Shooting victim Gabrielle Giffords to resign from Congress

Published: Sun, January 22, 2012 @ 2:27 p.m.

Shooting victim Gabrielle Giffords to resign from Congress

Associated Press

WASHINGTON

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona says she will resign from Congress this week, her staff said today, and not seek re-election when her current term expires this year.

“I have more work to do on my recovery and so to do what is best for Arizona I will step down this week,” Giffords said in a video posted online Sunday. “Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover.”

“Arizona is my home, always will be. A lot has happened over the past year. We need to not change that but I know on the issues we fought for we can change things for the better. We can do so much more by working together. I don’t remember much from that horrible day but I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice. Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover. I have more work to do on my recovery and so to do what is best for Arizona I will step down this week I’m getting better every day. My spirit is high. I will return and we will work together for Arizona and this great country.

On January 8, 2011, Giffords was a victim of a shooting near Tucson, which was reported to be an assassination attempt on her, at a supermarket where she was meeting publicly with constituents.

She was critically injured by a gunshot wound to the head; thirteen people were injured and six others were killed in the shooting, among them conservative federal judge John Roll.

Comments

1ice(28 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

she should have over a year ago but she suck as much as she could from the system, just like any typical government worker. SB should have stayed the way it was presented. Government workers all S???

2najjjj(106 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

ice: Your name matches your heart.

3grand4dad(196 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Let's hope that ice never gets a work related injury lest he might have to take a leave of absence and collect workers comp while he recovers and thus be labeled as "sucking as much as he can out of the system just like typical government workers".

4VindyPost(436 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Sincere and Best Wishes to Gabrielle Giffords.
May She Recover Each and Every Day To Fullest Extent.
Continued Thoughts and Prayers Are With Her.
What An Inspiration~~Truly Blessed.

5mrhappy(23 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

ice she had brain damage. can't you sympathize with her given you obvious "special needs?"

6AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

ICE,

She was critically injured by a gunshot wound to the head; thirteen people were injured and six others were killed in the shooting.

Well-deserved time-off and successfully recover through rehab. and therapy. Best wishes for her while enduring such a difficult time.

Extended Prayers to her.
(and ICE, too)

7VindyPost(436 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

redeye1,
Just a thought...Gabby Giffords, a spouse of a NASA Astronaut, Mark Kelly~~yes, probably pretty good medical insurance for the couple, guessing primary on his policy.

BTW: To have insurance is protection. It is not cold thinking by any means, it is actually being responsible with intelligent thoughts.

8UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

She should have resigned a long time ago. Her district deserved better then a badly damaged Congresswoman's brain in these tough economic times.

9AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey UnionForever,
WHOA!
That comment wasn't very nice nor considerate. I'm pretty certain you would not like us on the VINDY .com to "retire" you because of "capacities" or "incapacities".

Actually Tucson, AZ and her surrounding district got along just fine during her absence.

Ohio deserves a lot better, when is kasich going to resign?

10theoldwrench(243 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Even with her disability she did more for this country than 99.99999% who have no excuse. As for the the likes of people (ice redeye) you can be sure if a tragedy hit them they would be the first in line to get help.