight and fight and pray.”

Comments

1TERRI_USA(30 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know what happen to Stan? His comments were very funny, I miss him.

People now days are horrible!

2vinglass(243 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I asked that same question recently, but no one seems to know..

3whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

The way the family is making it out the young man was a SAINT, truely sorry for your loss, but What is this SAINT doing out at 2:00 in the morning, saving souls, I think not.

Poor desisions on both the Parents and the Child.

Hopefully " LOS " doesnt die in vain and young men, woman and Parents can use this to get motivated to make the right choices.

4whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@Terri_USA & vinglass, rumor has it Freeatlast has Stan in custody and is forcing him to read his memoirs'.

5redneckwonder(13 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Everyone says "He was an outgoing, lovable person who cared deeply for others." so you are saying he got shot for absolutely no reason what so ever. They missed the girls completely so it wasn't a drive-by or random shooting.

6Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Targeted twice within a couple of weeks? Don't think because he was "cocky" he was targeted and murdered. But then again, with the young wanna b gangstas and trash and useless waste of human DNA that roam the streets, it wouldn't surprise me. The animals just never learn.

7DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Lifes2Short

Are you calling my Lil Cousin a useless waste of human DNA???!!!! Such disrespect for the dead. Hope you don't lose someone close to you to violence. For you to have 2694 comments posted seem like you are useless!!!! Get a life and a job!! You're probably one of those collecting my tax dollars on public assistance!!!!! You have so much time on your hands get out and get involved in the community!!!!!

8DwightK(1300 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Why was a 17 year old out at 2am? Especially if he had been shot at on an earlier occassion? I always had a curfew and it was well before 2am.

9tonyb2913(20 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Listen I know for a fact this was a retaliation for him being involved in a murder of another young man. He was not innocent and the way it seems his own family either don't know or is lying. My people are still in the streets and everybody knows there is a group of people at war.

10YoungnGifted(8 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Normally I don't indulged myself into these conversations because for the most part it's bored indivduals that have nothing better to do with thier lifes then to ignorantly discuss situations and people that they dont know anything about. However, there were some comments made that certainly need to be addressed. Many of you putting your unwanted two cents into this situtation make me sick. You have absolutely no respect for the fact that there was a mother and father who just lost thier son; children who will never see thier friend again,and teachers that will miss thier student. I know this young man, I was one of those lucky faculty members who had the opportunity to meet and love Carlos Crues Jr. He was indeed a fun loving and outgoing kid with a smile that could without a doubt light a room. This is not about weather or not he was a good kid, cocky, weather he should have been out at 2 am or not! The fact remains that a young man's life was taken from him! PERIOD! Too many people running around here thinking they are God and taking the lifes of others. This is an epidemic that has not only been negativley affecting our community but it has been affecting our world! Our young people see violence in thier faces constantly. And unless you have the answer, and not some random mumble jumble about the welfare system, checks or "these animals" etc, please do us all a favor and respect that a life was taken and SHUT UP!!

11Nicoledav(2 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Apparently out of all the people that have commented on Carlos only myself and DaddyD knew him. Please take this to heart, everything Sparkle and Carlos have said about their son is true. He loved to make people laugh, he pulled jokes on people, and he was very confident..even in kindergarten. For all of you to speak ill towards them and Carlos should be ashamed of yourselves. Yes, he was out late. No, he wasn't perfect but who is? Carlos' parents have always been there for their children. They were the parents that came to every Parent Teacher Conference. They answered the calls from the school. You all are so quick to talk bad about this family but have you thought about the people that shot him. How they don't understand the value of life! Before you go and talk about Carlos again ask yourself, "did I know him?" "Was I one of the people in his life that helped build him up?" "Did you have a hand in educating him?" "Were you there to laugh with him?" "Were you there when he cried?"

I have known Carlos since he was 5! I have done all of those things I spoke of, so yes I can speak on him!!! The rest of you can shut your mouth and let all of us that KNEW and loved him mourn OUR loss.

12DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Nicoledav

I appreciate your comment about my Lil Cousin and our family. Some people are just ignorant. Los Rest In Paradise!!

13YoungnGifted(8 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Terryz34 Yea that sounds intelligent. Let's all kill each other, Stop, Point is when your brother was killed you had a right to mourn his death because that was YOUR brother. And you shouldnt have to read people making assumptions about his life and why he died, becasue at that point IT DIDNT MATTER!!!!! All that you lost a loved one and thats all that matters in this case...

