Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

County Engineer Marsico to withdraw from race

Published: Tue, January 10, 2012 @ 7:58 a.m.

Long-time Mahoning County Engineer Richard Marsico is expected to withdraw from his re-election bid at a 1:30 p.m. news conference this afternoon at the engineer's office, 940 Bears Den Road.

"I was informed late last [night] from the co-chair of Marsico's reelection campaign that he wishes to withdraw from the March primary. I was told he respects the party endorsement and wanted unity for his office and the party." Democratic Party Chariman Dave Betras said in a news release.

Marsico lost the endorsement to newcomer Patrick Ginnetti Saturday.

"Dick has been an awesome officeholder and i respect him, his office and the work he has provided to our county," Betras said in the statement. "I know this decision was difficult for him and I respect him for making such a difficult decision."

Ginnetti will also attend the news conference, Betras said

Comments

1walter_sobchak(1847 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Now that he won't have his salary as our county engineer, I hope Mr. Marsico will be able to make ends meet on his "meager" public pension.

2UNCOMMONSENSE(353 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Disappointed, he did a good job as county engineer. The political machine wins again.

3BridgeGuy37(23 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

UNCOMMON

May I ask what you define as the "political machine?" Marsico and Kenner, et al. were the epitome of the political machine. They've been dolling out handouts to local contractors as well as themselves for years. Not to mention that Marsico is 70+, and already had a fortified pension before taking office. In addition he has helped his cadre attain "private" salary and given them the ability to fortify their own pensions. I love the fact that last year, when he handed out his raises to his exempt employees he said that he was trying to "retain them" with the county because their compensation packages were not competitive with the private sector. Give me a break. You want to talk about "Golden Parachute." 105,000 +/- base for Kenner's credentials with a guaranteed pension, health, vehicle, and perks? I'd ask you to find me a PE/PS in the tri-metro area of Akron, Youngstown and Cleveland that brings in that package, only works 40 hrs a week at best and has no accountability (like the responsibility of company ownership). Keep voting people like these folks in office and you'll be wishing for SB5 as a Christmas present when the Chinese take over.

4UNCOMMONSENSE(353 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

BridgeGuy, If he has a pension, he earned it and is entitled to it. If he chooses to continue to work, he is also entitled to do that. I guarantee that private sector engineers make plenty more then this man. Instead of being jealous and spiteful, you should go earn your engineering degree. The political machine that I spoke of was the county democratic party committee.

5BridgeGuy37(23 comments)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

COMMONNONSENSE, I'll address your response one point at a time. Jealous.. Of what? Spiteful.. towards whom? I have earned my engineering degree. A political machine defined by encouraging change?. No response needed. Yes Mr. Marsico earned and is deserved of his pension. The one he earned as a City employee, not the double dipping fortification of his last 12 years as County Engineer. He was only a contibutor to the inertia that the outgoing "machine" possessed. Believe that under his administration, the machine was alive and well. New faces, growth, and ideas will be conducive to forward progress. Not existing to collect a pension at the expense of others. I am thankful for public employees. However, they choose a life of scrutiny because their financial existence is reliant on that of others. It is their charge to be good stewards of our tax dollars. And to me, that is a large responsibility not to be taken lightly or advantage of.

6Sollicitus(1 comment)posted 2 years, 6 months ago

Are you serious? I know both Mr. Marsico and Mrs. Kenner personnally and professionally. Any suggestions that either of these two individuals do not hold high ethical standards and proficiency in their abilities to do their job is beyond ludicrous. Maybe you should spend a little more time researching before you post disparaging comments.