335 marijuana plants seized at Canfield home

Published: Wed, January 11, 2012 @ 12:05 a.m.

photo

Muth

By Ashley Luthern

aluthern@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

When township detectives executed a search warrant on a Canfield home, they were looking for a weapon used in a Boardman crime.

Instead, they found more than 300 marijuana plants in plain view and notified the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

“Federal charges have not been filed, but I can tell you 335 marijuana plants in various stages of growth were seized. They were in three rooms,” said Bob Balzano, a DEA resident agent.

The amount of marijuana meets federal thresholds for prosecution, Balzano said Monday.

Boardman police said they went to the house looking for evidence against Charles Brian Muth, 40, of Canfield. Muth is charged with aggravated menacing and ethnic intimidation, a felony.

He is accused of calling a township man repeatedly about 3 a.m. Christmas Day, threatening to kill the man’s family and using derogatory language, police said.

Three days after Christmas, a drive-by shooting was reported at the man’s ex-wife’s home on Jaguar Drive about 2 a.m., and police found bullet holes inside the residence, according to reports.

The female homeowner was present during the shooting, as were her 7-year-old daughter and a 21-year-old woman, police said.

Detective Sgt. Glen Riddle said Muth was a suspect in the drive-by shooting, which is why Boardman police requested a search warrant for several locations, including Muth’s 3,172-square-foot house at 9075 Briarwood Court in Canfield where the marijuana was discovered. The Mahoning County auditor lists the total market value of the property at $354,200.

Boardman police and the DEA searched the house Friday, and warrants were issued for Muth’s arrest.

Muth was arrested Friday night by Cleveland police at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport with about $1,200 in his possession, Riddle said.

Muth was held in Cleveland until U.S. marshals and Boardman police took custody of him Monday. Shortly after that, Muth posted his $15,750 bond.

Muth was arraigned Tuesday in Boardman area court and pleaded not guilty to the aggravated menacing charge and did not enter a plea to the ethnic intimidation charge. A pretrial hearing is set for March 6.

Riddle said the intimidation case does not appear to be related to drugs.

“The [intimidation] victim and [Muth] know each other and there’s some bad blood between them,” Riddle said, adding that Muth is still a suspect in the shooting but has not been charged.

Comments

1youngspartanrepublican(92 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

looks like caarlstatz needs to expand the "drug zone" out even more than it already is!

2taxme(345 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Canfield thug gangsta who lives in $500,000 home in Canfield does drive by shooting in Boardman. That says it all!

3steelwagon(284 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Looks like he's going to be giving up a nice home to the feds.
Why would you do anything to call attention to yourself by law enforcement when you're running a large pot growing operation in your home ?

Must have been very serious bad blood between these guys.
Going to put a slight dent in getting high in Canfield for a while.

4hmm(184 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome to da hood - You know the difference between a urban gangsta and a sub urban gangsta .... The sub urbans Daddy is a lawyer and sell to their neighbors .....

5MzVirgoLuv(157 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

And I didn't know about it!! Now I'm pissed. I work right out there and all this time when I can't find any it's right in my face. I have to start really knowing my fellow potters.....And to all 'THIS IS NOT AN EFFN DRUG' 20 year study proved that weed smoke does not affect your lung function one bit....All these studies that prove it's not lethal or harmful and still alcohol is legal and it's killed millions and have destroyed homes, families and jobs. So does prescript drugs...but yet and still the ppl have this idea of this big green monster. I bet if you try it, you'd like. That;s my beer after work...and my kids love me..job loves me, hubby loves. I;m fun, not drunk, or disfunctional!

6republicanRick(1248 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

MzVirgo, I think all your weed smoking has affected your spelling skills.

7southsidedave(4840 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

@ MzVirgoLuv: You have anger management issues? No one is attacking you in the posts.

Marijuana is classified as an illegal substance - period.

8target145(18 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

he won't get all the time...they make him sport a wire,,,turn in his friends and anyone..to try to get off... the police will say...if you don't want to go to jail for 10 years then you better turn in anyone..for anything. Grass is a small part of what is going on in the mahoning valley.. currently I'am helping a 20 yr old kid that did not have any parent guidence..all his friends are doin herion...he asked me to help him.. with the lord on my side I will attempt to save this young man...I beleive in him..and i don't give up so easy...Police please stop the herion coming into y-town PLEASE Please save our kids.. god knows I'am trying.