14Fred(131 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

A young man is killed but there is no reason attack anyone on this matter. A dispute turns deadly but life goes on. Nothing can be done for the deceased and we should dwell on rehabilitating his killer. He too has a mother and we should be made aware of her concerns.

15bsdtwd(40 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Old Fred, who thinks he's a gangsta celebrity in Ytown, has nothing to say but, "life goes on" and WE should dwell on rehabbing another useless DNA strand. Your attitude/thoughts are the problem. WE shouldn't have to dwell on rehabilitating anyone. We should point out that he wasn't just a fun loving & nice young man. He was a 17 year old out at 2am. Most likely drinking and partying and this time they got'em. Teen on Teen violence every week and the same old crap about their playing video games, their nick names and that he attended a Baptist Church. Shame is dead in the Black community. Nobody cares about anything until they're dead. And even then they make excuses for any behavior. We'll await the typical Obit. He probably left his DNA in some young girl who'll be left to suck on the public nipple with his offspring. Wake Up Fred and other of your ilk. Doing the same thing for 8 generations and expecting different results is insanity. Excuse me for using the word "expecting", because there are -0- expectations of anyone and this is what you get. Put up your real pic Diddy.

16Ignoranceisbliss(1 comment)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

YoungnGifted...I assume when you say you were a "faculty" member at the school Mr. Carlos Crues Jr. attended that you were not an English teacher. I don't think working in the cafeteria or being a janitor actually counts for "faculty."

17whitesabbath(738 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

RE: YoungnGifted , the point is this young man was out at 2:00 in the morning, I imagine if he was at home doing a Bible study he would of not put himself in that situation,

Only God knows. HE giveth and HE taketh away.

18joydav(41 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I haven't been on this blog in a while. I seems to me that the same ignorant people are still commenting. I was a teenager in the 80's and we went to parties and came home around 1 or 2 am without any problems. I hung out on all sides of Youngstown, spent time in Boardman, Canfield, Austintown, and Liberty. It was just a different time then than it is now. Unfortunately, our youngmen and youngladies don't have anything to do but hang. There is just no respect for human life when it comes to these young folks. I really feel for anyone trying to raise good kids these days. I spent many evenings worring about my teens back in the late 90's and early 2000's. The streets were just getting very bad at that time. Now, you find crap everywhere. But, it never amazes me that some people all ways call inner city children animals. When in Canfield it's not the kids you have to worry about, it's the adults selling weed from the Dairy Queen, and taking snap shot of naked kids for a free icecream cone. Kids taking shots at their friend and the parents trying to cover it up. Well, what we all need to do is try to help all children. I remember getting all my fun substances from the kids in Boardman, and Liberty and other subburban areas. Their kids in rehab, others in jail, but all needing HELP!!!! I know someone is going to talk about my spelling, enjoy yourself :)

19kensgirl(643 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Olddude - there was a pervert working at Dairy Queen in Canfield a couple years ago and they arrested him (in answer to your question).
P.S. I heard Stan was seen out West last week with some tall blonde chic. What happens in Vegas....

20Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

DADDY O says:

Are you calling my Lil Cousin a useless waste of human DNA???!!!!

<<< DUMBSHI@#, 1st off, did I call your Lil Couzin a waste of DNA?? Read and COMPREHEND what people write instead of jumping to conclusions or making assumptions you idiot! If you can actually COMPREHEND English, did you graduate 2nd grade? Then you would COMPREHEND what I wrote was <<the killers,animals, useless DNA etc WOULD KILL someone over being "COCKY". So get off your high horse and your stupid idiotic comments and try to COMPREHEND the English language. You can't be that STUPID. >>>>>

DADDY O says:

<<< As a matter of fact, I did! So don't even talk about "disrespect for the dead", idiot!

DADDY O says:

For you to have 2694 comments posted seem like you are useless!!!!

<<< Jealous? >>>>>

Get a life and a job!!

<<<< Have a job and a life, thank you very much and I like it, do you have a job? >>>>>>>>

<<< Nah, I'm not a minority>>>

DADDY O says:

<<<< If you read my 2694 comments (if you can read that is) then you will see about my past and helping the community>>>>>

21Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

YOUNGN Says:

"And unless you have the answer, and not some random mumble jumble about the welfare system, checks or "these animals" etc, please do us all a favor and respect that a life was taken and SHUT UP!!

