Union pickets soon-to-open store

Published: Mon, January 23, 2012 @ 9:48 a.m.

Union pickets soon-to-open store

YOUNGSTOWN

Three new Youngstown grocery stores could have more than customers when they open next month.

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union has already stationed information pickets outside Bottom Dollars at 890 East Midlothian Blvd., according to WFMJ-TV, The Vindicator’s reporting partner.

The union promises similar pickets at Bottom Dollar’s other soon-to-open locations at 2649 Glenwood Ave., Unit 1, and 3377 Mahoning Ave.

All three Bottom Dollar stores, the firsts in Ohio, will open at 8 a.m. Feb. 9.

The UFCW says it hopes to encourage people to shop at supermarkets that employ union workers.

The union in 2009 picketed at Henry Nemenz’s stores in Sharon, Pa., Hubbard, Poland and Struthers.

Comments

1SheepleHerder(22 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

This new store could not ask for a better endorsement. I can't wait to start shopping.

2Shanty(18 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I wonder how many of these pickets are actually UFCW members or are non union people from the unemployment office being paid to do the picketing?

3DwightK(1266 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Aren't these the same clowns that shut down one of Nemenz's stores? I guess they don't want jobs.

4walter_sobchak(1922 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Let's see how long the pickets last when the gangs start shooting! Why don't these clowns ever picket Giant Eagle?

5jasoninohio(119 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

And unions wonder why people are so against them?

6redeye1(4563 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I will shop at these store, no union nut is going to keep me away. As they are looking out for themselves i will be looking out for myself

7captdinger(108 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

"Union pickets soon-to-open store", wow, what a surprise.

8Mooneygrad72(42 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Unions can be helpful or a hinderance. When one says or does something that others think is inappropriate, everyone wants the union to save them; want a decent wage-- union; want clean, safe places for employment- unions.... For those of you totally against the union based trends in this country-- Go back to the late 1890s and early 1900s and go work in a sweatshop, or a mill that has no protective gear, a classroom without heat unless a parent brought fire wood to the school room, when teachers LIVED a month in student homes as part of their pay !! and then moved to the next home... Need I go on?? I have walked picket lines in Ytown for educational changes. At that time the neighbors actually joined forces with us, brought foodm firewood,,, Don;t blast all union work. There maybe good reason for not picketing some stores IF the EMPLOYEES have taken a non- union vote, rather than the EMPLOYER. Big difference !!!

9WhatRUAfraidOf(85 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I will NEVER forgive the UFCW for taking their union dues out of my $14 paycheck for working six hours with an injured back at a Kroger checkout when I was in college. I had been laid off for weeks and weeks and was told I HAD to go to work when they called me for one night, even though Kroger made sure they worked me for 19 weeks and ensured I couldn't get unemployment because I was a student. The union high-and-mighty people there were more on the store's side. I wasn't even supposed to work at all as I had fallen off of a ladder while washing walls for my mother and had twisted my back and was under doctor's care. After that, I quit and got a much better job a few months later working for a contractor as a secretary. I made more money overall and the people I worked for were wonderful!

Anyway, in many cases I am personally pro-union, but NOT when it comes to that union. They do almost nothing for the lowliest of the low on the totem pole, but the lowliest of the low sure get their union dues taken out as soon as they earn enough money to cover it :-(.

10walter_sobchak(1922 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

mooneygrad72,
As I recall when the UFCW were picketing the Nemenz store, Henry asked them to try and take a vote to unionize but the union wouldn't do it since they knew it would fail. The majority of the employees did not want to unionize. UFCW's objective was to get the store shut down which is what happened in Hubbard. I think the picketers should organize and demand a living wage.

11redvert(2075 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Here is a warning to Walmart. Walmart is in the process of opening a grocery store in the Walmart on South Avenue and do not realize that they will be going head to head with Dog Boy or whatever the clowns name was. I realize that as the Walmart execs read this that they will be shaking in their shoes....from laughing. I just hope that the timing is right so I can be there to enjoy the entertainment.

On the bright side, if the pickets will be there until Walmart closes, it will be long term employment...at union scale wages......Right?......Right?......Somebody!!!

12mrblue(999 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

The new stores should do well. All they have to do is undersell Aldi and Save-A-Lot. That shouldn't be hard to do.

13pjst81(7 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

wow! cant believe how many of these people are anti union! i did not think we had so many republicans in this area! ha lol! oh thats right vindy supports henry so that is why we are anti union on this web site haha lol! i may be looking into cancelling my home delivery of vindy since they are so non union and pro henry nemenz. oh, i dont think henry's store in poland that closed was because of the picket line. you would know what i am talking about if you ever stepped foot in that store! haha lol!!! union forever!!!!!!!