Witnesses in city’s latest shooting tell of 2 volleys of gunfire

Published: Mon, January 30, 2012 @ 12:00 a.m.

By robert Guttersohn

rguttersohn@vindy.com

Youngstown

Witnesses in Saturday’s shooting of a 17-year-old male on the city’s East Side told police there were two volleys of fire about 25 minutes apart, according to police reports.

Neighbors found Carlos Cruz Jr. dead in front of 1040 Kendis Circle just off Keystone Avenue after hearing screams outside their apartment after four gunshots about 1:50 a.m.

Witnesses said Cruz was lying face down and unresponsive in front of the apartment when they ran outside.

They told police that up to six gunshots were heard earlier about 1:25 a.m.

Police Chief Rod Foley told The Vindicator on Saturday that Cruz was attending a party at the apartment.

Police interviewed those present at the shooting and brought in two more witnesses for questioning later Saturday, according to the report.

If ruled a homicide by the Mahoning County Coroner’s office, it would be the city’s third of 2012, outpacing last year. In 2011, the third homicide did not occur until March 12.

Comments

1kensgirl(540 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

It's not only the black community that produces one baby after the other, many whites do this too. Many babies, many fathers. (Or should I say sperm donors!) It's time women developed some self respect and discontinue sleeping with any smooth talking male. Same for white women. Get an education and get a job. Unless this occurs our country will go broke paying for all these children. And also instead of 6 degrees of separartion we'll be down to 4 soon - all somehow related. "Just say no!" And fellas keep it zipped and stay in school! Get off the sreets and into church. Just do the right thing - it's a lot less taxing, LITERALLY!!!

2DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

derf5983,
Hopefully you're not talking about the victim because my cousin nor his family was on public assistance. It's just these young people just don't value life!!!! Send the overseas and let them fight. The easy access to guns and no home discipline is the problem!!!!!

3DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

derf5983
I agree to some degree, after my mother passed away I was one of those young men running around Y-town in the 80s (14 years old to be exact) being a terror. It wasn't because I wasn't taught right. I knew right from wrong and my mother would beat the hell out of us if we acted up in school, streets at a neighbors house, etc. Where you did it is where you got it!!!!LOL. It wasn't the beating it was the embarrassment. She would always say I'm your MOTHER not your FRIEND!! I thank her now for every beating she gave me!!!!! I joined the military and served my country proudly for 24 years. The military taught me discipline and honor for my fellow man. Y'town is just not the place these days to raise these young men and women with nothing to do. You can't be with your kids 24/7. All you can do is lead them in the right direction and hope they follow!!!!

4kensgirl(540 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

DaddyD - These kids today need a good butt kicking just like our parents gave us but today it's considered child abuse. We need to go back to the old days when if a child needed discipline he certainly got it! And not just from his/her mom and dad. Our neighbors were allowed to discipline us too - AND the nuns(they were the worst).
P.S. Thank you sir for your service to our country and may God bless you and your family.

5DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Kensgirl- You are absolutely right, but let our kids get into trouble and they say we are not disciplining them. Beat them and they say you are abusing them. But it don't matter to me I went to jail for smacking my son (15yrs) in the mouth for mouthing off. Went to court told the judge I would do it again. I pay the cost to be the BOSS. Judge dismissed the case!!!! I have 4 24+ years of age and I still treat them like when they were kids. I don't party with my kids or their friends. I'm their parent NOT THEIR HOMEBOY!!!!! Also you are Welcome and GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. I'm still praying for Everyone in Y-Town!!!!!

6kensgirl(540 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

DaddyD - Oh if all parents were like you! Maybe you should lecture in the schools, and to parents on how to be a good parent. My husband passed away and I have to deal with a lot. But I do my best on old school discipline. You are a credit to all humanity sir.

7DaddyD(24 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

Kensgirl
Sorry to hear about your husband. Everything will be alright, just keep doing what you are doing and pray for strength to carry on!!!! GOD will make a way for you!!!!