<< Huh? A newspaper puts out a story and some papers, including the Vindy, have a "COMMENTS" section after the story, uh.....so the public has a FORUM for the public to COMMENT, you don't like what the COMMENTS say, that is your choice and only yours, bottom line, Don't READ it. Not to difficult you see, you have your OPINIONS and others have THERE'S! You don't like it then that is Life. >>>>>>

22Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

JOYDUH says:

"But, it never amazes me that some people all ways call inner city children animals."

<<<<< Children??? No the useless ANIMALS that KILL others are not children, their cold-hearted animals that have no respect for human life! PERIOD. Don't have to be inner city ADULTS it's anyone WITHOUT a SOUL! >>>>>>

23YoungnGifted(8 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Lifes2Short Listen, all the things that you directed to DaddyD were completely unneccessary. Can he read? Does he have an education passed the 2nd grade? Why wouldnt he? Because he's black?? And you're not collecting tax dollars because you're not a minority?? Are you kidding!? Educate yourself my friend, there are more of the "majority" then the "minority" on welfare...the percentage of welfare users are the highest among WHITE women...hmmm so maybe you can be collecting his and MY tax dollars!
As for me take your own advice, I never pointed you out, however if the shoe fits... but like you say if you dont like what I have to say dont read it. If your opinion is important, so is mine.
And as far as you donating your time to community service? I have to wonder where you are donating your time, because you clearly are culturally insensitive. Not becasue of the things you said in your post, but because of the ignorant way that you responded to those other comments made. "Nah, I'm not a minority"...that says enough.

24YoungnGifted(8 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

IgnoranceisBliss...I simply laugh at you...No, I'm not a janitor nor am I a cafeteria worker, but they do make pretty decent money, so you probably should apply. We actually have an opening. Then you can see what I do, and maybe I'll let you get me a cup of coffee every once in a while, or empty my trash. ;-) now you have yourself a blessed day!!

25DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

YoungGifted- Thanks for having my back!!!! but I got this:)

Lifes2Short- I didn't want to make this a pissing contest but lets go. I'm a minority (proud of it), 12+ years of education. Also for your information I served my country proudly for 24 years in the Military to perserve your right to freedom!!!! Now I'm currently employed with the Federal Government preserving your environment for future generations, so come on with it. You chose the wrong one. My whole thing is these post are getting out of hand. if you have so much conviction about what you are saying go on the News and let your face be seen and make the same comments. Don't hide behind your computer desk. Great if you have done things for the community. Keep doing it!!! I am!!!!!

26uncle(12 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I must say that I know the family and Lil Los was no saint. He was in and out of JJC and his parents seemed very stressed at times. But saying that doesnt mean he deserved to Die... Just keeping it real... He was a follower and tried to fit in to the point that he did stupid things... But like I said he didnt deserve to be killed...

27DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Uncle- I agree totally

28YoungnGifted(8 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

@DaddyD You certainly got it I see :-)... Los was one of my favorite students. I think we all have agreed that he was not a "saint" but he certainly did not deserve to have his life taken from him. But that Life2short took me there, especially with that comment about not being on welfare because he wasn't a minority...I lost it! You are well educated I see and I am working on my second masters degree and I'm also a minority born and raised on the south side of Youngstown...these stereotypes really upset me.

29Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

YOUNGIN says:

""Lifes2Short Listen, all the things that you directed to DaddyD were completely unnecessary. ""

BUT it's OK for DADDY O to say this:

<<<For you to have 2694 comments posted seem like you are useless!!!! Get a life and a job!! You're probably one of those collecting my tax dollars on public assistance!!!!! You have so much time on your hands get out and get involved in the community!!!!!>>>

So what is good for someone is not for the other? Get real!

YOUNGIN says:

"Because he's black?? "

Hello McFly, were on a COMPUTER here, I have no CLUE if he is white, black, yellow, green, orange, purple or all the colors of the rainbow. So quit the race bait please it's way to old try to come up with something original for a change.

YOUNGIN says:

""Nah, I'm not a minority"...that says enough."

PLEASE, quit being so freaking sensitive, it's a freaking "TONGUE IN CHEEK" comment. Why is that everything has to be so POLITICALLY CORRECT in today's society, my God, if I say the word BLACK I'm a racist. SMH at stupidity. Get on with the real issues instead of the day in day out racism cry. And as far as stereotyping your the biggest one, you can say how proud you are of being black, but God forbid, another race does it, there racist. Really?

30Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

DADDY O says:

"Lifes2Short- I didn't want to make this a pissing contest but lets go."

<<Why you have to have a pissing contest? Is that what you do whenever someone tries to CORRECT what you interpret? Sounds like a smoke screen to me. Not here to fight DADDY O I have more IMPORTANT things to do with my Life.>>

DADDY O says:

"I'm a minority (proud of it), 12+ years of education."

<<<I'm white and proud of it, so if I say that, I'm a racist? Don't seem fair does it? I have 12+ years and a AS in Computer Engineering and proud of it.>>

DADDY O says:

"Also for your information I served my country proudly for 24 years in the Military to perserve your right to freedom!!!! "

<<Good for you, and I also served 4 years in the United States Navy, Radioman, USS Cleveland, to help in YOUR freedom to. And I'm proud of that to.>>>

DADDY O says:

"Now I'm currently employed with the Federal Government preserving your environment for future generations, so come on with it."

<<I also was employed in County and State Government and helping future generations. So I know how the inner works of the Government works very much so. Am I suppose to be impressed? >>

DADDY O says:

"You chose the wrong one. My whole thing is these post are getting out of hand. if you have so much conviction about what you are saying go on the News and let your face be seen and make the same comments. "

<<No reason whatsoever for these post to get out of hand. You newbies get on here, don't have NO clue what the old timers say, and get all hell bent out of shape, over MISREAD comments. I pray you don't do that on a daily basis or when someone disagrees with you.>>

DADDY O says:

"Don't hide behind your computer desk."

<<Who is hiding behind a computer desk?? It's a comments section, I have no clue who the deceased was, have no clue what he was doing, have no clue about him so why in the world would I want to go on the TV to talk about someone I don't know. Where in my comments do I say that I know this person or what he was doing? Don't have to look closely because you won't find anything negative about him.>>>

31czep2007(1 comment)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

I know the family and i know the situation. No one needs to make the ignorant comments that were made in this section. You are all extremely ignorant if you feel its ok to make any sort of judgements upon people. His father, I know for a fact when he was living with him controlled every aspect of his life and when his son didn't like it he left his dads and went back to his mothers. I too had my share of trouble growing up; I was selling drugs (cocaine, weed, etc.) and doing them, and I have 4 DUIs. I am a white male that grew up in the country in a great home with a great set of parents. I had two siblings who grew up without problems so its not always parenting that makes a child act out. I have a family with 3 little girls now and make good money, and have dropped all my issues. So look around and realize that not all people are the same no matter how they are raised. Its not even my son but but i have cried for the fact that a young mans life was taken, no matter what the reason, he has no chance to accomplish goals or be the adult that any of us have. His parents are mourning the death of a child of theirs who they raised as well as they knew how to, so be respectful at the least. Thank You,

32DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

czep2007- Well said

YoungnGifted- I bet I know you. I grew up on the Southside too!!!

Life2short- Didn't call you a racist. Stick by your user ID: LIFE IS TOO SHORT.
So go ahead veteran!!!! I'm out!!!

33Realwill(7 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

We all need,to get together&stop.these guns from coming,in our cities.these Killings are happening all over the country.there's no one talking about (smith&wesson,Remington,etc.)who are not controlling,there products.

34NurseMom1019(1 comment)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

So many people with so many opinions....the fact remains that a young man has lost his life. Whether he was a sinner or a saint he didn't deserve to have his life taken away. We should all take a moment and think that could have been someone in our family and think how we would feel if such insensitive comments had been made. Let's all think before we speak.....

35Charles42705(15 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

After reading all these comments all I can do is ...smh

36Ypublius(21 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Sad. Truly Sad.

37BusDriver(46 comments)posted 2 years, 10 months ago

Very sad that a young man has lost his life. One thing I question in this all is if you lost a son in 2008, and then comes your younger son who was shot at a week before, why was he allowed out at 2 a.m. when there is 11pm curfew? As a parent this kid wouldn't of been allowed out until you as a parent find out why was your son shot at and what is he really involved in, could of been random but then he gets shot and killed somewhere else. I know its hard to raise kids and couldn't imagine the grief these parents are going through, but this should be a lesson to all parents about the reality of getting involved in your kids lives and making sure you know who there friends are, and finding out what they really are doing out there, and setting rules that they must obey, it could save their lives. Its sad but in this world a tighter reign on kids needs to happen.

38maujanette(3 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't understand how being a saint have to deal with anything. The bible says "he without sin cast the first stone" I don't believe anyone on these comments are clean as a whistle. At the end of the day young people are constantly getting shot and killed saint or not! WHERE IS OUR GOVERNMENT? What the heck are they doing for this to be continuously going on? Obviously they're doing nothing.